U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Posters, Yah or Nay on amnesty after 4 years completed foreign military service!
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. 8 30.77%
Maybe, but some bugs need to be worked out. 9 34.62%
No, that does not sound good. 5 19.23%
NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! Reads2Much is crazy! 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

225 posts, read 933,392 times

Advertisements

Maybe I missed something here but how would we get the Illegals to do the armed service? Are we expecting them to volunteer on the hopes of Amnesty after 4 years? Considering that there is a 50/50 chance they may be killed in action I cannot see too many coming forward for this. I am sure they would feel what they have now ("under the radar") is a much better/safer bet. Plus, what if/when during that term of service the war ends? Then what? We made a commitment already to grant Amnesty which we would have to honor and how will that help the problem in the future years. The idea sounds like a good one but there are still too many bugs to be worked out. These were just a few of the questions that would come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times
this is an open forum. you want private discussions DM people. otherwise once its in the air, you have no control over it. siple as that. and anytime i read anything silly or completely unfounded i will address it. in this case it was you questioning hispanic service men based on some lil tv show you saw.

and i aint complaining about anything.

everything else you said...

grown folks is talkin?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Your unsolicited two cents as usual:

I NEVER address you. You on the other hand always jump into the conversation of whomever I am addressing. You you persistently stalk, personally attack me, and accuse me of stating things I never state simply because you disagree with what I have said, feel the need the hijack my conversations with other posters. Then when I tell you what I really think your problem is ,you get an attitude. Either grow up and live with the heat in the kitchen or stay out of grown folks' conversations.
anyhow this has been a good thread. i think i can vote now...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 AM

3,234 posts, read 2,877,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
Maybe I missed something here but how would we get the Illegals to do the armed service? Are we expecting them to volunteer on the hopes of Amnesty after 4 years? Considering that there is a 50/50 chance they may be killed in action I cannot see too many coming forward for this. I am sure they would feel what they have now ("under the radar") is a much better/safer bet. Plus, what if/when during that term of service the war ends? Then what? We made a commitment already to grant Amnesty which we would have to honor and how will that help the problem in the future years. The idea sounds like a good one but there are still too many bugs to be worked out. These were just a few of the questions that would come up.
Well, I believe I have an answer to some of your questions. When I say "foreign military service" I am not only talking about wartime. We have bases and operations going on all over the world all the time, even when we aren't fighting a war. So during non-war time they would be like all the other soldiers stationed over seas. Performing jobs vital to the upkeep of the bases and doing patrols. Our fighting men are always on guard and there is always something that needs to be done. And they would still be providing that extra boost of manpower so we could keep our American soldiers here. One thing that people should think about in my opinion is what happens if by chance one day we have an attempted invasion of our country. All of our American fighting men are overseas somewhere and we are left with only ourselves and our illegals to defend our country. On the other hand, if a program such as this were in play, we would always have a fresh and ready fighting force at hand ready for any act of aggression. And we would have legions of American "hopefuls" who would be learning English and learning to also love the country they invaded themselves. And as far as the "under the radar" approach goes, it is beginning to fail. Even though our Federal Government is dragging its feet on doing anything about the illegal problem, individual states are taking measures to combat this problem themselves. States rights will be what wins or loses this was on illegals. The Feds are not going to be much help. But we are putting pressure on them and I am sure there would be many volunteers who just didn't want to hide anymore. And come on now, 50/50 is a bit steep for a chance of death in our military. I'm not absolutely sure but I think the death toll from the entire incursion into Iraq would only put it at about a 1 out of 50 chance of death. We are America remember, home of the most advanced war machine on the planet.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,050,532 times
Quote:
What? Fifty percent of our armed forces were killed in Iraq? Are you serious or just delusional?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What? Fifty percent of our armed forces were killed in Iraq? Are you serious or just delusional?
Quote:
Considering that there is a 50/50 chance they may be killed in action
Read read, and read some more.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM

13,073 posts, read 21,218,467 times
Quote:
People like to just throw random numbers around on this forum all the time, haven't you noticed? As long as it emphasizes the point they are making, it's all good.

/sarcasm off/

Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Read read, and read some more.
I will admit, californio that math and statistics have never been my strong suit (hence, I married a math major ) so break it down to me. What did he mean by our troops have a 50/50 shot at being, well shot and killed?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,320 times
Quote:
I will admit, californio that math and statistics have never been my strong suit (hence, I married a math major ) so break it down to me. What did he mean by our troops have a 50/50 shot at being, well shot and killed?
Certainly you misunderstood them, I was clearing it up. I don't know the exact statistics between soldiers being shot so I wouldn't know.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Certainly you misunderstood them, I was clearing it up. I don't know the exact statistics between soldiers being shot so I wouldn't know.
Well, obviously a soldier has a much better chance of dying in Iraq then say, idaho...but still, a 50/50 chance?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
Do some honest research next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or