U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Judgmental much?
I've seen plenty of posts by people calling other people anti-american, questionig their legal status e.t.c. And you're calling someone judgemental? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I've seen plenty of posts by people calling other people anti-american, questionig their legal status e.t.c. And you're calling someone judgemental? LOL!
Would you care to show where I've called someone anti-American or questioned their legal status?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,005,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Judgmental much?
Not nearly as much as the person I was replying to. I can understand some of the anger, though I can't understand calling a group of millions 'cowards' and other names that suggest that none of them have any dignity or self respect. Is that not being judgmental?

I can make points all day about so many different aspects of this debate, but when it comes down to it, some will still despise the the illegal immigrants more than anyone else who is at fault for the issue. There will still be a witch hunt, and the mob will still use hateful terms to describe the group. And that's what I can't really understand much. There is simply no way to cast a human light on the subject for some. There are just some strong and extreme views that seem more hateful than logical to me.

Oh well. We all feel we are justified in feeling the way we do. I suppose there's no changing that.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Oh well. We all feel we are justified in feeling the way we do. I suppose there's no changing that.
As I've posted before, you ARE correct in noting that some folks can use phraseology that CAN sound a little uncharitable, and even 'testy'. I'll agree that it doesn't always sound 'nice'.

But you must admit that what we're seeing today is FAIRLY unique. Here we have a situation straight out of a cheap 'adventure novel', in which literally TEN PERCENT of a pretty large country has packed up and moved into the NEIGHBORING country....mostly with no permission, no authorization, and no invitation from most of the 'locals'. And this group of 'trespassers' isn't at all shy, either..in demanding all sorts of rights and concessions, and in playing the 'race card' shamelessly, whether it's appropriate or not. They have succeed in large measure in putting "us" (the American public) on the defensive.

Altogether, I think it's safe to say that this is a pretty unique situation....and what's remarkable to ME, is not the amount of anger and 'hate' we see, but the LACK of it.

Ask yourself this...where else in the world could this occur, and have SMOOTHER results? Off hand, I can't think of any place. So we have some 'unkind remarks'...OK...and your point is?.....

Something to at least consider.

Last edited by macmeal; 09-08-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As I've posted before, you ARE correct in noting that some folks can use phraseology that CAN sound a little uncharitable, and even 'testy'. I'll agree that it doesn't always sound 'nice'.

But you must admit that what we're seeing today is FAIRLY unique. Here we have a situation straight out of a cheap 'adventure novel', in which literally TEN PERCENT of a pretty large country has packed up and moved into the NEIGHBORING country....mostly with no permission, no authorization, and no invitation from most of the 'locals'. And this group of 'trespassers' isn't at all shy, either..in demanding all sorts of rights and concessions, and in playing the 'race card' shamelessly, whether it's appropriate or not. They have succeed in large measure in putting "us" (the American public) on the defensive.

Altogether, I think it's safe to say that this is a pretty unique situation....and what's remarkable to ME, is not the amount of anger and 'hate' we see, but the LACK of it.

Ask yourself this...where else in the world could this occur, and have SMOOTHER results? Off hand, I can't think of any place. So we have some 'unkind remarks'...OK...and you point is?.....

Great post-as usual-macmeal!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Ask yourself this...where else in the world could this occur, and have SMOOTHER results? Off hand, I can't think of any place. So we have some 'unkind remarks'...OK...and you point is?.....

That’s what gets my goat…….the sheer arrogance of people who illegally enter this country, and once here, have no problem making demands. Yet, refuse to ‘understand’ why we, the legal citizens, are annoyed, angry, resentful, hateful -- you name it.

Had this been any other country, there would have already been several incidents of widespread violence and bloodshed. We aren’t even given credit for tolerating this nonsense. How much more 'civil' are we expected to be?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,921,056 times
the only true solution is to close the border up tight like fort knox...
stop letting them sneak over time and time again...
stop letting them sneak over just to give birth to anchor babies...
just stop them from getting here.. PERIOD!
Then,,, empty out our tax paying prisons of all the gangbanging illegal
lowlifes and throw'em back over the wall.
and next time the mexican army decides to sneak over for a quick buck,
open fire. there is more than a dozen accounts in the last 2 years where the
mexican army has been seen on AMERICAN soil!
The ONLY true solution is to stop *****-footing around and show every illegal
that we mean business.. go home and STAY HOME!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s what gets my goat…….the sheer arrogance of people who illegally enter this country, and once here, have no problem making demands. Yet, refuse to ‘understand’ why we, the legal citizens, are annoyed, angry, resentful, hateful -- you name it.

Had this been any other country, there would have already been several incidents of widespread violence and bloodshed. We aren’t even given credit for tolerating this nonsense. How much more 'civil' are we expected to be?
Yes. It's also an affront to those from other countries who spend a lot of time and money, take test after test, prove they have skills and education, wait years, and then come here legally, pay taxes, and become contributing members of society without once sucking off the government.

I am not sure what we can do to "solve" the problem. I think most of it is in the hands of the Mexican government (who would just rather have the problem disappear across the border). Unfortunately, we are so economically bound to Mexico, it is hard to pressure the government to do anything.

Maybe changing the rules of citizenship (not automatically a citizen just by being born here), eliminating all the forms/help lines/etc in Spanish, eliminating any access to government programs, and instituting immediate deportation upon arrest.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
the only true solution is to close the border up tight like fort knox...
stop letting them sneak over time and time again...
stop letting them sneak over just to give birth to anchor babies...
just stop them from getting here.. PERIOD!
Then,,, empty out our tax paying prisons of all the gangbanging illegal
lowlifes and throw'em back over the wall.
and next time the mexican army decides to sneak over for a quick buck,
open fire. there is more than a dozen accounts in the last 2 years where the
mexican army has been seen on AMERICAN soil!

The ONLY true solution is to stop *****-footing around and show every illegal
that we mean business.. go home and STAY HOME!
True. Yet, not a word is heard from the MSM. Only Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck have the courage to report on this. They have even fired on our Border Patrol.

Our government officials sit back like wimps, while the Mexican military enters this country at will. If our military entered Mexico without permission, all hell would break loose. I sure would like to know what deal was made with Mexico that allows them to invade our country with impunity.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
True. Yet, not a word is heard from the MSM. Only Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck have the courage to report on this. They have even fired on our Border Patrol.

Our government officials sit back like wimps, while the Mexican military enters this country at will. If our military entered Mexico without permission, all hell would break loose. I sure would like to know what deal was made with Mexico that allows them to invade our country with impunity.

Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration