U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times

Advertisements

He plans to take his young daughters to their mother in Mexico, and is trying to sell the family's trailer so he can pay their rent there.

His turning point comes after 15 months of pounding on politicians' doors and pleading with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

He has paid thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, schooled himself on immigration policy and even tried to tell his story to the president when George Bush visited Omaha last December.

Still, the woman he married when she was an illegal immigrant -- the mother of daughters Vanessa, 7, and Melissa, 2 -- remains forever banned from re-entering the United States. As reported last year, Laura Roldan Wood has been stuck in Mexico since a May 2007 interview to fix her immigration status went awry.

"I'm done,'' said Joe Wood, 41, whose recent on-the-job injury has reduced his paychecks. "My brain is fried. I'm broke and have nowhere to turn.''

cindy.gonzalez(at)owh.com
Kearney Hub - Wood fails to get illegal immigrant wife back in U.S.

Oh well, they made their own bed. Nobody should consider themselves so special that they believe that they are above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
If he's moving to Mexico then maybe his marriage isn't one of those green card sham marriages like so many are.

Anytime you hear of someone actually going back to Mexico with their illegal spouse, then you tend to believe there really was something to the marriage. A lot of these marriages are for convenience only. The one gets deported and the other has no intention of going with him/her because they never meant any committment.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
There are a zillion Americans living and/or retired in Mexico. What's the draw to stay here in this case? Let me guess, freebies?

Or is Mexico really that big a mess no one wants to live there?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If he's moving to Mexico then maybe his marriage isn't one of those green card sham marriages like so many are.

Anytime you hear of someone actually going back to Mexico with their illegal spouse, then you tend to believe there really was something to the marriage. A lot of these marriages are for convenience only. The one gets deported and the other has no intention of going with him/her because they never meant any committment.
No, he's not moving there, he's taking her daughters back to her.

Quote:
The last straw was when a tearful Vanessa urged her dad to go get her mother. "Put her under two blankets and keep driving,'' the second-grader told him.

That's when Wood paid his most recent visit to U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel's office, asking an aide to explain to his daughters why their mom can't come back.

Wood later said that he takes the blame for not exploring all the consequences.

He figures he can move the girls to Mexico and pay for their rent and food cheaper there than here. And he would visit them occasionally while his workman's compensation case is processed.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
No, he's not moving there, he's taking her daughters back to her.
Why that jerk! Here I took that to mean he was keeping his family together, that his marriage is actually sincere and he's only dumping his kids at his wife's and ditching them? I guess money means more to him than his own family.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why that jerk! Here I took that to mean he was keeping his family together, that his marriage is actually sincere and he's only dumping his kids at his wife's and ditching them? I guess money means more to him than his own family.
I'm guessing the children belong to the woman.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I'm guessing the children belong to the woman.
That part's okay -- but they're at least his step-kids if not his biological kids, and he's not going to stay with his wife? Can't love exist in either country or is love just for the USA?

Any family that breaks up because of borders wasn't much of a family, The marriage vows say "for better or for worse, for richer for poorer", but these people apparently didn't mean it.

Then too -- there's nothing stopping a couple from living in Mexico at the border if one cannot live here and the American citizen can commute over the border to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or