U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM

989 posts, read 5,326,759 times

Advertisements

5 reasons gets a 48 page long response?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM

1,393 posts, read 870,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
With still not a solution in site!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,293,306 times
And a lot of real off topic if I might add

Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Default You wanna solution...I got your solution...

I'd like to see this fixed, too. Business types & ultra-conservatives will hate my solution, which is:

- Stop illegal infiltration. All of it. Wall, fence, electronic means, whatever. On the south. And on the north.
- Pay our own US Citizens a Living Wage, about $9.50+ per hour.
- Every CITIZEN who works gets health care (so do kids, invalids, retirees).
- Pay illegals to go home. Each one going back VOLUNTARILY gets $250.00 when they get off the plane or bus.
- Buy their household items or ship them back for them.
- Illegals returning home VOLUNTARILY under this plan go to the top of a list for later re-entry as legal immigrants.
- Illegals NOT coming in voluntarily, that are rounded up, will NEVER be allowed back in.
- People hiring illegals get steep fines, jail time for repeat offenders, loss of business licenses, etc.

Discussion of above program:

Americans cannot afford to work for minimum wage and no benefits; you can't afford to pay for rent, food, clothing, medical care, much less a few nice items (cable TV, a few beers). My sister drove all the way across Baltimore for a bookkeeping job paying just $10/hour - BECAUSE it had health care benefits. The drive was too much for her; she gave up and now sits at home waiting to turn 62 and start getting Social Security. She would gladly walk up to the local golden arches and sling burgers for a Living Wage and medical benefits. Of course, fast food jobs don't do that for the workers. Millions of Americans, like my sister, are sitting it out rather than go backwards towards minimum wage poverty. Meanwhile, illegals come here, work for minimum wage or thereabouts, no benefits, no rights, no Workmen's Comp if they get hurt. Nothing but a few measly bucks. And living ten to an apartment.

As long as companies get away with hiring illegals they will continue to do it. Their lies are totally transparent, the appearance of Plausible Deniability (but I didn't KNOW the sub-contractor was using illegals - sure).

Illegals are glad to get here and take these jobs. It's better than the state of nothingness they had back home. As long as they do that, Americans will sit it out, losing lots of construction & other work to illegals.

But if we make it worthwhile for Americans to get back to work, with a Living Wage & Health Care benefits, they will. Millions will rejoin the workforce and fill the jobs now drawing the illegals. My sister would go back to work, but it isn't possible in the current rigged game that works against our own citizens. If we give our own people the basic dignity that we all should have in our work, we WILL pickup the trash, scrub the toilets in your offices, mow your lawns, paint your houses, etc.

For 20 years, since the 1986 amnesty, 10 different US Congresses have been sworn in, plus 5 Presidential Inaugurations (1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004). None solved the border problem. Not the Dems. Not the GOP with their "contract for America" back in 1994. None of them. They took the campaign money of corporate America and ultra-conservatives (whose game plan is to break all labor unions) and winked at the border. Now we have a crisis looming. Millions of illegals are sick & tired of being taken advantage of and being on the short end of the stick. Like blacks in the 1960's. This will get ugly if not handled respectfully.

The gap between rich and poor has widened in the past several years and is getting worse. This is a recipe for disaster, rioting, burned cities. Seen it before when people were treated badly and denied human dignity & decency. In a recent Washington Post, there's a story about how this year, for the first time, all 400 wealthiest Americans in Forbes annual survey, all 400 are Billionaires. That would be okay if the tide of money was lifting up everyone's boat, but it isn't. Rough sailing ahead.....

So, all that said, getting Americans back to work will put millions of illegals out of work. The second half of the fix is to get them back home. We cannot round them up at gunpoint, like when they broke down the door of a house in Miami to remove Elian Gonzales and return him to his father in Cuba. That sort of operation costs a fortune. That's a ludicrous image and it won't work. Our nation will look as despicable as the Gestapo taking people at gunpoint in WW-II.

They illegals came here with an incentive (work, money) and will respond to an incentive to leave. If they leave voluntarily and get with the plan to go home, we will put them at the top of the list to come back later, as legal aliens, on a track to citizenship. I would meet them at the border and personally thank them for coming here to have done our dirty work, our hard work, our heavy lifting, wish them well, thank them for going home voluntarily and hope they come back someday as legal aliens and become citizens.

But if we have to go out and find them, they go home without a cash incentive, and will go on a list to never re-enter legally.

It will cost us, but it costs a lot of money now for them to stay (school, health care in the emergency rooms of hospitals, police, social services, the list goes on). We can pay to do the right thing, or we can pay for the wrong things.

It's up to our leadership to fix the mess. We have to beat on them, hard and often, to get their attention, else nothing will change.

s/Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM

39 posts, read 66,096 times
[quote=Mike from back east;389276]I'd like to see this fixed, too. Business types & ultra-conservatives will hate my solution, which is:

- Illegals returning home VOLUNTARILY under this plan go to the top of a list for later re-entry as legal immigrants.

I think having them serve in the military is a good idea. IMO, if they serve in the military, hence give back to the country.....then they should absolutely be eligiblefor permanent residency.

What do you think?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM

178 posts, read 680,538 times
Taken from a real estate blog ... it's just in fun!!
Illegal aliens are the granite countertops of immigrants. Illegal immigration (or undocumented citizens as some more enlightened people call them) have been in the news a lot lately. I try to avoid discussing hot button political issues on this blog because the only ideology that interests me is capitalism and the only political party I belong to is the green party (green as in cash, not drugged out tree hugging hippies). However I feel a need to speak up on this issue because illegal immigration concerns housing prices. To put it bluntly, illegal immigrants add value to an area. They are, as I said earlier, the granite countertops of immigrants. Why? All one needs to do is look at the areas with the highest immigration rates and what do you see? That's right, the highest prices. Let me explain all of the reasons why:

1) Lincoln didn't free these people. Every successful nation needs a core group of poor, hardworking, easily exploited people. Let's face it Americans don't want to work hard. And why should we? We want to live a life of ease, comfort, and luxury. And that's hard to do on a middle class salary. However, we certainly don't want to spend our days toiling in filth for low wages. No my friends, we want to sit at some desk, cruise the internet or chat on our cell phone all day, and drive home in our H2 or BMW to relax in front of our big screen tv. In order to afford the lifestyle we deserve we need nannies, cooks, gardeners, etc willing to work for low wages. And you ain't gonna get Americans to work those kinds of jobs for those kinds of wages. Hence, these workers free wealth by allowing us to spend our money on important things like cars, boats, housing, instead of trivial expenses like childcare or salaries.

2) Diversity is good. Let's face it, white folk are boring. Other cultures add variety to our society. We want to have 200 different restaurant choices instead of just 10. We want our children to be able to date a rainbow. People crave diversity and they're willing to pay a premium to be able to have it.

3) Creative destruction. Let me tell you the famous parable of the broken window. A shopkeeper's window is broken by a little boy. But soon people realized that the broken window makes work for the window maker, who will then buy bread which benefits the baker, who then buys shoes, benefiting the shoe maker, etc. Eventually everyone concludes that the little boy was not guilty of vandalism, instead he performed a public service by creating jobs for everyone in town.

While people crave diversity, they also crave separateness. They love diversity, just not in their neighborhood. A few miles away is about as close as people really want it. So what happens when millions of our undocumented friends flood a city? Scared white people sell their homes and move somewhere else. However this causes a smaller and smaller area of "habitable" land to be bid up by more and more people. And remember the prices of even the "uninhabitable" areas go up too because their prices are based on these rising prices. So the destruction of whole areas of the city cause all the areas to go up in price. Often dramatically.

Do you really think prices would be going up this much if there were not these demographic pressures? And these changing immigration patterns are permanent. We will be getting 1 million or more illegals every year from now on. This will "destroy" more and more parts of the country causing prices to soar (the invisible hand of 20% appreciation rears its beautiful head).

4) New paradigm of financing. Smart lenders realize that these hardworking undocumented citizens are prime customers for our sophisticated financing packages. They are clamoring to own houses here and the lending standards will accommodate them. These millions of illegal alien housing investors will bid up prices even more. Remember Darwin's laws of supply and demand. We have limited supplies and ever growing demand. Put these two together with the lighter fluid of easy credit and you have a mushroom cloud inferno of price escalation.

So my friends, don't oppose our guests from the south. Instead, welcome them with open arms because every illegal alien is money in your pocket. And everyone loves money in their pocket -- even renters.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 AM

1,511 posts, read 7,087,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I agree, especially since the thread was meant as a joke.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Top 5 Reasons Why I love Illegal Immigrants:

1) They do jobs I don't want to do.
2) Help make cities more vibrant.
3) I love Latin women.
4) They help divert attention from us African Americans.
5) I love Mexican and Central American food.
Who do you think did these jobe before the Illegal Immigrants came here? maybe only 5 or 10 years ago. Thats right white Americans did them, And White Americans will do them again as soon as the Illegal Immigrants go back to where they came from.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM

1,511 posts, read 7,087,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Who do you think did these jobe before the Illegal Immigrants came here? maybe only 5 or 10 years ago. Thats right white Americans did them, And White Americans will do them again as soon as the Illegal Immigrants go back to where they came from.
Maybe true, but Latin women are still hot!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 63,043 times
Sweeping generalities are a dangerous mindset.

Much like LaQuinta alluded to, I personally would rather live next door to a single house filled with ten hard working mexican immigrant families then one white trash crack house. I too hate the crappy neighborhoods, the graffiti, the gangs, but why are we blaming one group of people for all of the ills of our fair cities and towns?

Does it occur to anyone that if these people could come here legally they would? It is "the tired, the poor, the huddled masses longing to breathe free" that are scaling those fences because they don't have the requisite bribe money to get a legal pass out of the country. Mexico is a basically corupt third world country, in some places you are lucky if you are able to have even the basics we take for granted such as indoor plumbing and electricity. If it were the lush playground for the rich that exists only in places like Cabo why in the heck would they risk their life and limb to leave? Next time you head to Rosarita step out of the cantina and into one of the Colonials and see how these people live then ask yourself if maybe we shouldn't be trying harder to come up with a reasonable solution to this issue.

My daughter's godmother is Mexican. Her uneducated but hardworking parents came to this county illegally in the 1960's. They were fortunate to become legal during amnesty. They have six children who were born in this country. All have a minimum of a high school education, most have more. All have excellent jobs, two of them work for the state government. All are married and have children of their own, many of these children are honor students in high school and college and only the future can tell us what honorable contributors to American society they will become. These are the children and grandchildren of a garbage collector and housekeeper. So sorry if they took the jobs you were hoping your parents would have gotten. If the naysayers in this immigration issue had their way this family would still be in Mexico, their equally uneducated children would be selling Chiclet on the street corner to the amusement of the tourists. And there are so many people who would be that much worse off for having never had them as a part of their lives. But thankfully, once upon a time, someone thought it was a good idea to come up with a solution.

Guests with an invitation always seem to behave better than those that crash the party, don't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or