U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM

13,071 posts, read 21,205,087 times

Advertisements

Oh, wouldn't that be a hummmmdinger?? If it ever were to come to pass that Ruben was found guilty of something similar, the fiesta is at my house and some of you on this forum (you know who you are) will all be invited. Free cerveza and chimichangas for everyone, and we'll have a pinata in the image of Ruben stuffed with the traditional lead-based candies from south of the border. Andalé!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

32,868 posts, read 30,138,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oh, wouldn't that be a hummmmdinger?? If it ever were to come to pass that Ruben was found guilty of something similar, the fiesta is at my house and some of you on this forum (you know who you are) will all be invited. Free cerveza and chimichangas for everyone, and we'll have a pinata in the image of Ruben stuffed with the traditional lead-based candies from south of the border. Andalé!!
Will the theme be every and all things illegal?

Theme napkins

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM

13,071 posts, read 21,205,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Will the theme be every and all things illegal?

Theme napkins
Love the theme napkins idea - we can use the actual pole and sign to bat at the pinata too!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,229,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is a case of human traffickers. and this sounds like these people operated a drop house. with indentured servants. these people prey on others. arresting them is a good thing.

but i do wonder how far the reach of this law would be. if i am not required by state, county or city to ask for papers before i allow someone to live in my house, how would i know they are legal?
what if i rented a house to some one who turned out to be illegal? could i be charged with harboring? what if i let a colleague of mine move in temporarily, but later they were determined to be illegal. would i face any charges of harboring?

i think this was a clear case because of the amount of individuals and the type of "contract" they held them to, or the conditions they were held in, but how far can this go.

as a property owner and land lord i dont worry about this stuff until i hear cases like this. could i be unknowingly harboring illegals? could i be prosecuted for such? even if my area does not have laws requiring verification of citizenship?

hmmmmm????
How do you know the servants had dentures?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,002,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
How do you know the servants had dentures?
Indentured servant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its okay, MK...its okay.

Dictionary.com

Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,810,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is a case of human traffickers. and this sounds like these people operated a drop house. with indentured servants. these people prey on others. arresting them is a good thing.

but i do wonder how far the reach of this law would be. if i am not required by state, county or city to ask for papers before i allow someone to live in my house, how would i know they are legal?
what if i rented a house to some one who turned out to be illegal? could i be charged with harboring? what if i let a colleague of mine move in temporarily, but later they were determined to be illegal. would i face any charges of harboring?

i think this was a clear case because of the amount of individuals and the type of "contract" they held them to, or the conditions they were held in, but how far can this go.

as a property owner and land lord i dont worry about this stuff until i hear cases like this. could i be unknowingly harboring illegals? could i be prosecuted for such? even if my area does not have laws requiring verification of citizenship?

hmmmmm????
I think in many cases it's obvious. When someone is renting a dump apartment to 15 men who are sleeping on the floor or a one family home to 4 or 5 families, they are just slumlords.

There is a lot of that here, people rent some run down old travel trailer for $100 a month and of course they know their tenants are illegal because even welfare recipients won't rent something like that. Or they rent a shed or grarage for $50 a week and know their tenants will put up with rats or mice and subhuman conditions.

So maybe it should depend on the degree -- if you happen to rent a nice well maintained home for a decent price to a single family, maybe you didn't know they were illegals. If you rent a dive apartment to far too many people who won't complain about the filth and bare wires, then you should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,229,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think in many cases it's obvious. When someone is renting a dump apartment to 15 men who are sleeping on the floor or a one family home to 4 or 5 families, they are just slumlords.

There is a lot of that here, people rent some run down old travel trailer for $100 a month and of course they know their tenants are illegal because even welfare recipients won't rent something like that. Or they rent a shed or grarage for $50 a week and know their tenants will put up with rats or mice and subhuman conditions.

So maybe it should depend on the degree -- if you happen to rent a nice well maintained home for a decent price to a single family, maybe you didn't know they were illegals. If you rent a dive apartment to far too many people who won't complain about the filth and bare wires, then you should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
These type of slumlords build a bad reputation against themselves fast.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
Quote:

Very true and all to common. Neighbors complain and the law does nothing. On occasion the zoning board will involve itself.
Folks need to call ice when they see this. Each and everytime. Folks need to harrass their elected reps to enact laws that punish obvious offenders. Landlords, employers and illegals alike.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,085,714 times
well i would never allow that many people in my property. those who do usually face the wrath of their neighbors. at least in decent neighborhoods they do. i would never allow that on my street.
for a short time i did see groups of men going for strolls along my street. different men, usually in groups of four. i thought it very odd. i talked to a couple of neighbors. they told me they were renovating a 1920's 4-plex down the block. they were gone wihin a month. its up to people to really watch out what happens in their neighborhoods.

i live in an area full of mexicans, cubans and arabs. we all watch out for eachother.
its that wonderful motto

If I dont call the cops, MY NEIGHBOR WILL

Quote:

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,085,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Very true and all to common. Neighbors complain and the law does nothing. On occasion the zoning board will involve itself.
Folks need to call ice when they see this. Each and everytime. Folks need to harrass their elected reps to enact laws that punish obvious offenders. Landlords, employers and illegals alike.
calling ICE is a waste of time. you would need evidence that these people are illegals. living 10 to an apt does not prove they are illegal. it could be a halfway house for all you know.

what you should do, is call your local housing authority and tell them you believe a landlord is violating the law that allows certain amount of tenants per sq. foot or room.

call the city council.

call the police warm line.

but dont waste ICE's time buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or