U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Many who love illegals, are simply loving themselves.
That's just about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 AM
 
Location: West Creek
1,720 posts, read 3,931,227 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Excuse me while I barf.

They do the jobs you don't want to do? I am so sick of hearing that they do the jobs that we Americans don't want to do! That's not true. Since when do Americans not want to do construction jobs??? Landscaping jobs??? Give me a break. They take jobs that Americans most certainly WOULD do, it's just that they do them for below minimum wage and the cheap owner of the company chooses to go that route.

The truth is that Americans will do ANY job if the pay is right. When construction paid good, landscaping paid good - Americans did the work. These immigrants brought wages down!!!

They help make citizens more vibrant??? What city is that? The city I lived in that was filled with them was not vibrant because of them. Instead they spread around their mess with gangs, graffitti, etc.

They help divert attention from AA's? What on earth does that mean? They are making things worse for you guys. They are helping to keep wages low. And from what I've seen, the blacks and hispanics fight each other!!!

You can love latin women all you want but that doesn't have anything to do with illegals directly. You can love LEGAL latin women.

And their food? I love mexican food as well. No doubt! But when I walk into the restaurants that I love their food at it's usually white people working there and cooking and serving it up. It doesn't take a mexican to make a taco anymore than it takes an American to make a hot dog!
Do you honestly see a college educated citizen going to a low tier job as a construction grunt? or can you see a person with a phd choosing to go crop the fields for 7grand a season? .... Serously???

Mod cut-derogatory


Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 12-07-2008 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
[quote=svg210;6458913]Do you honestly see a college educated citizen going to a low tier job as a construction grunt? or can you see a person with a phd choosing to go crop the fields for 7grand a season? .... Serously???


Not all americans are college educated... In fact illegals have forced many cnstruction workers from their trades.
Not all farms use illegal migrant workers. Many use high school kids and legal migrants.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 12-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: partially orphaned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,198 posts, read 2,865,775 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Do you honestly see a college educated citizen going to a low tier job as a construction grunt? or can you see a person with a phd choosing to go crop the fields for 7grand a season? .... Serously???

Mod cut-derogatory
Wow, its funny how so many people think it is such a big deal to be a college grad. There is this stuck up attitude like they are better than your average citizen. Well guess what, there are a whole lot of college grads working at Burger King and Wal Mart these days while a field educated person like myself makes $30/hour on a bad day. Last year I brought home more than your average college grad and I never went to college. I went to street college, where you learn by actually working.

Funny you pointed out construction grunt as an undesirable job when your average helper starts out at $12 to $15 dollars an hour with little or no experience. Sure, doctors and lawyers make more than your average citizen. But they are not the norm, they are the exception. And as long as this system keeps running like it is we will always need these guys so they don't have to worry about changing careers.

But I would suggest that you may want reconsider your idea of a "low tier" job. Because the job market is crumbling and its starting to look like us "low tier" workers will be getting closer to the top of the food chain shortly. That is of course, if we can start lowering the illegal population. Because as long as they are here sucking up every job they can our wages will remain frozen and Americans will be out of work. And believe me, if a college grad is starving he/she will be more than happy to swing a hammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wow, its funny how so many people think it is such a big deal to be a college grad. There is this stuck up attitude like they are better than your average citizen. Well guess what, there are a whole lot of college grads working at Burger King and Wal Mart these days while a field educated person like myself makes $30/hour on a bad day. Last year I brought home more than your average college grad and I never went to college. I went to street college, where you learn by actually working.

Funny you pointed out construction grunt as an undesirable job when your average helper starts out at $12 to $15 dollars an hour with little or no experience. Sure, doctors and lawyers make more than your average citizen. But they are not the norm, they are the exception. And as long as this system keeps running like it is we will always need these guys so they don't have to worry about changing careers.

But I would suggest that you may want reconsider your idea of a "low tier" job. Because the job market is crumbling and its starting to look like us "low tier" workers will be getting closer to the top of the food chain shortly. That is of course, if we can start lowering the illegal population. Because as long as they are here sucking up every job they can our wages will remain frozen and Americans will be out of work. And believe me, if a college grad is starving he/she will be more than happy to swing a hammer.
And you are correct.

People out there are grumbling about how the cost of a college education is becoming unaffordable. Oh well. We have a glut of 'over educated' folks out there as it is----------with few real world job skills.

As you alluded too: outside of law, medicine, engineering and a few other fields----------most $$$ careers started out with doing menial work.

The above stated: I have no problem with taking classes/training seminars to 'burnish' one's skills as they advance

Note: my rant is directed towards the BA/BS on higher levels of formal education-----------and AA/AS degree can indeed open many doors in the workplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
I am a college grad. However, I have never felt superior to anyone simply by virtue of my degrees. If anything, I have always felt blessed to have had the opportunity to pursue a college education. Many equally qualified people have not been as fortunate.

When I first started my career, I worked for a major trucking company. I dare say, most of the truck drivers and mechanics earned more than this college-educated person; as well as, many of my other ‘professional’ co-workers. One has only to examine the average salary of teachers with Bachelor’s and Master’s as case in point. Moreover, there are many college-educated people who lack the most rudimentary level of common sense. I know; I have had the misfortune of working with several.

Many professionals are complacent because they feel illegal immigration, outsourcing/insourcing, won’t impact their cushy lives. They fail to realize there are very few ‘secure’ professions in today’s greed-driven market. We have already witnessed firms deliberately disqualifying U.S. citizens in favor of H-1B foreigners. Wake up people!

If need be, I will work in ANY ‘honest’ capacity to support myself and my son.

As a side note: It pays to treat people with respect. Unlike many of my ‘professional’ colleagues, I was always friendly with the truckers and mechanics. I was involved in an accident while working there. A drunk driver collided with my car and several others. A few days earlier, another female employee had a flat tire a couple of blocks from work. She called the shop, but no one assisted her with her flat. My accident occurred approximately 20 miles from work. The Service Manager in charge of the mechanics, sent a flatbed tow truck to retrieve my car, and took it to the repair shop. All free of charge to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am a college grad. However, I have never felt superior to anyone simply by virtue of my degrees. If anything, I have always felt blessed to have had the opportunity to pursue a college education. Many equally qualified people have not been as fortunate.

When I first started my career, I worked for a major trucking company. I dare say, most of the truck drivers and mechanics earned more than this college-educated person; as well as, many of my other ‘professional’ co-workers. One has only to examine the average salary of teachers with Bachelor’s and Master’s as case in point. Moreover, there are many college-educated people who lack the most rudimentary level of common sense. I know; I have had the misfortune of working with several.

Many professionals are complacent because they feel illegal immigration, outsourcing/insourcing, won’t impact their cushy lives. They fail to realize there are very few ‘secure’ professions in today’s greed-driven market. We have already witnessed firms deliberately disqualifying U.S. citizens in favor of H-1B foreigners. Wake up people!

If need be, I will work in ANY ‘honest’ capacity to support myself and my son.

As a side note: It pays to treat people with respect. Unlike many of my ‘professional’ colleagues, I was always friendly with the truckers and mechanics. I was involved in an accident while working there. A drunk driver collided with my car and several others. A few days earlier, another female employee had a flat tire a couple of blocks from work. She called the shop, but no one assisted her with her flat. My accident occurred approximately 20 miles from work. The Service Manager in charge of the mechanics, sent a flatbed tow truck to retrieve my car, and took it to the repair shop. All free of charge to me.
Was the drunk driver by any chance an illegal alien?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Was the drunk driver by any chance an illegal alien?
This was 20 years ago. No, the drunk driver was not an illegal. He was a U.S. citizen, drunken fool, who easily could have killed someone. No one has remotely implied that only illegals are drunk drivers, so you can put away your angry face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Do you honestly see a college educated citizen going to a low tier job as a construction grunt? or can you see a person with a phd choosing to go crop the fields for 7grand a season? .... Serously???

Mod cut-derogatory
Seriously???...I doubt it would come to that, but if it did, I know plenty of educated citizens (including myself) that would do what has to been done in order for the family to survive. Without exception.

A college educated citizen can hold an "I'm too good for that job" attitude for only so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 7,037,511 times
Reputation: 1248
I love them because as a business owner, I have a huge pool of people to employ that will work very hard and not expect competitive wages. This allows me and my family to live very well. I take home a very generous salary. I then have money to spend on tangible items as well as entertainment and travel. The money that I spend on those things, goes back into the economy and benefits all economic classes. Trickle down economics, if you will. If I had to pay someone $15.00 an hour and benefits, I would not have as much disposable cash. If I can pay someone $8.00 an hour and not provide benefits, I have more profit after expenses and a good portion of that will go into my investments and back into the economy as I buy things. American will do the labor and semi skilled jobs that I provide, but they want nearly double as much in pay.

In real life, I don't own a business and I don't employ people. This was sarcastic and is my feeling as to why illegals are employed. It benefits someone; our fellow legal Americans who focus on the bottom line - period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top