U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,910,869 times

Advertisements

09-01) 04:00 PDT Laurel, Miss. -- Fabiola Pena considered running away from her factory job when she realized she was being targeted in a federal immigration raid. She was deterred when she noticed the helicopters hovering overhead.

But helicopters were not what shocked Pena the most on her last, fateful day at Howard Industries, the largest employer in this small Southern city. It was the black co-workers who clapped and cheered as Pena and hundreds of other Latino immigrant laborers were arrested and hauled away.

"They said we took their jobs, but I was working from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.," said Pena, 21, a day after the raid last week that resulted in the arrest of 595 illegal immigration suspects. "I didn't see them working like us."
The raid at Howard Industries, an electronic transformer manufacturer, was the largest of its kind in many years, and it exposed some of the rawest emotions that fuel the illegal immigration debate.

It was also carried out during an odd period of political limbo: Polls suggest that for voters, immigration has been eclipsed by the sputtering economy, and neither of the two major presidential candidates has made much of the topic during the election season.
There weren't a lot of white or black people left in there anymore; it was all Mexicans."
http://www.sfgate.com:80/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/01
/MNIS12M0AV.DTL

Further proof that the line of BS about them doing the jobs Americans won't do is just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Better seeing our Black American citizens working than a bunch of illegal immigrant lawbreakers.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
I suspect, as more businesses are raided, and as more legal citizens replace illegal aliens, this lie (jobs Americans won't do) will become even more glaring. Of course, we already knew that Americans WILL do those jobs, and had been employed prior to greed becoming the impetus for hiring practices. I’m anxious to see who will be next to be raided. Attrition through enforcement!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,178,465 times
The comments at the end of the article seem to agree with the majority of us on this board, too...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
14 hour shifts are the max allowed by osha and even then we are not supposed to work more than 5 12 hour shifts in a row. I know because I in fact work a 12 hour swing shift. The fact this company made it a norm to do 14 hour shifts speaks volumes as to why legals were not there. Imagine the cost savings. Paying lowball wages and forcing 14 hour shiftes... This management needs to be fined big time not just on the illegal issue but on the laber violations as well.
As to the weeping illegal. Cry me a river. You signed on to take jobs away from legals. You got caught. Now its time to head back to your own country hopefully minus your ill begotten wages. I feel sad that anyone would force a human being to work 14 hour shifts as a norm but at the same time you accepted it and seemed to be happy about it.
Here is some words of wisdom for you. Cheaters never prosper.
I have done my share of 14 hour shifts when there was a crisis... never as a norm. If I do too many the company I work for sends me home to get a break. Its unsafe to work someone so many hours.
Once again they don't do jobs americans won't do. They work cheaper and will work unsafely as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The comments at the end of the article seem to agree with the majority of us on this board, too...
Yes, and dispels the propagated pro-illegal myth that only ‘racist’ fringe groups, such as C-D anti-illegal members, oppose illegal immigration. Contrary to pro-illegal beliefs, we represent the majority of American illegal immigration sentiment.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,050,532 times
Maybe someone needs to to tell the black americans of MS that they are racist and xenophobic
Perhaps the Latinas can stage a protest?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Maybe someone needs to to tell the black americans of MS that they are racist and xenophobic
Perhaps the Latinas can stage a protest?
Some of the MEChA subset of 'Hispanics' would try to pull that race card.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
You can bet these black workers were fed up with the racism they were encountering from the illegals. The comments made in Spanish about them, the looks they were given by the Mexicans who didn't think the blacks should be there. They certainly had their reasons to cheer.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can bet these black workers were fed up with the racism they were encountering from the illegals. The comments made in Spanish about them, the looks they were given by the Mexicans who didn't think the blacks should be there. They certainly had their reasons to cheer.
Yes, and believe me, the racism is rampant. It's the height of hypocrisy for them to accuse others of racism, given their utter disdain for blacks in general. I had paid for my items in a 7-11 and the Mexican clerk gave me the wrong change. I politely mentioned that I had been shorted my change. The clerk refused to resolve the issue and insisted he had given me the correct amount. I told him I was not leaving the store without my money, and he had the audacity to say, "We don't want your kind in our store."

It took all of my strength not to take my purse and hit him in his head. I demanded to speak with the manager. The manager made him reconcile his drawer, and the error was confirmed. A couple of guys (white) waiting in line asked me if I wanted them to "take care of him." Of course, I declined.

My brother, who understands Spanish, was in McDonald's one day when a couple of Mexicans got in line and proceeded to talk about all of the "N's" working and waiting in line. My brother ignored it as long as he could, and then confronted the guys. When the other black guys in line realized what the two Mexicans had said, one of the guys punched one of them in his face, and quickly left the restaurant. The Mexican guy called the police, but no one in McDonald's would substantiate his story; not even the employees (Americans). Consequently, there was nothing the police could do.

I'm not implying that ALL Mexicans dislike blacks, but clearly they are in no position to cry racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or