U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Posters, Yah or Nay on amnesty after 4 years completed foreign military service!
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. 8 30.77%
Maybe, but some bugs need to be worked out. 9 34.62%
No, that does not sound good. 5 19.23%
NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! Reads2Much is crazy! 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM

3,215 posts, read 2,871,579 times

Advertisements

That last poll choice was supposed to be a joke! You could just say no you meanies! I'm gonna cry all over my pro amnesty T shirt. Just kidding, I don't have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,905,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Nicolem, if you are at all familiar with my posts you will know I am certainly not pro illegal. But at least with a plan such as this some of them will be forced to give something back to this country! As it stands now they are living here regardless of amnesty. And they have no obligations to help us whatsoever. They don't even have to pay taxes. I am just offering this as a way we could get something back out of a bad situation and deter other possible illegals with the threat of possible military service. So, can you give me a reason why this couldn't work? Keep in mind this is just a discussion, nothing like this is even being considered as far as I know. So tell me why, other than just no amnesty, this is a bad idea. Honest question, no harm intended.
We're cool and everything, but I voted you crazy. I've watched the history channel detail and show footage of (hispanic) anchor babies who go into the military for the sole purpose of going back to the hood and teaching their fellow gang bangers every deadly military technique they acquire. In turn those gang bangers go out and brutally murder cops, rival gang bangers and everyone else who gets in their way.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Quote:
That last poll choice was supposed to be a joke! You could just say no you meanies! I'm gonna cry all over my pro amnesty T shirt. Just kidding, I don't have one.
Ah......we knew it was a joke. No harm intended.

Here's some tissue, don't cry on your pro-amnesty shirt........

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

3,215 posts, read 2,871,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
We're cool and everything, but I voted you crazy. I've watched the history channel detail and show footage of (hispanic) anchor babies who go into the military for the sole purpose of going back to the hood and teaching their fellow gang bangers every deadly military technique they acquire. In turn those gang bangers go out and brutally murder cops, rival gang bangers and everyone else who gets in their way.
Hey that's cool. I opened this to get opinions, and I generally expected more against than for. I really would just like to find a way to give our guys some peace and quiet for a while. It seemed like a good idea you know. These guys have been fighting on and off for the last 8 years and I know they are getting tired. Not only of fighting but of being away from their families. I still think it could be worked out, but I also don't think it would ever happen.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,081,552 times
what if mccain wanted to institue a draft? that basically makes people who dont want to be in the war go off to fight. would any of you change ideas then?

id rather some lil illegal go fight in iraq than my kids. if they served honorably then they can start the steps to becoming a citizen. maybe that way we wont have to provide benefits if they die. wait that just sounds bad...

i think logisitically its difficult, but can be an option.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,081,552 times
Quote:
and what percentage of those "hispanics" of those actually did that?

because all my friends are serving honorably. anchor babies and all.

you do the men in uniform a great diservice, not to mention disrespect them tremendously, by assuming they are there for mal intentions.

it is ridiculous to think that someone would risk their life in war just to come back and impress the homeboys.

you really have some messed up thoughts.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,697,457 times
Quote:
I don't know if this has been suggested before. It is very seldom anyone really comes up with an idea that hasn't already been forwarded. But as I sat just thinking this evening, this idea dawned on me and I couldn't help but see the possible benefits.

We would be able to not only weed out the riff raff we could also provide a way for American soldiers over seas to spend more time at home. The upside for the immigrants would of course be their amnesty and the fact that they'd get paid just as any other serviceman would. Soldiers fall under the jurisdiction of the US military anyway, so technically they don't have the same rights a citizen has while they are active duty. So its not like the immigrant soldiers would be in any different situation than our citizen soldiers. Their mom and dad will be the corp.

I say this for all those who would take the route that this was a form of forced military service. It would only be required of those who wish to be granted amnesty. If you are just a person trying to immigrate legally, this is not required. If you are an illegal who doesn't want to join, you can go home! I suspect this could not only provide relief for our battle worn soldiers in the Gulf and elsewhere, but also act as a detterent for future illegals. Knowing you will have to man up and possibly go to war for this country you entered illegally may weigh heavily on prospective border jumpers.

Keep in mind this is merely a suggestion and is in no way about to become policy. Please, speak your minds and give me your opinion on this. I think it is a plan that could work in more ways than one. Then again, someone might have a reason why I am wrong. Hit me.

PS Remember, I said "foreign military service" I don't mean these guys/gals get to stay home and chill on a base. They would be for foreign service only. Besides brief home visits every six months to a year, these guys are incognito for the next 4 years!
----------

We had a guy in my platoon from S.Africa ,Zulu .
He was legal immigrant but serving in military he got his citizenship that much faster (think after his 3 yr term) .

He spoke,read,wrote English and other languages . He was reading physics, Science while rest of us "read" Looking for Waldo (not easy to find either) lol.

Army does it now but only in combat jobs like Infantry-Artillery few others and it makes sense but again they MUST be fluent in English and they have background check.

Gang history,etc and they don't take them though while back they seemed to lower standards again due to need.
Overall it is still wrong to offer them this without offering it to those on legal immigrant waiting list.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
and what percentage of those "hispanics" of those actually did that?

because all my friends are serving honorably. anchor babies and all.

you do the men in uniform a great diservice, not to mention disrespect them tremendously, by assuming they are there for mal intentions.

it is ridiculous to think that someone would risk their life in war just to come back and impress the homeboys.

you really have some messed up thoughts.
Like I said, I watched a documentary on the history channel. They didn't provide stats otherwise I would have listed them. Nowhere did I state that ALL military personnel, hispanics/anchor babies are guilty of said behavior.

Do all of you suffer from low self esteem, lack of comprehension or BOTH?

My thoughts aren't messed up but you seem to suffer tremendously from low self esteem with a touch of paranoia.

Stop twisting my words to suit your needs.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
----------

We had a guy in my platoon from S.Africa ,Zulu .
He was legal immigrant but serving in military he got his citizenship that much faster (think after his 3 yr term) .

He spoke,read,wrote English and other languages . He was reading physics, Science while rest of us "read" Looking for Waldo (not easy to find either) lol.

Army does it now but only in combat jobs like Infantry-Artillery few others and it makes sense but again they MUST be fluent in English and they have background check.

Gang history,etc and they don't take them though while back they seemed to lower standards again due to need.
Overall it is still wrong to offer them this without offering it to those on legal immigrant waiting list.

Once again ITA.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,697,457 times
Quote:
------------

Military/goverment is to blame.
Couple yrs back bit more than that with a dire need close to critical urgency in Infantry they began to take guys with history of gang problems. They were citizens .

Not felonies but arrests and plea bargains (mismeanor -think it's called) . They taught a few gang member's what they should have not have taught them. They were all put in Infantry .

Think few police and civilians were killed due to it . Couple hundred were enlisted and none worked out . The problem's were huge.

So much for the "Dirty Dozen " movie.

They have now stopped taking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or