U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Man, I think malamute knows a lot more about Mexican music than me. I didn't even know who Valentine Elizalde was. LOL! malamute, I think you're more Mexified than me!
I also know who Vicente Fernandez is -- and for this gansta' rap guy promoting violence and drugs, to compare himself to him -- well that's just an insult.

Ven aqui mami (come here babe), pass a nig** a Corona
Yo soy El REY de fckin' California (I'm the king of f'ng California)
(Eres Juego)
Tu eres muy bonita, te extrano my senorita
Me is the negro Vicente Fernandez (I am the black Vicente Fernandez)
Mi cuarenta Y Cinco, (My 45) I need you to understand this
California ain't no country for old men

Vicente Fernandez -- the real one -- real Mexican culture:

YouTube - Vicente Fernandez "Hoy Platique Con Mi Gallo"

(Today I talked with my chicken)

--- however -- a more noble song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM

And for those who wonder who Valentin Elizalde was -- very popular Mexican singer who sang for the cartels.

In this one he makes a challenge to his narco-enemies:

YouTube - A Mis Enemigos-Valentin Elizalde

And this one shows how they answered the challenge: (not the worst by far of videos showing that)

YouTube - camioneta de valentin elizalde

You can kind of see how gansa' rap would do well for those who might somewhat assimilate.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:16 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And for those who wonder who Valentin Elizalde was -- very popular Mexican singer who sang for the cartels.

In this one he makes a challenge to his narco-enemies:

YouTube - A Mis Enemigos-Valentin Elizalde

And this one shows how they answered the challenge: (not the worst by far of videos showing that)

YouTube - camioneta de valentin elizalde

You can kind of see how gansa' rap would do well for those who might somewhat assimilate.

I don't know about all that, I find that Music annoying.. along with Country and that southern folk music.

Here's some more for ya malamute:
YouTube - Scweez feat.Chingo Bling-Where I'm From

Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,003,997 times
Quote:
Revenue for sure -- but considering the lyrics -- you have to wonder if they aren't intentionally promoting murder. I guess this assimilates some Mexicans, gives them an alternative to narco corridas.

Buenos días maricones (Good day homosexuals)
Vamonos!

(The Game)
Picture me stuck inside this mind of a loco matador
Bout' to comit suicide behind that project door
La vida loca, mi familia, estas loca
Don't fck around with no snitch mayates,
I got they (female dog) azz in check with the Cuete en tu cabeza (gun at your head)
A spanish maid better come and clean the fckin' mess up
Gangsta, it ain't about where you from, it's where you wear your gun
(Ay Vienen Dispara)
Let 'em come
See I never told Dre I was disconnected
(Viva Mexico)
And get your ribs dissected
Es muy pandillero en mi blanco camero
Feel these buck shots to your souls with these barrels
The devil con permizo diablo
You saw the Lamborghini up escapo Pablo
Get them from Durango send them to Chicago.....
Oh my god, are you serious?
Theyre not trying to gain the MEXICAN audience.
And Chicanos arent searching from some kind of void left by the absence of narcocorridos.
I cant believe the generalizations youre making off limited knowledge, lol. It all fits together to you, but youre just speculating!

Just because someone is of Mexican descent doesnt mean they HAVE to listen to music from Mexico, anymore than African-Americans have to listen to music from Africa, or Irish-Americans have to listen to celtic music and riverdance!

Fact is, many Chicanos are growing up in the inner-city, urban type situation so many relate a lot to rap. Many also relate to punk, or any other American music.

Fact #2 is, most of the black LA rappers grew up with CHICANOS being a big part of their life.
You have Mexicans from Mexico stuck in your mind, when a lot of them are referencing Chicanos they grow up with on the next block or at school, or on the same street. Whether they got beef with them, or they are cool with them, or they just seen them around. LA has always had a Latino flavor to it. And believe it or not, Mexicans have been here long enough to develop our own American culture, and have really influenced West Coast American culture.

And Mexicans didn't suddenly start coming into Black neghborhoods, having a culture shock! LOL.
In LA, theyve been sharing neighborhoods for a loooong time. The only reason it makes news is because they just switched sides. Blacks were 75percent and Mexicans were 25percent in certain neighborhoods, and now its the other way around.

Quote:
2-Pac:

Cause would it be LA without Mexicans?
Black love brown pride and the sets again
Pete Wilson tryin to see us all broke, I'm on some bull****
Out for everything they owe, remember K-DAY

Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I don't know about all that, I find that Music annoying.. along with Country and that southern folk music.

Here's some more for ya malamute:
YouTube - Scweez feat.Chingo Bling-Where I'm From
Damn, youre giving the guy a whole clip of ammo!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Let's see. The main drives of culture is language and food. Look at American culture under that light. Nachos? Pinatas? Spanish?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 PM

YouTube - Eminem - The Real Slim Shady MUSIC VIDEO

YouTube - "So What'cha Want"

Whites as well as Mexicans jumped onto the rap bandwagon -- but blacks are the originators of rap music. Puerto Ricans and Jamaicans also had an early influence.

Fine with me if they start singing gangsta' rap in Spanglish -- it does show at least some Mexicans are assimilating with some American culture even if it's gangsta' rap and it must be sung in Spanish to make it understandable. Instead of calling women "hoes", call them "putas" and talk about drugs and killing in Spanish and you've got a new audience. Too bad there's not much other evidence of assimilation.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Whites as well as Mexicans jumped onto the rap bandwagon -- but blacks are the originators of rap music. Puerto Ricans and Jamaicans also had an early influence.

Fine with me if they start singing gangsta' rap in Spanglish -- it does show at least some Mexicans are assimilating with some American culture even if it's gangsta' rap and it must be sung in Spanish to make it understandable. Instead of calling women "hoes", call them "putas" and talk about drugs and killing in Spanish and you've got a new audience. Too bad there's not much other evidence of assimilation.
You forgot about the "gringo" in the Mexican Rock band Molotov . No evidence of assimilation? Who's the treasurer of the United States of America?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Mexicans jumped the rap bandwagon like whites?? LOL.

Rap music tends to be about the rappers life. About their neighborhood. About situations where they are from.

Black people in LA grow up sharing neighborhoods and ghettos with Mexican people.
Black people in New York grow up sharing neighborhoods and ghettos with Puerto Ricans, Dominicans.

Youre not grasping that!
Im sorry, its just a peeve of mine. When all those rappers were cruising around in Lowriders, Latinos didn't yell at them for "trying to be like Mexicans".

When rappers talked about their "locs", short for LOCOS, which are dark sunglasses, nobody called them wannabes.

THe only reason LA rap ever stuck out against New York, was because the LA guys' style, which was heavily Latino-influenced.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/B000003AEN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (broken link)

Mexicans are assimilating, but they identify with Chicanos mostly, who are already in American culture, and ingrained in hip hop culture. Theyre not making a transition from corridos to rap music

Where are you from? And are you Latino?
Im hoping for an explanation behind your lack of knowledge, lol

Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM

No one is denying there are influences in music back and forth and across many countries.

"Hispanics" have influenced music -- it's nothing new, nothing special. Not just gansta' rap either.

YouTube - Oye Como Va - Carlos Santana

YouTube - Santana. Samba Pa Ti

YouTube - Jose Feliciano - Malaguena

YouTube - Jose Feliciano - Zorba The Greek

YouTube - RITCHIE VALENS-LA BAMBA

YouTube - Los Lobos - Kiko and the Lavender Moon (video)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or