U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Posters, Yah or Nay on amnesty after 4 years completed foreign military service!
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. 8 30.77%
Maybe, but some bugs need to be worked out. 9 34.62%
No, that does not sound good. 5 19.23%
NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! Reads2Much is crazy! 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244

Advertisements

low self esteem, what would lead you to beleive that? how does that factor anywhere here?

again i question your posts and you come back with personal attacks.
very telling.


so tell me what was the point of posting that thing about the "hispanics" and the military intel in the hood?

why even bring that up. thats like me saying, i was watching A&E and i saw this show about a (black) guy who covnerted to islam during his tour of duty, and then tried to become a terrorist. how is that relevant?

what was the purpose of that.

most people people would think that i was tryin to make a connection between blacks and islam and ulterior motives. they might think that i was suggesting blacks or muslims be further vetted when enlisting. why, because there was ONE case of that. or some anecdotal evidence.

"wow just wow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Like I said, I watched a documentary on the history channel. They didn't provide stats otherwise I would have listed them. Nowhere did I state that ALL military personnel, hispanics/anchor babies are guilty of said behavior.

Do all of you suffer from low self esteem, lack of comprehension or BOTH?

My thoughts aren't messed up but you seem to suffer tremendously from low self esteem with a touch of paranoia.

Stop twisting my words to suit your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Reputation: 391
I don't know... I would have some serious reservations, but I doubt more than 5% of current illegals would take 'the deal' anyway.

That would be a million new soldiers, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
At least they would fight for this Country vs try to use it as a free for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,506,882 times
Reputation: 1825
I don't see why not. What better way to prove your allegiance to a country than to serve in the military? As Reads said, it's not like they'd be sitting on a base, who would willingly go into the army knowing there's a chance of getting killed, even if they could become a citizen? PLUS, they'd be getting an education AND learning english....you know, those things that everyone else vilifies them for not knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH
Nicolem, if you are at all familiar with my posts you will know I am certainly not pro illegal. But at least with a plan such as this some of them will be forced to give something back to this country! As it stands now they are living here regardless of amnesty. And they have no obligations to help us whatsoever. They don't even have to pay taxes. I am just offering this as a way we could get something back out of a bad situation and deter other possible illegals with the threat of possible military service. So, can you give me a reason why this couldn't work? Keep in mind this is just a discussion, nothing like this is even being considered as far as I know. So tell me why, other than just no amnesty, this is a bad idea. Honest question, no harm intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom
We're cool and everything, but I voted you crazy. I've watched the history channel detail and show footage of (hispanic) anchor babies who go into the military for the sole purpose of going back to the hood and teaching their fellow gang bangers every deadly military technique they acquire. In turn those gang bangers go out and brutally murder cops, rival gang bangers and everyone else who gets in their way.
Your unsolicited two cents as usual:

and what percentage of those "hispanics" of those actually did that?

because all my friends are serving honorably. anchor babies and all.

you do the men in uniform a great diservice, not to mention disrespect them tremendously, by assuming they are there for mal intentions.

it is ridiculous to think that someone would risk their life in war just to come back and impress the homeboys.

you really have some messed up thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
low self esteem, what would lead you to beleive that? how does that factor anywhere here?

again i question your posts and you come back with personal attacks.
very telling.


so tell me what was the point of posting that thing about the "hispanics" and the military intel in the hood?

why even bring that up. thats like me saying, i was watching A&E and i saw this show about a (black) guy who covnerted to islam during his tour of duty, and then tried to become a terrorist. how is that relevant?

what was the purpose of that.

most people people would think that i was tryin to make a connection between blacks and islam and ulterior motives. they might think that i was suggesting blacks or muslims be further vetted when enlisting. why, because there was ONE case of that. or some anecdotal evidence.

"wow just wow"

I NEVER address you. You on the other hand always jump into the conversation of whomever I am addressing. You you persistently stalk, personally attack me, and accuse me of stating things I never state simply because you disagree with what I have said, feel the need the hijack my conversations with other posters. Then when I tell you what I really think your problem is ,you get an attitude. Either grow up and live with the heat in the kitchen or stay out of grown folks' conversations.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-04-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't see why not. What better way to prove your allegiance to a country than to serve in the military? As Reads said, it's not like they'd be sitting on a base, who would willingly go into the army knowing there's a chance of getting killed, even if they could become a citizen? PLUS, they'd be getting an education AND learning english....you know, those things that everyone else vilifies them for not knowing.

I understand the appeal of what you say, and the logic behind it...yet, in the end, you're STILL rewarding lawbreakers, and this sends a very bad message. It's as if someone stole your car....then after 2 months, you find out he's been using it to haul elderly people to their doctor appointments, AND ferrying loads of 'Toys for Tots' donations. The mayor of your city thanks him and gives him a reward, and he gets his picture in the paper.

Well, by all means, GOOD for the thief, that he's done such acts of charity. But does that mean it's "good" that we have car thieves? I don't think that would work. A car thief...even a NICE one...has still stolen a car, and should not be rewarded or 'honored'. It sends entirely too contradictory a message.

Sending illegals overseas to possibly die in combat ALSO ignores the fact that many Americans would also like to have this 'honor', selfless as it may sound. I just don't think a 'two tier military' is a good thing. It conflicts at too many points with what the military is 'supposed to be', and what it's 'supposed to do'.

Finally, I find it odd that so many people see this 'overseas combat' for illegals as a viable way for them to 'earn' citizenship...but the same people would never STAND for the idea of putting illegals to work in 'labor gangs' doing menial public-sector work (cleaning grafitti, sweeping sidewalks, etc) for 4 years to 'become citizens'. I don't like THAT idea, either..but the question is, "What's the difference"?..is it possibly because 'combat' is seen as a 'glorious' endeavor, while 'grunt labor' is not? Seems pretty contradictory to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
1. Must still be able to pass the citizenship test.
2. Must maintain a spotless hitch. Any violation worked through the UCMJ should be an automatic disqualifier.
3. Would not include family members but afford them the ability to apply for visa's like any other citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
My gut says yes. I would think that an illegal volunteering for the military is showing his allegiance to his (hopefully) new country. And that means a lot to me. Also, unless I am mistaken, the military isn't bi/tri lingual governmen agency...its english, period. As karfar accurately pointed out, that also means a lot -- it shows the persons willingness to assimiliate. Plus, to tweak an old saying 'There's no bs in a foxhole', meaning, if the illegal has a true desire to serve and become a member of the US it will show, if he/she is using the military to get benefits but still identifies themself as a foreign national, that too will show.
I am with tinman, the final determination shouldn't just be months served, but also how well and honorably served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Reputation: 47449
you becha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you becha.
What if while they serve they are a chronic disiplinary proble? Never bad enough to DHD but barely making the OTH or honorable?
No there must be disqualifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top