U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Public enemy number one in the war for our children?
Good thing 3 27.27%
Bad thing 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I don't get what the big deal is.

In Europe it is rare to see just one language in any location. I really don't understand why it's such a treat to you if there's people who speak a different language than you.

And WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT BI-LINGUAL EDUCATION? All of you "speak English" people expect people to Speak YOUR language when you're in foreign countries, but then you get all huffy and puffy if anyone expects you to actually learn something.
This is not Europe. If living here in the USA: assimilate or else---------illegal aliens do not count since they are criminals by their mere presence when factoring in ID theft, etc.

If anything; it would behoove Mexico to make English an 'official' language since Spanish is of little importance outside of Spain/Latin America. A rough analogy to Spanish would be French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
The funny part about this is the biggest outcry of the US going to digital from analog..............was from





Mexico's border towns.

hahahahahhaha they were all using the free American analog channels as their primary source of tv. Once again the US is evil for tending to it's own citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I don't get what the big deal is.

In Europe it is rare to see just one language in any location. I really don't understand why it's such a treat to you if there's people who speak a different language than you.

And WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT BI-LINGUAL EDUCATION? All of you "speak English" people expect people to Speak YOUR language when you're in foreign countries, but then you get all huffy and puffy if anyone expects you to actually learn something.
Wow, sweeping generalization there. I would say link up with your stats, but it is impossible to link ones imagination, isn't it?

But for the record, learning a foreign -ahem, I mean a second language is admirable. Especially when it is a language that gives you a sense of your ancestral past, or perhaps will enable you to connect back to your 'motherland' more easily.
But it cannot be denied that there must be a unifying language for a nation to remain cohesive. In the US that language would be English. No matter how many Spanish speaking immigrants flood the country, no matter if Mexico used to own the Southwest (two arguements heard often for supporting Spanish as a viable alternative and/or dominant language to English) English is the language of our forefathers and is the language of our laws and of our constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
 
14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
I'm glad to see rightwingers standing up for our American language and culture


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
You know very little about Native Americans and their sense of patriotism.



And apparently you've never been to a Pow Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
(1) Preferring violent revenge over the legal system in cases of disputes..

(2) Killing of religious rivals, burning their places of worship, rather than 'accepting' their presence..

(3) Promoting the right of husbands to physically discipline wives, who are seen as 'property'....

(4) Teaching children that the police and government officials are the 'natural enemy' of the people..

(5) Eating of cats and dogs...sex with barnyard animals...

(6) Forced submission of young girls to genital mutilation, because that's 'the way we do it'...

(7) Forced marriage of underage girls to strangers in their 30's....

(8) Ritual 'gang rape' of promiscuous teenage girls to 'put them in their place', and 'teach them purity'.

(9) Cannibalism

These and MANY other things are parts of people's cultures around the world. Some are illegal in MOST places, but this is of little importance, because the very concept of 'illegality' makes little difference in those cultures. Many OTHERS are actually legal, in MANY places.

ALL of these are cultural attributes that would undoubtedly cause MAJOR friction with the 'neighbors', when and if they were introduced into the average American neighborhood.
Except for cannibalism, genital mutilation, eating of cats and dogs, and bestiality, all of those things existed in the 1920s Southern US, and, while they SHOULD have caused more backlash from the rest of the country than they did, they were tolerated as long as those phenomena stayed inside the South or not far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Corruption is significantly less pervasive here in the USA than Mexico.
Is Louisiana part of the US?

Was George W. Bush the president of Mexico?

As a whole America is significantly less corrupt than Mexico but there are plenty of regional exceptions, and the previous Administration could easily match all but the worst Mexican administrations for corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Except for cannibalism, genital mutilation, eating of cats and dogs, and bestiality, all of those things existed in the 1920s Southern US, and, while they SHOULD have caused more backlash from the rest of the country than they did, they were tolerated as long as those phenomena stayed inside the South or not far from it.
The difference is that we as a nation have moved on. Yes there are isolated pockets of Third World behavior but nothing like even 30-40 years ago.

Not so many generations back my mother's ancestors lived quite similarly to Mexican peons since they were (probably) sharecroppers and had large families. This would have been Orange, Va. ca. 1880. My people according to US Census data tracts lived alongside the working class Blacks as well.

Several folks there had the name 'Cephus' Daniel--------both Black and White people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
 
32 posts, read 40,846 times
Reputation: 32
the balkanization of America
The Balkanization Of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wow, sweeping generalization there. I would say link up with your stats, but it is impossible to link ones imagination, isn't it?

But for the record, learning a foreign -ahem, I mean a second language is admirable. Especially when it is a language that gives you a sense of your ancestral past, or perhaps will enable you to connect back to your 'motherland' more easily.
But it cannot be denied that there must be a unifying language for a nation to remain cohesive. In the US that language would be English. No matter how many Spanish speaking immigrants flood the country, no matter if Mexico used to own the Southwest (two arguements heard often for supporting Spanish as a viable alternative and/or dominant language to English) English is the language of our forefathers and is the language of our laws and of our constitution.
I love the argument for Mexican "past ownership" in the present day Southwesern United States as an excuse for lack of English-speaking skills in illegal immigrants, don't you?

I'm sure that the Navajo, the Hopi, the Mohave, the Commanche, the Pauite, the Ute, the Yaqui, and other Southwestern tribes of Native Americans might have a few small problems with Mexico's concept of "ownership."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top