U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
 
271 posts, read 523,678 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

Well the solution is very simple, maybe not humane to most but it would work. you bring home the troops we have occupying the rest of the world, put them on the border for 1 year tours each, we build a huge wall that cant be scaled, put a warning boundry if anyone crosses that shoot them, preferably in the head quick easy, believe me that would deter most illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,636,923 times
Reputation: 2035
Absolutely DreamingofsouthDekota. Immigration is entirely different to Illegal Immigration and troops on the border may be the only answer. America should decide who enters it's borders and who doesn't. This is NOT a free for all and decided by who manages to evade detection to come into a country. No legal status---- No say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We are not responsible for Mexico; they are a sovereign nation and have the resources to support their own people. They are simply dumping their underclass and criminals into this country for the hard-working U.S. taxpayers to subsidize. Frankly, I am sick of my tax dollars being squandered on illegal aliens.
.
While I agree with your whole post, the above section, in particular, is beyond argument. It simply is true, because it "is". There is absolutely no doubt at all that Mexico is abusing its own poor, and that its biggest 'enabler' in continuing to do this, is the porous US border. That much is simple fact.

Is it "humane" to begin enforcing our immigration laws? I don't know...but I can't imagine why not. It would cause 'upset' and 'hurt feelings' to do so..but that's because we've NEGLECTED the situation for so long, not because it's 'inhumane' to exclude those who don't belong here. Is it "inhumane"...or "mean-spirited"...or "harsh", to crack down on shoplifters..or drunk drivers...or 'squatters' on public lands? Only to the extent that if it's gone on awhile, it will take some 'getting used to' now that the laws are being enforced. But that doesn't mean such laws are inhumane, or unfair, by any means. All it REALLY means is that there's been a "party" going on, for too long...and that now, the "party's over".

So if the law begins to be enforced, I suppose it means that Mexicans can no longer 'walk in', dodge a few laws, and set up housekeeping here? Well, as a matter of fact, neither can Haitians...or Lithuanians...or Chinese...or Bosnians, Chechnyans, Afghans, or Laotians. In fact NO ONE can just 'stroll in' here, because this happens to be a SOVEREIGN NATION. And like any OTHER sovereign nation, it has laws forbidding unauthorized entry. Is that 'inhumane'?....sure doesn't seem like it to me. We DO take in a large number of LEGAL entrants, and we're pretty 'easy'. I wouldn't call us inhumane...but I guess you could, if you're making a case for continued illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,011,994 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Nice to see you managed to slur people that are against illegal immigration in your last sentence. Couldn't help yourself, could you?
You've got to admit that some of the attitudes taken on the issue are pretty horrible - no compassion at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,011,994 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSouthDakota View Post
Well the solution is very simple, maybe not humane to most but it would work. you bring home the troops we have occupying the rest of the world, put them on the border for 1 year tours each, we build a huge wall that cant be scaled, put a warning boundry if anyone crosses that shoot them, preferably in the head quick easy, believe me that would deter most illegals.
Right. So much for a rational discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,011,994 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
While I agree with your whole post, the above section, in particular, is beyond argument. It simply is true, because it "is". There is absolutely no doubt at all that Mexico is abusing its own poor, and that its biggest 'enabler' in continuing to do this, is the porous US border. That much is simple fact.

Is it "humane" to begin enforcing our immigration laws? I don't know...but I can't imagine why not. It would cause 'upset' and 'hurt feelings' to do so..but that's because we've NEGLECTED the situation for so long, not because it's 'inhumane' to exclude those who don't belong here. Is it "inhumane"...or "mean-spirited"...or "harsh", to crack down on shoplifters..or drunk drivers...or 'squatters' on public lands? Only to the extent that if it's gone on awhile, it will take some 'getting used to' now that the laws are being enforced. But that doesn't mean such laws are inhumane, or unfair, by any means. All it REALLY means is that there's been a "party" going on, for too long...and that now, the "party's over".

So if the law begins to be enforced, I suppose it means that Mexicans can no longer 'walk in', dodge a few laws, and set up housekeeping here? Well, as a matter of fact, neither can Haitians...or Lithuanians...or Chinese...or Bosnians, Chechnyans, Afghans, or Laotians. In fact NO ONE can just 'stroll in' here, because this happens to be a SOVEREIGN NATION. And like any OTHER sovereign nation, it has laws forbidding unauthorized entry. Is that 'inhumane'?....sure doesn't seem like it to me. We DO take in a large number of LEGAL entrants, and we're pretty 'easy'. I wouldn't call us inhumane...but I guess you could, if you're making a case for continued illegal immigration.
I'm not making a case for continued illegal immigration. But when I read about people wanting to shoot those trying to cross the border, or, deporting mothers and/or fathers, that doesn't seem like the right thing to do morally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:50 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,077 posts, read 21,228,410 times
Reputation: 22571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'm not making a case for continued illegal immigration. But when I read about people wanting to shoot those trying to cross the border, or, deporting mothers and/or fathers, that doesn't seem like the right thing to do morally.
Should we have the SCOTUS consult with you in the future on issues? Did it ever occur to you that what is moral is a matter of opinion, and everyone has their own ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'm not making a case for continued illegal immigration. But when I read about people wanting to shoot those trying to cross the border, or, deporting mothers and/or fathers, that doesn't seem like the right thing to do morally.
While I would hope that no rational person seriously proposes shooting anyone for crossing the border, I'll have to call you on the "mothers and fathers" remark. Virtually ALL crime, major or minor, violent or not, involves SOMEONE'S mother, father, son, daughter, or loved one. When "Mom and Dad" get into trouble, the kiddies become involved, like it or not.

When Dad gets fined, that's money the 'kids' might have used. When Mom gets hauled off to jail, the 'kids' have to stay elsewhere. And when Mom and Dad can't pay the mortgage, the 'kids' lose their home.

"Family ties" is compelling..(we ALL have them)...but is no argument at all in a case like this. It's irrelevant. What about working people HERE, whose wage scale is depressed by illegal competition, to the point that they can no longer work in their field? That's right..when such people lose their jobs, THEIR kids suffer. Kids will ALWAYS suffer for the mistakes of the adults in their lives. It's pretty much a 'given'.

LASTLY, you say you're "not making a case for continued illegal immigration"...OK, but if that's truly the case, you must realize that it will have to be STOPPED...it's highly unlikely to "stop" on its own....and stopping illegal immigration will necessitate at least SOME form of a 'crackdown'..and as such, will no doubt generate HOWLS of protest from many fronts. So how does one "not make a case for continued illegal immigration", yet at the same time not "inconvenience, annoy, or anger" those who continue to try to immigrate here illegally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Reputation: 6517
1. No matter how sad, how unfortunate the citizens of Mexico or any other nation might be that does not make it our problem, nor should it be our burden.
2. Our immigration laws are more than fair compared to most. The fact that they succeeded in sneaking into our country does not obligate us to forgive their trespasses or assume their burden.
3. Their attitude that we must adapt to them is absurd and unrealistic.
4. Enorcing our laws is not being inhumane it simply means that we are enforcing our just laws which are perfectly with in our rights to enforce.
5. What is reasonable. That foreigners regardless of ethnic backround, race orreligion respect our borders and our right to select who may enter and decline those we feel are not worthy.
Its not personal, at least not until the illegals make it personal by stealing our jobs, lowballing us out of work denying us the privacy of our own Identity. It is they who have made this a personal problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,011,994 times
Reputation: 488
I guess I just would like to see a solution that works for everyone and does as little damage to peoples' lives as possible. Illegal immigration should be put in check. I was hoping to see more solutions that put more thought into the lives of everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top