U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 AM
 
22 posts, read 14,105 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

How do you guys get close enough to people to hear whether or not they speak Spanish or English? You guys must live in New York or San Francisco where you spend a lot of time getting around on foot.

In Los Angeles, I drive around. I don't hear what every person on the street is speaking.

You say you haven't seen one illegal working a job. I'm going to go out on a limb myself, and assume you came to this conclusion because you havent seen any illegals on the streets working.

Cool. I just wondered if you saw any Latinos working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
How do you guys get close enough to people to hear whether or not they speak Spanish or English? You guys must live in New York or San Francisco where you spend a lot of time getting around on foot.

In Los Angeles, I drive around. I don't hear what every person on the street is speaking.

You say you haven't seen one illegal working a job. I'm going to go out on a limb myself, and assume you came to this conclusion because you havent seen any illegals on the streets working.

Cool. I just wondered if you saw any Latinos working?
I hear quite a few stereotypical Latinos speak Spanish virtually every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
 
22 posts, read 14,105 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I hear quite a few stereotypical Latinos speak Spanish virtually every day.
And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
How do you guys get close enough to people to hear whether or not they speak Spanish or English? You guys must live in New York or San Francisco where you spend a lot of time getting around on foot.

In Los Angeles, I drive around. I don't hear what every person on the street is speaking.

You say you haven't seen one illegal working a job. I'm going to go out on a limb myself, and assume you came to this conclusion because you havent seen any illegals on the streets working.

Cool. I just wondered if you saw any Latinos working?
If you work in,for and with the community/Society long enough you learn alot about the people..whether you want to or not.
I think that your job and/or lifstyle is more isolated than most us. If it wasn't you would be asking thee questions,..you'd know the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Reputation: 4611
BTW.. I lived in San Bernardino.Ca...50 mi.s east of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
 
22 posts, read 14,105 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you work in,for and with the community/Society long enough you learn alot about the people..whether you want to or not.
I think that your job and/or lifstyle is more isolated than most us. If it wasn't you would be asking thee questions,..you'd know the answers.
hahah. Yeah, you got me. I'm a millionaire with a luxurious office far above you common folk.
Nice attempt at a spin. But I think you're a lot more disconnected with the "people" than you thnk you are. But I'm sure you go to a lot of them there marches with them nice folks you met on the internet.

But I like how used this spin to get attention away from the real question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
hahah. Yeah, you got me. I'm a millionaire with a luxurious office far above you common folk.
Nice attempt at a spin. But I think you're a lot more disconnected with the "people" than you thnk you are. But I'm sure you go to a lot of them there marches with them nice folks you met on the internet.

But I like how used this spin to get attention away from the real question.
I gave you direct answers to your question. If you feel they were deverted from the question........explain your theory.


FYI
I have Latino neighbors/friends that work for the City and County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,572 posts, read 18,004,772 times
Reputation: 5929
Wonder how many people have noticed.....

Many Hispanic persons looking for employment at Home Depot...construction sites etc

Many White persons standing at intersections (islands) with signs looking for a free handout (money).

Have never seen a Hispanic asking for a Free handout...wonder why?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
And?
The cold reality is that a high percentage of Spanish speakers are here illegally-----------most Americans of Hispanic background prefer to speak English.

I strongly suspect that to obtain a green card that said individual needs to know English------------which rules out most illegals from anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,901,311 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Wonder how many people have noticed.....

Many Hispanic persons looking for employment at Home Depot...construction sites etc

Many White persons standing at intersections (islands) with signs looking for a free handout (money).

Have never seen a Hispanic asking for a Free handout...wonder why?.
Because they live 30 to one three bedroom house...and 10 supports the other 20. Just a guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top