U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Public enemy number one in the war for our children?
Good thing 3 27.27%
Bad thing 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
In fact looking at the George Lopez show, the daughter isn't even Hispanic. Angie isn't Cuban either, she's of Mexican descent. As for Sandra Bullock being a producer? .
I even heard the guy playing Scarface wasnt really Hispanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,692,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I even heard the guy playing Scarface wasnt really Hispanic

Actually from what I understand most Cuban's were happy about that as they were against the movie .

GL wife isn't fooling us we knew from Day 1 she wasn't Cuban . The daughter I had no idea wasn't even Hispanic.

I saw the guy who played Al Pacinos partner . He is actually Cuban last year at a House of Pancakes at 2am .

Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Actually from what I understand most Cuban's were happy about that as they were against the movie .

GL wife isn't fooling us we knew from Day 1 she wasn't Cuban . The daughter I had no idea wasn't even Hispanic.

I saw the guy who played Al Pacinos partner . He is actually Cuban last year at a House of Pancakes at 2am .
The part was written for a Cuban for the story's sake, and they probably just chose her from an audition, or maybe she has a good agent.

Acting is what actors do. Antonio Banderas has played Mexican and Puerto Rican.
Benecio Del Toro is Puerto Rican and has played Mexican.
Liam Neeson played Czechoslovakian.
Johnny Depp has played British.
Robert Downey Jr. recently played Australian playing Black.

I can understand the Cuban community being against Scarface.
Mexican usually get typecast as Cholos, drug dealers, or illegals. The sad part is, people believe the stereotype, lol.
I dont get offended though. Its just entertainment, and if someone is dumb enough to believe a stereotype, they probably wouldve held those opinions anyways.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
CARNAVAL DEL PUEBLO

Enjoy: British people of 'Hispanic' background being 'Latino' for a festival

Old 09-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
CARNAVAL DEL PUEBLO

Enjoy: British people of 'Hispanic' background being 'Latino' for a festival

Thats pretty cool to see Latino culture being celebrated as far away as England.

Its too bad you have to be condescending towards people celebrating their culture.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Not cartoon but Desi Arnaz (Lucille Ball's) husband?

Wait: back then 'Hispanics' were counted as simply Americans.

Only the white ones. The black ones were only seen when they had baseball uniforms or boxing gloves on.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Only the white ones. The black ones were only seen when they had baseball uniforms or boxing gloves on.
Better a baseball uniform or boxing gloves than those shears to cut grapes with, a dirty soda can cut up to scoop water, and a nice layer of pesticides on your skin.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Californio brought up an ugly point:

Both groups that he listed are Muslim----------yet the former commit atrocities against the latter. White supremacy perhaps?
Not white supremacy. There aren't any white people in the Sudan. The janjaweed are often as black as the "black Africans" they persecute. It's a cultural and ethnic war, not a religious or racial one.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,692,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
The part was written for a Cuban for the story's sake, and they probably just chose her from an audition, or maybe she has a good agent.

Acting is what actors do. Antonio Banderas has played Mexican and Puerto Rican.
Benecio Del Toro is Puerto Rican and has played Mexican.
Liam Neeson played Czechoslovakian.
Johnny Depp has played British.
Robert Downey Jr. recently played Australian playing Black.

I can understand the Cuban community being against Scarface.
Mexican usually get typecast as Cholos, drug dealers, or illegals. The sad part is, people believe the stereotype, lol.
I dont get offended though. Its just entertainment, and if someone is dumb enough to believe a stereotype, they probably wouldve held those opinions anyways.
------------------
Scar Face was right on the money from what many Cuban's living here during that time told me.
It was like a documentary. Only change was they should have shown some of South Floridas politician's on his pay roll.

The amount of politician's and cops during that time who went to jail was insane. A whole poloice graduating class was arrested .

Thank God for the Feds as due ONLY to them it was eventually dealt with.

# Cubans were against Scar Face as many said it potrayed us in a negative light and that the huge immigration under Jimmy Carter was not beneficial for USA.
There will be another huge immigration and history will repeat itself .

Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
------------------
Scar Face was right on the money from what many Cuban's living here during that time told me.
It was like a documentary. Only change was they should have shown some of South Floridas politician's on his pay roll.

The amount of politician's and cops during that time who went to jail was insane. A whole poloice graduating class was arrested .

Thank God for the Feds as due ONLY to them it was eventually dealt with.

# Cubans were against Scar Face as many said it potrayed us in a negative light and that the huge immigration under Jimmy Carter was not beneficial for USA.
There will be another huge immigration and history will repeat itself .

Its funny that certain people say that corruption is part of Mexican culture, lol.

The United States has gone through lots of corruption dealing with organzied crime since before the days of Capone.
JFK's father was a smuggler!

I don't think its a "cultural thing", I think its a human thing. You have to clean up the law enforcement of corruption before you deal with crime in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or