U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times

Advertisements

yep the "level headed" (cracks me up) are the ones that will bankrupt this nation. Sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post

1. again I have spoke to teachers that say they have a hard time getting the kids to want to do it, alot dont care.

2. I dont have to have cable or satellite here to see and hear spanish. Those satellite channels are not here in America they are broadcast for the other countries. I havent seen any Arabic papers available or Korean or Italian or German and so on.

3. And what asking for information on greencards is that hard? Call the embassy or government and ask. numbers are listed.
1. A child's ability to reason with assimilating into a culture is completely different from an adult's comprehension.

2. You don't need cable or satellite to hear Spanish on T.V. in California, I'm thinking it might be the same in Arizona, because of the high Latino population. In California we have about four non-cable Spanish channels.

3. Last answer I gave on number 3.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
1. A child's ability to reason with assimilating into a culture is completely different from an adult's comprehension.

2. You don't need cable or satellite to hear Spanish on T.V. in California, I'm thinking it might be the same in Arizona, because of the high Latino population. In California we have about four non-cable Spanish channels.

3. Last answer I gave on number 3.
You make no sense most of the time. You said you needed Satillite, almost all states have spanish channels, but not for other languages. And they are smart enough to know how to get here and find work but not smart enough to pick up a phone to call about greencards?

And I thought we were not talking about kids? Adults can learn if they really want to. Which I answered about alot of them dont care.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:29 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:

1. You make no sense most of the time. You said you needed Satillite, almost all states have spanish channels, but not for other languages.

2. And they are smart enough to know how to get here and find work but not smart enough to pick up a phone to call about greencards?

3.And I thought we were not talking about kids? Adults can learn if they really want to. Which I answered about alot of them dont care.
1. You need satellite or digital cabel most of the time in regards to other languages, to non-Spanish and non-English channels.

2. Why is there still a discussion on this? We don't know how many apply for green cards. You can't gage a desire to assimilate based on one factor either.

3. How do you know alot of Illegal Immigrant adults don't care about speaking English?! I've seen whole Latino ESL classrooms trying to learn English.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
1. You need satellite or digital cabel most of the time in regards to other languages, to non-Spanish and non-English channels.

2. Why is there still a discussion on this? We don't know how many apply for green cards. You can't gage a desire to assimilate based on one factor either.

3. How do you know alot of Illegal Immigrant adults don't care about speaking English?! I've seen whole Latino ESL classrooms trying to learn English.
What are you doing in an ESL adult class? The ones I haveseen are either for those trying to learn english, which you need to know some to become a citizen, or there are a bunch of Koreans in it.

And I was talking about the kids not caring, again not reading the posts.

And why should we have to have satillite to get those other language channels, we dont for spanish?

And again you can get the stats of the greencards on the net. Anyway got to move on to something else, I am getting a migraine for the crazy posts.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 66,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Hmm, in Freehold, NJ (the area I'm from) the Illegal Mex. population has exploded. Almost every church in town, and there are plenty, has a program for the Hispanic population. Dinners, shelter, Habitat for Humanity, and other ministries.

You did apologize for the generalization, but I don't know where it came from. What other religious groups or faiths do you know of that is doing so much for illegals? Really, I'm curious.
It came from my bad experiences with the Christian church in regard to illegal immigrants. I know the church does alot for poor people here and abroad. I have just not found the right church yet. As I mentioned before, my husband is Mexican and we get some nasty looks from people. I am very sorry for my comments. I know there are still some good Christians out there.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
ESL in public schools is for the kids. I know spanish and I am not immersed in it all the time, it is called effort, so what is there excuse? Alot of these adult ESl classes like the ones my friend teaches at here in Phx, only has Koreans and a couple of Russians in it, Why are they making the effort if it is to hard? Every freakin Korean that has ever done my nails has known english, hard to understand, yes, but they make the effort. how many Korean or chinese or russain or italian or arab newspaapers or radio or tv stations in america do you know of? Or have you ever heard press 2 for Korean? No why because they are trying to become part of America. My son knows German, and is now learning Japanese, I dont want to hear the too hard statements anymore, it is called effort and time. I also know some german and old gaelic from my grandmother. And you can go to the immigration website to find stats on the greencard applications.
I agree with you on the "too hard" statement. The English language is one of the most difficult to learn, but that's part of live in the U.S.
Life is hard, but we all have to deal with it. I do think the U.S. is too accomodating to the Spanish speaking population. It really bothers me that McDonald's menu is in Spanish also. My husband is working very hard to be fluent in English and I get frustrated when I don't see others doing the same.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
Because you generalize. You are putting all illegal immigrants in the same boat. If you witnessed a black person stealing, would you assume there all the same? Probably not. I understand it's any easy thing to do. I have seen (on three seperate occasions), illegal immigrants driving drunk. One rear-ended car and tried to run. I witnessed the accident and held the hand of the guy in rear-ended car while he spit his teeth out. The second time, an illegal immigrant stole a car, hit three people, then hit 5 cars, and finally hit a tree. The third time I followed the guy until the police came. Does it infuriate me that these people did this? Does it infuriate me that the came here illegaly and helped fuel the racism towards latinos? Yep. But, "they" are not all the same.
Illegal aliens are here because they have broken the law. They knowingly entered our country in violation of US immigration law. I am putting them in the same boat and that boat says "US Laws Don't Apply To Me" on one side and "Bring On The Benefits!" on the other. It does not matter if they are mean or nice, lettuce picker or MS-13 gang member, short or tall. The bottom line is THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. Here is what enough of them do that creates problems: Their very first action regarding a country they supposedly wish to embrace is to break our immigration laws and their second action is typically to purchase a stolen or forged ID (a felony). They then proceed to drive without a license or car insurance, live in crowded conditions that violate our housing codes.They deliberately have anchor babies paid for by the US taxpayer, as a matter of fact almost ALL medical care is covered by said taxpayer. They join gangs, drop out of HS, loudly demand rights and services reserved for Americans, march in our streets tying up traffic, burn our flag or fly it upside down. And these are people who only wish to live the American Dream? You could have fooled me.
These are people we are supposed to reward with US citizenship?
And it does not bother me on iota for you to call me racist or bigot. Got it, grasshopper?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
I agree with you on the "too hard" statement. The English language is one of the most difficult to learn, but that's part of live in the U.S.
Life is hard, but we all have to deal with it. I do think the U.S. is too accomodating to the Spanish speaking population. It really bothers me that McDonald's menu is in Spanish also. My husband is working very hard to be fluent in English and I get frustrated when I don't see others doing the same.
Good for your husband he sounds hard working and honest, I am sorry you recieve bad looks, there is no reason for that.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Who pays the coyotes? From what I understand here is AZ it can cost a couple of grand to get across the border.
The immigrants do. I know one guy who saved his money for 5 years and paid $1,200.00 to get across.

I know another guy from Honduras and it cost him $3,000.00. Various family members who are already living here pooled their money together to get him over.

Then, there are the others who walk....that costs nothing. Unless you're shot by one of the minutemen or worst yet a border officer ( I only know of of this happening two times ), or die of dehydration, or are killed by someone in Mara Salvatruchas, an extremely violent gang ( from El Salvador ) that targets poor people from Central America crossing Mexico to get to the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or