U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times

Advertisements

08-31) 04:00 PDT Minneapolis-St. Paul -- Pay attention, San Francisco and other self-proclaimed "sanctuary cities." The draft of 2008 Republican Platform wants cities that flout federal immigration law to pay a price - pocketing fewer federal dollars - for their sanctuary politics.

"The rule of law means guaranteeing to law enforcement the tools and coordination to deport criminal aliens without delay," the draft explains. And: "It means requiring cooperation among federal, state and local law enforcement and real consequences, including the denial of federal funds, for self-described sanctuary cities, which stand in open defiance of the federal and state statutes that expressly prohibit such sanctuary policies, and which endanger the lives of U.S. citizens." (My italics.)

In simple, direct language, the platform also asserts, "We oppose amnesty. The rule of law suffers if government policies encourage or reward illegal activity."

These are not the positions of John McCain. McCain supports a path to citizenship for otherwise law-abiding illegal aliens. He won't call it amnesty, but the GOP platform does.

Source: Ohio Jobs & Justice Political Action Committee (links.sfgate.com/ZERU)
http://www.sfgate.com:80/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/31/EDUL12LM70.DTL

If the GOP can get McLame to commit to their platform, I will be happy to cast my vote for him. I just wish he'd chosen Romney. I would have been a lot more comfortable voting republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
I'm happy with Palin. She's conservative, she's a member of the NRA and she goes against the establishment. I haven't seen her position on illegal aliens yet, but I'd bet it is stricter than McLame's...

Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
If the GOP can get McLame to commit to their platform, I will be happy to cast my vote for him. I just wish he'd chosen Romney. I would have been a lot more comfortable voting republican.
I would vote for SpongeBob if it meant denying federal funding to sanctuary cities, and getting rid of illegals. That is, as long as he was also qualified in other areas.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'm happy with Palin. She's conservative, she's a member of the NRA and she goes against the establishment. I haven't seen her position on illegal aliens yet, but I'd bet it is stricter than McLame's...
I have 2 problems with Palin.

1. The reason McCain chose her - calculated risk in his desperate attempt to rake in the 18M former Shrillary supporters;

2. McCain is not an intelligent man. I respect him for his service to our country but lets face it, he is no rocket scientist. Additionally, he is older than dirt and not in the best of health. It is not a stretch to believe that it is a very real possibility that he might die during his first term.

Palin is young, inexperienced and from what I have read she has only held two political positions. One as the mayor of a small town (pop. less than 10K) and she left them 22 MILLION in debt.

Then there is her sum total of 1.5 years as a governor. IMHO, in the event of McCain's demise her lack of experience and knowledge would be the equivalent of Bush lite in a woman's body.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Ya but she's hot

Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:

1. The reason McCain chose her - calculated risk in his desperate attempt to rake in the 18M former Shrillary supporters;

2. McCain is not an intelligent man. I respect him for his service to our country but lets face it, he is no rocket scientist. Additionally, he is older than dirt and not in the best of health. It is not a stretch to believe that it is a very real possibility that he might die during his first term.

Palin is young, inexperienced and from what I have read she has only held two political positions. One as the mayor of a small town (pop. less than 10K) and she left them 22 MILLION in debt.

Then there is her sum total of 1.5 years as a governor. IMHO, in the event of McCain's demise her lack of experience and knowledge would be the equivalent of Bush lite in a woman's body.
Unfortunately; you are probably correct, hook, line and sinker.

Now: if McCain had been able to 'sweet talk' Condi...................

Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya but she's hot
Which may be her undoing.............

Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which may be her undoing.............

Hopefully a couple buttons

Hi yo but I digress

Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:

All the more reason I wish he had chosen Romney.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:

Excellent assessment and post! Sadly, it only underscores our rather pathetic choices. We're doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration