U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times

Advertisements

I'll admit it - my ancestors from Holland came "illegally" - that is, before Ellis Island - like around the time of New Amsterdam. Also, some of my ancestors were "native Americans", although no one is really a native American, since everyone came from Africa.

Once America became an independent country, it had the right to "screen" people, and we should still be doing that. We've certainly learned it's a good idea - look at the violent crime, diseases, ID theft, use of taxpayer benefits, etc. that we've had to put up with when we let illegals come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
We can make immigration a lot easier. If we make immigration a lot easier, immigrants can come in, register, and pay taxes. Thus they'll be contributing to the government pool of money that serves them. .

WHAT?

Who do you think is stampeding across the border, Doctors and Engineers? Make them citizens and they will be permanently embedded in the throngs of Social Services. They won't be paying taxes other than sales tax I assure you.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
the fact is that the US govt benefits by have wages artifically surpressed in certain categories that get lots of foreign illegal workers--they will worl for much less and in worse condtions than American workers--to help companies inflate their profits....
they might have illege SS cards but SS still receives the portion due on whatever wages they earn--so the govt get money from all these illegal workers that it can use to fund its ongoing budget w/o having to worry about paying SS pensions to those illegal workers...
the govt makes out like a bandit in some ways...

every CEO and CFO and HR head in any company that has illegal workers in mass numbers (as when over 50% of your workers are illegals as some businesses have)
should go to jail--without bail--just like their illegal workers are in jail until they are deported...
they should have to pay BIG fines--right now they pay few because they claim to be the "unwitting" victim of the illegals who give them false papers
rat's ass...
they contract for those workers with people who either bring them up or funnel them into employment and collect a finder's fee--just like legitimate head hunters do...

Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
WHAT?

Who do you think is stampeding across the border, Doctors and Engineers? Make them citizens and they will be permanently embedded in the throngs of Social Services. They won't be paying taxes other than sales tax I assure you.
Amen to that! If the 20-30 million illegals were granted citizenship, this is precisely the caliber of citizens we would have -- millions of parasites, to add to the millions we already have.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,799,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I'll admit it - my ancestors from Holland came "illegally" - that is, before Ellis Island - like around the time of New Amsterdam. Also, some of my ancestors were "native Americans", although no one is really a native American, since everyone came from Africa.

Once America became an independent country, it had the right to "screen" people, and we should still be doing that. We've certainly learned it's a good idea - look at the violent crime, diseases, ID theft, use of taxpayer benefits, etc. that we've had to put up with when we let illegals come in.
Although I agree with your post, you are incorrect regarding the out of Africa THEORY.

Modern humans did not evolve from Africa, they evolved from our ancestors that immigrated out of Africa.

And again, when refering to something as a basis for your debate, you must make it clear that it is not fact but theory, one that most scientist have discarded but for some reason it is the one the public seems to pick up on all the time, maybe because the other theory does not have the word "Africa" in it.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Hominids evolved in Africa. Those hominids evolved into modern humans to the exclusion of others approximately 40,000 years ago, when Neanderthals disappeared and Homo sapien sapien flourished.

It is not incorrect to state that the ancestors of modern man immigrated out of Africa, that is entirely true. I believe that what cousinsal was expressing was the fact that there are no indignenous peoples to the New World. Unlike Africa, where the human primate evolved, there was no hominid evolution in the New World and all who eventually made their homes here migrated from somewhere else.

Correct me if I'm wrong cousinsal.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Hominids evolved in Africa. Those hominids evolved into modern humans to the exclusion of others approximately 40,000 years ago, when Neanderthals disappeared and Homo sapien sapien flourished.

It is not incorrect to state that the ancestors of modern man immigrated out of Africa, that is entirely true. I believe that what cousinsal was expressing was the fact that there are no indignenous peoples to the New World. Unlike Africa, where the human primate evolved, there was no hominid evolution in the New World and all who eventually made their homes here migrated from somewhere else.

Correct me if I'm wrong cousinsal.
Is there a thread about evolution somewhere? I'll debate in that forum but this thread is about Illegal Aliens abusing Social Services after coming across the border illegally.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is there a thread about evolution somewhere? I'll debate in that forum but this thread is about Illegal Aliens abusing Social Services after coming across the border illegally.
This has to do with those who proclaim their right to move across the border at will because they are supposedly indigenous to the North American continent. As I've posted numerous times in the past, there are no indigenous people in the New World. Therein lies the argument and its connection to illegal immigration.

Get it?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
Hospital chided for reporting illegal applicant - Yahoo! News (broken link)
You have to feel sorry for the lady, but...This may be hard to take, but using a fraudulant government document, i.e. someone else's Social Security card is a federal violation. The hospital would have been violating law if they did not contact the authorities...If you don't like the law you'll need to change it!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

Before Ellis Island they didn't come illegally, because there weren't laws back then, there weren't all that many people, and it was considered to be vacant land for the taking. The Indians didn't have immigration laws either -- sadly for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or