Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, we don't! Stop playing victim here. Actually it is hispanics themselves that blur the lines between legal and illegal all the time.
Because we have to stick together! Our grandparents, some our parents came to this country illegaly, to provide their family a better life, what is wrong w that? Its no different than what your forefathers did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I am loyal to my country, but im also loyal to my ehtnicity, cuz theirs a clear double standard, when it comes to human rightS, of our neighbors to the south, cuba is run by a dictator that hates america, but yet if a cuban steps in american soil, hes granted immediate citizenship, double standard i think so!
You are absolutely right that there is a double/triple/quadruple standard with regard to immigration.
Cubans get in free (as long as they are on land), but the Chinese get booted back to China. The Hmong get an easy pass. but then they suffered and died for the US during the Vietnam war so that really is only fair. Then there are the Sudanese who seem to have a fairly easy time of immigrating to the US. Of course they face genocide in their homeland.

I guess immigration is dependent on what kind of situation the immigrant is facing back 'home'. Genocide and political persecution are grounds for an 'easier' time immigrating. Poverty is not.
Of course the US also has a responsibility to its citizens and legal immigrants (and yes, that include the latinos) to ensure that the people that are allowed to immigrate will be a benefit to US society and not a drain on it. Therefore there will always be a set amount reserved for immigrants that are poor and uneducated, but a larger amount should be reserved for those that are educated. In any case the government has a duty to ensure that no criminals are allowed to emigrate, and that the number of people who are allowed to immigrate each year not be so much that it will overtax our infrastructure and environment.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Because we have to stick together! Our grandparents, some our parents came to this country illegaly, to provide their family
Quote:
a better life
, what is wrong w that? Its no different than what your forefathers did!
"a better life" is just a simply excuse used by most illegal because it has no explaination.

And that's getting old.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
I am loyal to my country, but im also loyal to my ehtnicity, cuz theirs a clear double standard, when it comes to human rightS, of our neighbors to the south, cuba is run by a dictator that hates america, but yet if a cuban steps in american soil, hes granted immediate citizenship, double standard i think so!
The problem is with most hispanics is that they are MORE loyal to their ethnic group than this country. That creates a divided loyalty because many of their ethnic group are here illegally in our country. I do agree with you however about the Cubans. I think "wet foot, dry foot" is biased.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM

It definately is biased, how are you goiNG to let a person that grew up w communist ideals come in to america just because he made it to florida, and it doenst matter what type of hardships any group is facing in their country, everybody should be treated equal, poverty is not a joke!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It definately is biased, how are you goiNG to let a person that grew up w communist ideals come in to america just because he made it to florida, and it doenst matter what type of hardships any group is facing in their country, everybody should be treated equal, poverty is not a joke!
The thing is though that Mexico is a democracy and Cuba isn't. So Mexicans can fight for their rights in their own country.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Because we have to stick together! Our grandparents, some our parents came to this country illegaly, to provide their family a better life, what is wrong w that? Its no different than what your forefathers did!
It is wrong to violate a country's immigration laws no matter what their reasons for doing so. Since the illegals have come in such large numbers in recent years their quality of life might be better but ours isn't. Does that sound fair to you? So you think it is ok for your family to have broken the law to come here assuming that you are a U.S. citizen and obligated to follow its laws? I don't stick up for law breakers just because they are family. That is just plain selfish.

My ancestors didn't come here illegally and that is the big difference. They came here within whatever laws were in place at the time.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Good thing Mexicans from Mexico dont suffer hardships, maybe just the mere fact that they killed 2000 people in Juarez last year is not reason enough to try to leave to a better place to protect their children and family!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Funny thing is ever since the :influx: of illegals [mostly mexicans] in the last 10 years, the fee to take the citizenship test has gone up from 75.00$ to 350.00$ knowing that most mexicans in mexico make about 25 dollars a week! They made the citizenship test harder, theirs questions on there, that alot of gun ho americans couldnt answer!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is ever since the :influx: of illegals [mostly mexicans] in the last 10 years, the fee to take the citizenship test has gone up from 75.00$ to 350.00$ knowing that most mexicans in mexico make about 25 dollars a week! They made the citizenship test harder, theirs questions on there, that alot of gun ho americans couldnt answer!
So why would you think that raising fees has anything to do with Mexicans? Other immigrants would have to pay the same fees. I would assume that Mexicans with a green card or other legal papers applying for citizenship would already be living here so why would they be making $25.00 a week? That wouldn't even be minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration