U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
U are really out of material aren't you.

I think you are. You're posting what's obviously going to happen. There is not a good chance they will hire illegals back again since they got busted for doing so already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
only time will tell. i hope they can. if the blacks and poor whites wont do it, im sure the US born kids of those caught up in the raids will. someone will. will that also affect the price of goods? im sure.

just a quick question to further the discussion...

do you think US workers are more willing to take these jobs in factories or in fields(picking crops and such)?
does the environment matter?

i for one have no problem doing factory work. field work on the other hand, i think i would expect higher wages.

im sure it also depends on the local cost of living, to live in LA you cant do field work. you could do factory work tho. but in the rural south, maybe field work does pay enough.

anyhow for some reason i think US workers still feel "above" field work.
Would a guest worker program solve the field labor issue?

what would we do in the occasion that workers are few?
do we higher wages? import labor?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Once again so much for Illegals only take jobs legals won't do and don't want.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Once again so much for Illegals only take jobs legals won't do and don't want.
ok, but are there jobs legals wont do? what do we do then?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
In the interest of businesses saving a buck on medical insurance and other necessities that American workers depend on to raise a healthy family, these illegals have taken the jobs Americans USED to do.

Why is it that lately, Americans all want to be wealthier than Donald Trump? It's not just enough to raise a family on a decent salary if you're a CEO, you've gotta be a bazillionaire at the expense of your hard working employees. That gigantic balloon of a benefits package? That big bonus they take while at the same time 5,000 employees lose their jobs.

I'm all for being well compensated for work you do, but honestly - taking 50 million after they run a company into the ground seems incredibly stupid. And just one more reason why the morality of our country is going down the tubes.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
only time will tell. i hope they can. if the blacks and poor whites wont do it, im sure the US born kids of those caught up in the raids will. someone will. will that also affect the price of goods? im sure.

do you think US workers are more willing to take these jobs in factories or in fields(picking crops and such)?

i for one have no problem doing factory work. field work on the other hand, i think i would expect higher wages.

im sure it also depends on the local cost of living, to live in LA you cant do field work. you could do factory work tho. but in the rural south, maybe field work does pay enough.

I don't think that there are any jobs americans are too 'above' to work at, and that includes field work. Ever hear of a farmer?
I think a lot depends on what part of the country one lives in. Where I live, packing house work is not that terrible of a job for most people. The same would go for field work, though with the type of crops grown here, I believe the farmer can handle it himself with his immediate family. Perhaps in the south it is different, but I would doubt it. I bet in any small town you will find people who are citizens and still willing to pick berries or lettuce. But again, they would want to be paid a commisarate wage.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,962,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Thank you Captain obvious.
Fear not, citizen!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

Who do you think were the folks working farms before the influx of illegal aliens? Farmers, farmer's families--what about the Dust Bowl immigrants of the 1940's who left Oklahoma in search of work? Americans have never had a problem picking their own veggies. I worked several summers in a row in Texas in 100+ degree heat picking cantelopes, tomatoes, and squash. Was it fun? Nope, not one bit. I stayed sunburned. But I was paid a good wage to do the work. I worked my tail off and you know what? Out of the one hundred plus people I worked with, less than twenty were Hispanic and none of them were illegal.

Why would paying Americans a living wage to work cost consumers any more money? It isn't as if those corporations that use illegal slave labor are passing the savings on to us. I would think that they could easily hire Americans and not raise prices on consumer goods. Too bad if they have to take a small hit in their profit margin because they no longer have indentured servants working the production lines.

The U.S. already has a guest worker program for the less than 5% of "field workers" needed in the U.S. We don't need anymore. What we need is for illegal aliens to go home and allow legal workers in this country to work, period. In doing so, the labor base and the wage base would once again, even out over time.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Who do you think were the folks working farms before the influx of illegal aliens? Farmers, farmer's families--what about the Dust Bowl immigrants of the 1940's who left Oklahoma in search of work? Americans have never had a problem picking their own veggies. I worked several summers in a row in Texas in 100+ degree heat picking cantelopes, tomatoes, and squash. Was it fun? Nope, not one bit. I stayed sunburned. But I was paid a good wage to do the work. I worked my tail off and you know what? Out of the one hundred plus people I worked with, less than twenty were Hispanic and none of them were illegal.

Why would paying Americans a living wage to work cost consumers any more money? It isn't as if those corporations that use illegal slave labor are passing the savings on to us. I would think that they could easily hire Americans and not raise prices on consumer goods. Too bad if they have to take a small hit in their profit margin because they no longer have indentured servants working the production lines.

The U.S. already has a guest worker program for the less than 5% of "field workers" needed in the U.S. We don't need anymore. What we need is for illegal aliens to go home and allow legal workers in this country to work, period. In doing so, the labor base and the wage base would once again, even out over time.
Absolutely- Awesome post.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 PM

before illegals, we had slaves. then after slaves we had mexicans and filipinos and japanese as well as white folk. in cali at least. but times change and the 4H farmer mentality doesnt really translate all that well to a more tech savvy youth populace. im thinking of california here.
while farmers both large and small did grow crops. the technology of farming has increased to the point where now you need quite a bit of workers to work machinery and to pick crops. its not the same farming as before. im talking about this country now. not the way it was 60 years ago. cost of living has increased and peoples expectation of what is needed in life has changed. is rural areas it might be different. but in urban areas, there are jobs that the "others" do.

i would suggest you ask around to see who is willing to pick fruit in a field. or who is willing to scrub toilets. and then ask at what pay rate? ima do the same. im interested in knowing.

as for companies taking a loss in profit. never gunna happen. the more they have to pay their workers, the more they will charge us. or have it subsidized by the gov't. which still costs us.

its all about money in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or