Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
Getting a green card is not as easy as you think.

And I agree with you, more people should be learning English.
Both sides of my families did it. So can they. You have to want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 04:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
If most did, we wouldnt need all the spanish translators and spanish forms and signs and press one for english!!!
What bothers me is that some of the more radical illegals expect everything to be in spanish to accomodate them. This does not help anyone. English is spoken by far the majority in the US and IMO everyone should have at least a basic command of the language. If nothing else, people should at least know how to report a fire, medical emergency or be able to report a lost child in English. If a person is concerned they might forget how to say these things in english
in an emergency, write it down. Carry a card with your medical history and medications listed on it with you at all times. As a person becomes more proficient in english they eventually won't need these. You are right, english is a difficult language to learn and information is needed in both languages for people who are working on learning english. But having bilingual info available should not be used as an excuse to avoid learning english. I think all citizens should be able to understand at least some english. I know this would be very difficult for elderly people who have been speaking spanish for 60+ years. Maybe the level required to pass could include only very basic things for them.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What bothers me is that some of the more radical illegals expect everything to be in spanish to accomodate them. This does not help anyone. English is spoken by far the majority in the US and IMO everyone should have at least a basic command of the language. If nothing else, people should at least know how to report a fire, medical emergency or be able to report a lost child in English. If a person is concerned they might forget how to say these things in english
in an emergency, write it down. Carry a card with your medical history and medications listed on it with you at all times. As a person becomes more proficient in english they eventually won't need these. You are right, english is a difficult language to learn and information is needed in both languages for people who are working on learning english. But having bilingual info available should not be used as an excuse to avoid learning english. I think all citizens should be able to understand at least some english. I know this would be very difficult for elderly people who have been speaking spanish for 60+ years. Maybe the level required to pass could include only very basic things for them.

Agreed, I dont think they need to be fluent, but basic skills would be nice, and they need to use it. use it or lose it as they say. Alot do know english, they just wont use it. If I can learn more than two languages, they can.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM

I did see something sad and positive both in the same news stories. A glendale cop was gunned down here in AZ today, he was only 24. While he was laying in the street a resident of the neighborhood came out in the middle of the gunfight to help him, he was hispanic and needed an interpretor, but said he came out because he saw the cop needed help he stayed with him clearing the blood from his throat. I was like, wow, now if they could ALL be like him, he should be very proud of what he did. The guys in the car were said to be hispanic as well , 6 of them 3 got caught.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Agreed, I dont think they need to be fluent, but basic skills would be nice, and they need to use it. use it or lose it as they say. Alot do know english, they just wont use it. If I can learn more than two languages, they can.
I gotta tell ya- in college I worked in a Belgian chocloate shop in Tampa. The owners spoke French and German. I had high school French. We talked about everything- rude customers, politics, we compared chocolates and discussed what we liked/disliked about them, we made many jokes.

I went to Mexico and spent a night out partying with several spanish-speaking folks- I was the only non-Mexcian citizen and English speaker, with elementary school spanish. We discussed everything- our kids, Mexican politics, tequila....

And there is a Russian family whose son is friends with mine and the grandparents don't speak English, I don't speak Russian, yet we've talked about Fresh Market, wine, the schools here, our home owner association board members...

People can communicate, no matter the language barrier, when they want to. I think it must all be a matter of attitude- theirs and ours. My son had an arguement with a Bosnian kid and the kid hit him. And it wasn't the first time- the kid has quite a temper. I didn't understand a thing his mom said and I venture to guess, neither did she. We were both so upset and my voice was raised. She knew I was mad. There is still resentment today.

I've met speakers of other languages that were very insecure about their English. They thought that they would appear stupid and so preferred to speak in their native language and use a friend to translate. I'm not defending all, but I have encouraged SOL (speakers of other languages) to speak to me and they frequently apologize for their spotty English, but it works out for the most part.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
The guys in the car were said to be hispanic as well , 6 of them 3 got caught.
A fact of little importance, resulting in bias view points and ignorant thinking depending on how the user has used the statement.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Thumbs down Illogical Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;382301
Both sides of my families did it. So can they. .
There's many more people who apply for green card's in the present day then when your family received a green card, resulting in less supply of green cards.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 AM

39 posts, read 74,513 times
Quote:
I am sorry he went threw that. We are influenced by what we experience during our lives. We have been in construction for 20 years. We have lost jobs due to the illegals, we lost our business because we wouldnt hire them and couldnt compete with those businesses that did. We are still around them everyday, I get hasseled daily by them, dont even want to repeat what they say, but since I am female you might get the drift. 50 of accost you at Homedepot when my husband is picking up lumber. the argue with my husband at the jobsites, call him names and gringo and such, and proceed to ignore his instructions, which then means my husband has to put his bags on to fix it. We have lived in 4 states and have seen the mess, the neighborhoods, the theft ( husband caught them stealing his tools and materials) we have run across hundreds and hundreds that have no problem telling us what they think of us and our country. I know there are some that really are here for good intentions, but they have been few and far between in our case. I welcom all that want to come a be a legal part of this country. My ancestors came over starving with no money and were treated horribly, used as laborers, spit on, beatin or killed, were homeless with no help from anyone, but they assimulated and became productive americans. That is all we ask.

Being a woman and working in an industry typically run by men is a challenge. I have been hit on and stared at in a way that makes me want to run for cover. I'll give you that. But, in my experience some Latinos will treat me poorly while others show so much respect it's embarrassing. It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with Latinos within the construction industry. However, I would urge you to try and meet Latinos from all walks of life. There are some that come here, never learn English, take from the government, and work low-paying jobs. But, many come her for a better life. And they work hard for it. They want their children to have a future. I wonder if it's a work industry thing? My experience in landscaping has been mostly positive, while yours in construction has been negative. That's interesting to me.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I have issues with anyone citizen or not that uses our system and treats their neighborhoods like dumping grounds. This isnt about race, has nothing to do with it, it is about alot of illegals, treating america like crap.
Good. Just making sure. I really think you and I are mostly on the same page. We just differ on the types of experiences we have had. And until we fix the visa system I have no problem with good hardworking people crossing here illegally.

Our posts have started some conversations between my husband and myself. About government assistance and who should get it or not. Something he brought up is that there seems to be no education for immigrants about who pays for the assistance and how much it costs. People just sign up for it and that's it. He feels if people were educated about it, it may help some.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
If most did, we wouldnt need all the spanish translators and spanish forms and signs and press one for english!!!
The problem is that the ones who don't speak English stand out more than the ones who do. Many many speak English. But, there is still a tremendous problem with the many who do not. I do not think someone should be given a green card unless they speak some english and have documentation showing they are attending english classes. I agree with you, it does tax our government to provide these services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration