U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times

Advertisements

In July, a federal grand jury handed up a 16-count indictment against Cesar Navarrete, Geovanni Navarrete, Ismael Michael Navarrete, their mother Villhina “Virgini” Navarrete and Antonia Zuniga Vargas.

Family member Jose Navarrete, who was charged back in January, pleaded guilty to five out of 17 previously filed charges in May.

Before their family members admitted they were guilty, 10 other members of the Navarrete family anxiously waited in the courtroom, including another of Villhina’s sons, Francisco “Frankie” Navarrete, 20, and his wife Laura Luna, 19.

“We’re sad,” said Luna, before the plea. “It’s not right.”

Francisco Navarrete, who resides in La Belle with his wife, said he has only been able to speak with his mom once and with one of his brothers on the phone during another occasion.

“We just want to see what’s going to happen,” Francisco Navarrete said.

The plea in U.S. District Court in Fort Myers was an about face from the family’s not guilty plea in January, and only came after attorneys for the family and prosecutors spent most of the morning in court ironing out the details.

Due to their immigration status, the Navarretes and Zuniga Vargas are ineligible for bond and are being held in the Lee County jail.

Immokalee family pleads guilty to harboring illegal aliens : Lee : Naples Daily News

The moral of this story: The familia that commits crimes together gets prosecuted together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Oh pitbull you kill me again. Moralof the story is eventually you will get caught. I happy ending would be deportation of the whole clan.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Oh pitbull you kill me again. Moralof the story is eventually you will get caught. I happy ending would be deportation of the whole clan.
I posted this one in your honor!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I posted this one in your honor!
Roger that pitbull tinman calls bravo zulu. LOL = good job or well done.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Roger that pitbull tinman calls bravo zulu. LOL = good job or well done.
Why thank you sir.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Why thank you sir.
November papa no problem. It was earned.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
this is a case of human traffickers. and this sounds like these people operated a drop house. with indentured servants. these people prey on others. arresting them is a good thing.

but i do wonder how far the reach of this law would be. if i am not required by state, county or city to ask for papers before i allow someone to live in my house, how would i know they are legal?
what if i rented a house to some one who turned out to be illegal? could i be charged with harboring? what if i let a colleague of mine move in temporarily, but later they were determined to be illegal. would i face any charges of harboring?

i think this was a clear case because of the amount of individuals and the type of "contract" they held them to, or the conditions they were held in, but how far can this go.

as a property owner and land lord i dont worry about this stuff until i hear cases like this. could i be unknowingly harboring illegals? could i be prosecuted for such? even if my area does not have laws requiring verification of citizenship?

hmmmmm????

Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
it never stops does it?

be dang happy i'm not President of the USA.

Because if I were... when all the troops come home, I'd have them do house to house searches.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Drat, I was hoping to see Ruben Navarette on this list

Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
HA, I thought the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or