Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times

Advertisements

1) Boycott businesses such as Wal-Mart that "outsource" American jobs. When you consider value, consider the value that is added by the knowledge that it was made by a free American and not a third world slave.

2) Start your own business. Deliver good value, deal fairly with others, practice what used to be known as good old American values.

Enough people did this, you wouldn't even notice those poor fellas climbing over the fence.

Our country has been counted out before. Once upon a time, there was some guy on the radio yammering about we of the decadent democracies, and how weak we were. Yeah, those Nazi "supermen", look how they wound up. There wasn't even enough gasoline to burn up that loudmouth losers body.

Time to get moving, people.

God bless America!

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-03-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
1) Boycott businesses such as Wal-Mart that "outsource" American jobs. When you consider value, consider the value that is added by the knowledge that it was made by a free American and not a third world slave.
I always find it hilarious when people say things like this. You know what, Wal-Mart is a business like any other. They just do it better than most and that's how they are the number one retailer in the world. They offer cheaper prices on many of the same products that you are buying at other stores! People can jump up and down and cry about Wal-Mart by anytime you drive by one it's packed!!! Why? They save people money! Any place that saves people money will continue to thrive! That's the bottom line.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:06 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I always find it hilarious when people say things like this. You know what, Wal-Mart is a business like any other. They just do it better than most and that's how they are the number one retailer in the world. They offer cheaper prices on many of the same products that you are buying at other stores! People can jump up and down and cry about Wal-Mart by anytime you drive by one it's packed!!! Why? They save people money! Any place that saves people money will continue to thrive! That's the bottom line.
OK.

Suppose I start a business that directly employs 12 year old girls, pays them 30 cents an hour, makes them work 12 hours a day, and I do it where you can hear their screams of agony.

Still happy about your cheaper prices?.

If so, move to Thailand.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Quote:
OK.

Suppose I start a business that directly employs 12 year old girls, pays them 30 cents an hour, makes them work 12 hours a day, and I do it where you can hear their screams of agony.

Still happy about your cheaper prices?.

If so, move to Thailand.
Well this is precisely the problem with Wal-Mart, since they essentially pioneered the idea of getting their products manufactured in China, now every retailer has to emulate that in order to remain in business. They're such a huge conglomerate that they can keep prices extremely low so that they run all the other businesses out of town (particularly the mom and pop shops). It's too idealistic to believe you can just up and start a business that will compete with Wal-Mart. Honestly, I wish it were so easy. Now Wal-Mart has made itself essential to the survival of many communities, so no matter how annoyed they are with the way they practice business, they can't afford to shop anywhere else. It's really a sad state of affairs.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,230 times
Cheap prices does not mean value. foolish buyers does not mean quality shoppers. I refuse to shop at wally-world. I buy better quality products, yes I pay more, that last longer.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 AM

Just because you shop at Target, Circuit City, Macy's, etc. DOES NOT mean you are getting away from products made in China!!! Wal-Mart is by far the only store selling products made in China.

Furthermore, I don't feel sorry for people in China working as kids around the clock and with no bathroom breaks. It's their choice to take and stay at the job. Nobody makes them work it. AND you feel sorry for them. Maybe they don't want your pity. Maybe they are thankful for the work because while it may not be ideal for Americans it's the only work they can get to feed their family. Without it maybe they would starve. They aren't victims, those people line up for the jobs. They want the jobs. And the fact is that we Americans want cheap goods, that's why the country has turned to outsourcing so many products. I highly doubt that you are buying only goods made in America or that you read the label and research the countries before you buy products.... and if you did... how do you know that say a company in the UK did not import the goods from a company in China? You don't.

People are just jealous of Wal-Mart. That's all it comes down to. Big companies make for big targets. If you could duplicate their success and become a billionaire you would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Cheap prices does not mean value. foolish buyers does not mean quality shoppers. I refuse to shop at wally-world. I buy better quality products, yes I pay more, that last longer.
And that is absolutely your choice. Isn't it a great country?

Wal-Mart exist for the masses that want to pay cheap prices. Do I shop at Wal-Mart? Certainly. But certainly not for everything.

There are some things I buy there and some things I go to other places for because I want a better selection or better product. But I can tell you that MANY of the products in Wal-Mart are the same products (even same brands) you get by going to Target, K-Mart, etc. but they are cheaper. So if you think you are getting better products by going other places that is only true on some things you are buying. Other times you are just paying more for the same product.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Furthermore, I don't feel sorry for people in China working as kids around the clock and with no bathroom breaks. It's their choice to take and stay at the job.
CHILDREN make these choices? That's a real laugh riot!

Old 02-04-2007, 02:21 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post

I agree with you Mark -

I'm not one for WM. I think their products are of lesser quality. Yeah some things are much cheaper, but the quality shows for it. i'm talking clothing and other miscellaneous crap.

You walk in my WM and all you see is mexicans.

You are forced to listen to spanish music, or for that matter deal with spanish employee's who if you ask for help, say: no speak english on break. This has happened to me when I asked for help.

I feel bad for all the mom and pop stores that were forced out because of Walmart.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
Quote:

Tell any economics professor that and you will likely recieve an "F.' That is such an uneducated philosophy. Read your books. Read how it benefits everyone. Learn to file unemployment without this so-called business evil named, Greed.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration