Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Even the Chicanos in America have a different culture as Americans. Its not that they're not American, theyre just a different flavor of American. And that still bothers people. Like, I dont want to sound cliche, but people arent really accepted in certain circles as being "American" until they act..well, white. Then, they are fully assimilated.
Define "acting white". This is something I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Define "acting white". This is something I don't understand.
Tough question, and it was painful for me to even use that one. But I guess culturally anglo is the best way to explain what I mean. Maybe Anglo-American is a better term for "white".

I think in certain circles, youre not completely assimilated, or truly "American" until youve distanced yourself from most of your ethnic culture, along with its negative stereotypes.

I think American can mean all kinds of things. Theres lots of different flavors of Americans instead of one single, right American culture. Which many consider Anglo to be.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Tough question, and it was painful for me to even use that one. But I guess culturally anglo is the best way to explain what I mean. Maybe Anglo-American is a better term for "white".

I think in certain circles, youre not completely assimilated, or truly "American" until youve distanced yourself from most of your ethnic culture, along with its negative stereotypes.

I think American can mean all kinds of things. Theres lots of different flavors of Americans instead of one single, right American culture. Which many consider Anglo to be.

Acting British isn't acting American either. Anglo refers to English people and culture, not ours. There are naturally some British influences -- probably due to language and because the Brits are our most steadfast ally.

America has a melting pot culture but also a culture derived from certain traits the early Americans had. I think you're right that it involves distancing yourself -- breaking away from the "ethnic" stuff. Most of our culture is distinctly American, invented here sometimes with a little borrowing from others if convenient but not a whole lot of borrowing, just dabs of this and dabs of that.

Interest in other cultures is often just a fad --the 60s was the British bands, hippies listened to music from India, the 80s brought in Australian music and Jamaican. Distinctly American culture has to come from the groups that have roots in this country, jazz music for example, early rock and roll, blues and folk music, gospel -- otherwise it wouldn't be American but from another culture. An example, German music for example isn't American, it never originated here. A group of German ethnics yodeling wearing Swiss hiking shorts with suspenders looking like they just came down from the Alps, they aren't culturally American.

I don't think American culture is "white" and it's not "black" but because the American people are, that's what most influences the culture along with influences from the Indians because there is that too.

I don't think it's so different in your country. Mexico isn't "white" or "brown" or "black" but all three shaped the culture. The language is from Spain but many of the names of cities are Nahuatl and other. Just like England gave the "anglo" influence here, Spain gave a "hispanic" influence in Mexico but a lot of Mexican culture is uniquely Mexico's.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
The fact is Hispanics are having a large influence on American culture. This isn't about multiculturalism because as has been proven-- people are assimilating. It's all a question of is "Will people embrace change?"
Those videos don't look or sound like a whole lot of Mexican influence at all -- it's hispanics going for rap and hip hop -- straight out of American urban culture.

Now here's some Mexican culture -- but I haven't seen a whole lot of American youths getting all that influenced by it.

YouTube - Antonio Aguilar..."EL CABALLO BAYO"...(1969)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those videos don't look or sound like a whole lot of Mexican influence at all -- it's hispanics going for rap and hip hop -- straight out of American urban culture.

Now here's some Mexican culture -- but I haven't seen a whole lot of American youths getting all that influenced by it.

YouTube - Antonio Aguilar..."EL CABALLO BAYO"...(1969)
Are you denying the fact that the U.S is being influenced by Mexican culture?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 AM

I take it all back!

I can see that there's been a lot of Mexican influence on American musicians lately.

YouTube - KoRn - EL SINALOENSE ( MAIZ , EL RECODO COVER)

YouTube - SLIPKNOT - EL SAUCE Y LA PALMA (ESLICNOT)

Something has to be done about this!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I take it all back!

I can see that there's been a lot of Mexican influence on American musicians lately.

YouTube - KoRn - EL SINALOENSE ( MAIZ , EL RECODO COVER)

YouTube - SLIPKNOT - EL SAUCE Y LA PALMA (ESLICNOT)

Something has to be done about this!
Take a trip down to Tejas, and then tell me if you think American culture isn't influenced by Mexican culture.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Are you denying the fact that the U.S is being influenced by Mexican culture?
The food fads right now include tacos and enchildadas -- but also sushi and I still see plenty of Chinese food restaurants.

I think there are a lot of Mexicans here who hang onto their culture, but really I don't see many Americans picking up much of it. There is a lot of Mexican culture in the USA but that's because there's a lot of Mexicans living here.

I hear many more Mexicans speaking Spanglish -- where they use many English words -- "esta working", "da me la pencil" but I don't hear that with English speakers.

I don't see Americans wearing big sombreros, or panchos.

As far as musicians singing Spanish songs -- that's gone on for a long time -- it's nothing new.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The food fads right now include tacos and enchildadas -- but also sushi and I still see plenty of Chinese food restaurants.

I think there are a lot of Mexicans here who hang onto their culture, but really I don't see many Americans picking up much of it. There is a lot of Mexican culture in the USA but that's because there's a lot of Mexicans living here.

Obviously you've never been to Texas then. Its starting from the South and west.

I hear many more Mexicans speaking Spanglish -- where they use many English words -- "esta working", "da me la pencil" but I don't hear that with English speakers.

I speak Spanglish too, getting pretty good at it

I don't see Americans wearing big sombreros, or panchos.

Me neither. I rarely see Mexicans wearing them either unless they're out in el fil

As far as musicians singing Spanish songs -- that's gone on for a long time -- it's nothing new.
Anyway, AMERICANS of Mexican descent account for 9% of the population. That's a big number. Don't see any of these Americans picking up Mexican influences? Hard to believe.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 AM

American musicians have played music from other countries for many decades now.

YouTube - louis armstrong - adios muchachos

YouTube - La vie en rose - Louis Armstrong

YouTube - Marty Robbins - Spanish Lullaby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration