U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Public enemy number one in the war for our children?
Good thing 3 27.27%
Bad thing 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
At the end of the day, the future is inevitable. Mixed-babies are expected to triple.. and significant numbers of the population are likely to be of Latino descent. Case and point.
Descent is not a 'choice'. Behavior is. Will these 'mixed' babies be capable of adapting to American culture ? And will they be able to do this WITHOUT our having to simply throw out all standards and re-define American culture?...I hope so...(I have three 'mixed' kids of my own). But if we continue to drum into their heads 'you're not like OTHER people, you're MIXED,' then possibly they'll have a 'mixed' outlook on their part in our society.

Forgetting race for a moment, just how much 'mix' do you envision, culturally and otherwise, and how many 'mixtures', will we be able to accomodate, if we expect our society to be able to agree on anything?

This isn't a trick question. Many people on this forum have widely-differing notions of what the term 'mix', exactly, entails. Mixed ancestry? Mixed loyalties? Mixed ethics? Mixed values? Nobody seems to agree on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,493 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Descent is not a 'choice'. Behavior is. Will these 'mixed' babies be capable of adapting to American culture...I hope so...(I have three 'mixed' kids of my own). But if we continue to drum into their heads 'you're not like OTHER people, you're MIXED,' then possibly they'll have a 'mixed' outlook on their part in our society.


Forgetting race for a moment, just how much 'mix' do you envision, culturally and otherwise, and how many 'mixtures', will we be able to accomodate, if we expect our society to be able to agree on anything?

This isn't a trick question. Many people on this forum have widely-differing notions of what the term 'mix', exactly, entails. Mixed ancestry? Mixed loyalties? Mixed ethics? Mixed values? Nobody seems to agree on this.
I think in American culture nowadays its considered "Cool" to be different. "I don't want to wear the same thing as you, I want my own style. I knew a Mexican girl when I was younger, she used to tell people she was Spanish and Mexican because she wanted to show her friends she to had European ancestors.

I forgot where I read but it was outlining the fact that the Hispanic population is likely to double, and so is the amount of mixed-heritage kids. Take Jessica Alba for example. She does NOT consider herself as a Latino Actress. This mixing that will be going on will come from Latino and anglo couples. Looking back on it it seemed most of my friends were half anglo. I don't think its about "accomodating" anyone. I think if you have parents of two heritages, both will influence you and your families of different heritages will treat you the same. I have a cousin who is married to a marine that is both of Mexican and Anglo ancestry. At the wedding there was no "accomodating." The mass was in English and English only. At the party there was a large number of whites there, almost as much as there were Mexicans. We had a great time!

I think the term mixed is subjective. It would literally mean race mixing but that isn't quite accurate. People of mixed background in my experience like to say " "I'm half-Mexican and Half white". Wouldn't this make the person MORE white? I mean they most likely have a Spanish ancestor who is 'White' and now they're even whiter and less native indian.. That is why the term mixed-heritage should replace multiracial or interacially mixed because really, its gotten more cultural than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think in American culture nowadays its considered "Cool" to be different. "I don't want to wear the same thing as you, I want my own style. I knew a Mexican girl when I was younger, she used to tell people she was Spanish and Mexican because she wanted to show her friends she to had European ancestors.

I forgot where I read but it was outlining the fact that the Hispanic population is likely to double, and so is the amount of mixed-heritage kids. Take Jessica Alba for example. She does NOT consider herself as a Latino Actress. This mixing that will be going on will come from Latino and anglo couples. Looking back on it it seemed most of my friends were half anglo. I don't think its about "accomodating" anyone. I think if you have parents of two heritages, both will influence you and your families of different heritages will treat you the same. I have a cousin who is married to a marine that is both of Mexican and Anglo ancestry. At the wedding there was no "accomodating." The mass was in English and English only. At the party there was a large number of whites there, almost as much as there were Mexicans. We had a great time!

I think the term mixed is subjective. It would literally mean race mixing but that isn't quite accurate. People of mixed background in my experience like to say " "I'm half-Mexican and Half white". Wouldn't this make the person MORE white? I mean they most likely have a Spanish ancestor who is 'White' and now they're even whiter and less native indian.. That is why the term mixed-heritage should replace multiracial or interacially mixed because really, its gotten more cultural than anything.
OK....thanks. What you say sounds perfectly reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,493 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK....thanks. What you say sounds perfectly reasonable.
Judging by your sarcastic past.. I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic.

Btw.. wouldn't your children qualify as Mestizos?

Last edited by Californio; 09-07-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Judging by your sarcastic past.. I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic.
Sorry..I'm serious. Yes, I DO get sarcastic (a habit I picked up in childhood, raised in a family where sarcasm was considered a 'fine art') This time, I'm serious. Your definition of 'mixture' and 'diversity' sounds perfectly OK to me. Some others, I'm afraid, go way 'over the top'. Or maybe I just don't 'get them'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think in American culture nowadays its considered "Cool" to be different. "I don't want to wear the same thing as you, I want my own style. I knew a Mexican girl when I was younger, she used to tell people she was Spanish and Mexican because she wanted to show her friends she to had European ancestors.

I forgot where I read but it was outlining the fact that the Hispanic population is likely to double, and so is the amount of mixed-heritage kids. Take Jessica Alba for example. She does NOT consider herself as a Latino Actress. This mixing that will be going on will come from Latino and anglo couples. Looking back on it it seemed most of my friends were half anglo. I don't think its about "accomodating" anyone. I think if you have parents of two heritages, both will influence you and your families of different heritages will treat you the same. I have a cousin who is married to a marine that is both of Mexican and Anglo ancestry. At the wedding there was no "accomodating." The mass was in English and English only. At the party there was a large number of whites there, almost as much as there were Mexicans. We had a great time!

I think the term mixed is subjective. It would literally mean race mixing but that isn't quite accurate. People of mixed background in my experience like to say " "I'm half-Mexican and Half white". Wouldn't this make the person MORE white? I mean they most likely have a Spanish ancestor who is 'White' and now they're even whiter and less native indian.. That is why the term mixed-heritage should replace multiracial or interacially mixed because really, its gotten more cultural than anything.
As for stereotypes: Catherine Zeta Jones is typecast as a Latina-------never mind that she is British and probably has no recent Spanish heritage.

OTOH: when the movie 'The Perez Family' was filmed: several Hispanic advocacy groups were up in arms over an English actor portraying the father----------never mind that Alfred Molina is of part Spanish lineage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785


Ethnic Hungarian woman who gets mistaken for American Indian, etc a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,493 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As for stereotypes: Catherine Zeta Jones is typecast as a Latina-------never mind that she is British and probably has no recent Spanish heritage.

OTOH: when the movie 'The Perez Family' was filmed: several Hispanic advocacy groups were up in arms over an English actor portraying the father----------never mind that Alfred Molina is of part Spanish lineage.
In fact looking at the George Lopez show, the daughter isn't even Hispanic. Angie isn't Cuban either, she's of Mexican descent. As for Sandra Bullock being a producer? .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As for stereotypes: Catherine Zeta Jones is typecast as a Latina-------never mind that she is British and probably has no recent Spanish heritage.

OTOH: when the movie 'The Perez Family' was filmed: several Hispanic advocacy groups were up in arms over an English actor portraying the father----------never mind that Alfred Molina is of part Spanish lineage.
Im trying to think of when she's been typecast as Latina
Except for Zorro which mightve been as Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,692,570 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
In fact looking at the George Lopez show, the daughter isn't even Hispanic. Angie isn't Cuban either, she's of Mexican descent. As for Sandra Bullock being a producer? .
----------------
"Angie isn't Cuban either, she's of Mexican descent. "

I knew it I can spot the Cuban imposter lol.

I did think his daughter was Hispanic wasn't sure what group .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top