U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

An illegal immigrant who was struck and severely injured by a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle that also hit and killed his daughter is suing the government.

Lawyers for Juan Cruz Torralva accuse Border Patrol agent Gregorio Garcia of driving recklessly on the night of March 5, 2006, when he ran over Cruz and his 12-year-old daughter, Lourdes Cruz Morales, in the desert near Dateland, Ariz.

Cruz and his daughter were on the final leg of a three-day trek across the border when they were hit. According to the suit filed last month in U.S. District Court in Tucson, Garcia was driving across the desert after another group of illegal immigrants at such a high rate of speed that he could not control his pickup or avoid hitting Cruz and his daughter.

The patrol has said previously that Garcia never saw the father and daughter because they were hidden behind a bush that was in the path of the vehicle.

Lourdes died at the scene. Cruz was briefly held by authorities on a child endangerment charge after he was released from a hospital, but Yuma County prosecutors declined to file formal charges.

Father of girl killed by Border Patrol truck sues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,866,485 times
Default You know, that is a real shame.

Believe me, I am sensitive to the bereavement this father must feel over the loss of his daughter. To lose a child is one of the most terrible tragedies that could ever befall a parent. But, I have to say this man sure wasn't worrying about his daughters well being too much after a three day trek across the desert so he could illegally enter the US. He put his child at risk in more ways than one and I just don't see how he can file suit in this situation. He is a border jumper, and he chose to bring his 12 year old daughter into harms way along with himself. It was a completely irresponsible act on the father's part and a complete accident on the part of the border patrol. Maybe if these folks weren't hiding behind bushes in the desert tragedies like this wouldn't happen. But of course someone wants to blame the Border Patrol, especially since they have been doing such a good job lately. Can't have that, we gotta take those fellas down a few pegs. But seriously, this is terrible but it should never have even been possible. The father of this child is to blame for her death, not the Border Patrol.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Perhaps just maybe had he not been in the act of breaking the law and perhaps had he not had his daughter in such a dangerous situation she would still be alive. Still here to hug her father inspite of him being of questionable character. A child is dead and that is dreadful. Heart breaking and unfair. The absolute cause is her father was a bad dad. She deserved better.

Last edited by tinman01; 09-02-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Believe me, I am sensitive to the bereavement this father must feel over the loss of his daughter. To lose a child is one of the most terrible tragedies that could ever befall a parent. But, I have to say this man sure wasn't worrying about his daughters well being too much after a three day trek across the desert so he could illegally enter the US. He put his child at risk in more ways than one and I just don't see how he can file suit in this situation. He is a border jumper, and he chose to bring his 12 year old daughter into harms way along with himself. It was a completely irresponsible act on the father's part and a complete accident on the part of the border patrol. Maybe if these folks weren't hiding behind bushes in the desert tragedies like this wouldn't happen. But of course someone wants to blame the Border Patrol, especially since they have been doing such a good job lately. Can't have that, we gotta take those fellas down a few pegs. But seriously, this is terrible but it should never have even been possible. The father of this child is to blame for her death, not the Border Patrol.
Mind reader . . .the hypocrisy and insanity continues. Nothing is ever their fault or responsibility.

A few months ago there was an illegal alien with 6 young kids, an elder daughter with a kid, all living in a small apartment in Chicago. She had no electricity and they were living by candle light. The building "mysteriously" caught fire. She ran out and saved her own worthless behind, left all of her kids inside and all but one burned to death. She actually sued the owner of the building for the fire that I have no doubt was set by her candles. Yet she got a couple of million. Unbelievable isn't it? Will see if I can still find the story on line although I doubt it because Chicago is a sanctuary.

I wish all of them would go home . . . . YESTERDAY.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-02-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
This is indeed a tragedy. An innocent child has died due to her father's decision to illegally enter this country. He has only himself to blame.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is indeed a tragedy. An innocent child has died due to her father's decision to illegally enter this country. He has only himself to blame.
But of course he won't. Now, now Benicar, shame on you. You should know by now they are perpetual children who no matter how old they live to be, as long as America coddles and takes care of them, nothing will ever be their fault or responsibility.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
That 'father' needs to be hauled on murder charges--------his breaking the law (crossing illegally) endangered his minor age daughter.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That 'father' needs to be hauled on murder charges--------his breaking the law (crossing illegally) endangered his minor age daughter.
I'm sure somewhere in the future, I'll be posting a followup story where he is granted full citizenship and a huge settlement.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,866,485 times
Question? Is he suing from Mexico? Because I am sorry he shouldn't be here handling these issues. He was and still is an illegal alien attempting to enter this country illegally. I know he has suffered a tragic loss but I am sure he'd have a better support structure for this time of mourning back home with his family.

Tragedy does not equate amnesty. Especially when the fault lay solely at this man's own feet. Tell you what though, I'd really like to meet the person who put it into this man's head that he could sue the US. I would bet big money that it was some bleeding heart American citizen who wouldn't give it a second thought if it was an American child who got hit in an accident.

Americans need to remember this is their home and any help they give to an illegal is a crime. Aiding and abetting a criminal is still a major offense as far as I know.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
"First thing we do is kill all the lawyers."

Whoever is handling THIS case would be a PRIME candidate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or