U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times

Advertisements

76 Percent of Those Detained in Nationís Largest Criminal Immigration Operation Already Convicted of Criminal Wrongdoing

The final breakdown of the criminal cases are as follows:

- 230 were sentenced to five months in prison and three additional years of supervision for using identification that belonged to another person to obtain employment.
- 30 were sentenced to five months in prison and three additional years of supervision for using a Social Security number or card that belonged to another person to obtain employment.
- 8 were sentenced to five months in prison and three additional years of supervision for illegal entry into the United States.
- 2 were sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison and three additional years of supervision for using identification that belonged to another person to obtain employment.
- 21 were sentenced to five years of probation for using completely fake identification to obtain employment.
- 2 were sentenced to five years of probation for using completely fake Social Security numbers or cards.
- 4 were sentenced to five years of probation for illegal reentry into the United States.
- Of the 297 individuals sentenced, the vast majority ó 248 or 83.5 percent ó came from Guatemala. There were also 48 individuals (16.2 percent) who came from Mexico and one man from the Ukraine.

Although the vast majority of criminal prosecutions has been completed, Arnold made a point of noting that the investigation, led by ICE, is ongoing. An official in the U.S. Attorneyís Office also indicated that the investigation remains open.
http://iowaindependent.com/2366/postville-aftermath-302-detainees-charged-criminally-297-plead-gu

Wow . . .just wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Are you really that surprised? you post articles like this everyday.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
I'm not doing the sauce thing or taking drugs, but something does not smell right. People are getting 5 months of jail time and 3 yrs of supervision for entering the US illegally. Does that mean they can stay in the US after serving the 5 months in jail so we can supervise them??????. I have a better idea. Sentence those people to 6 months jail time (suspended if they return to country of origin), and if they return illegally then they will serve 1 yr jail time and deportation. Steve

Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 AM

307 posts, read 458,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Are you really that surprised? you post articles like this everyday.
She is surprised that they are actually being given prison time, as opposed to a Free I.D. Card, Free Food, and Free Housing on the taxpayers dime, like in San Francisco.

Random

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM

307 posts, read 458,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I'm not doing the sauce thing or taking drugs, but something does not smell right. People are getting 5 months of jail time and 3 yrs of supervision for entering the US illegally. Does that mean they can stay in the US after serving the 5 months in jail so we can supervise them??????. I have a better idea. Sentence those people to 6 months jail time (suspended if they return to country of origin), and if they return illegally then they will serve 1 yr jail time and deportation. Steve
Don't worry. The supervision does not prevent them from being deported. The reason for the courts ALSO giving probation is in case it is later discovered one of them is here legally. But I can see how at first glance the wording is confusing.

Random

Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I see I'm not the only one smelling something rancid. Why arenít these people being immediately processed for deportation? They are all illegal aliens, and most are guilty of some form of identity theft or fraud. This is simply a slap on the wrist, and is certainly not a deterrent for other illegals. Itís absolutely ridiculous!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 AM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I see I'm not the only one smelling something rancid. Why arenít these people being immediately processed for deportation? They are all illegal aliens, and most are guilty of some form of identity theft or fraud. This is simply a slap on the wrist, and is certainly not a deterrent for other illegals. Itís absolutely ridiculous!
That's all the Government can give- coming to the U.S illegally isn't a "big offense" unless deported for a second time at which it becomes a felony.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Wow
5 months of cable tv and hot meals. That is pretty harsh don't you think?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
That's all the Government can give- coming to the U.S illegally isn't a "big offense" unless deported for a second time at which it becomes a felony.
Time tochange the law tomake the first offense a felony.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
She is surprised that they are actually being given prison time, as opposed to a Free I.D. Card, Free Food, and Free Housing on the taxpayers dime, like in San Francisco.

Random
Agreed. Unfortunately, like Benicar, I smell a rat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or