U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Public enemy number one in the war for our children?
Good thing 3 27.27%
Bad thing 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I love the argument for Mexican "past ownership" in the present day Southwesern United States as an excuse for lack of English-speaking skills in illegal immigrants, don't you?

I'm sure that the Navajo, the Hopi, the Mohave, the Commanche, the Pauite, the Ute, the Yaqui, and other Southwestern tribes of Native Americans might have a few small problems with Mexico's concept of "ownership."
Which is neither here nor there: our Southwest is still under US jurisdiction-----------despite what Mexico may claim.

For that matter: as you pointed out several times here; different waves of pre Euro indigenous people arrived here (probably) subjugating prior tribes/nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM

43 posts, read 45,948 times
[quote=amc760;5144142]These illegals never quit. Public enemy number one in the battle for the American children's souls!

Dora the Explorer

The nerve! Have you seen this show? Teaching kids how to speak Spanish?!?!?!?! And appreciation and tolerance of cultures that ARENT American?! Why Spanish and a Latina? Why should they get their own show and special privileges? Why not a character from Africa teaching kids how to speak Zulu? Or a British character teaching Cockney English? Its clear that Mecha and the MSM have joined forces to force Latino culture on our impressionable children!
Does she teach our children how to burn American flags and get welfare in between teaching the alphabet and number system in MEXICAN!?!?
Couldn't they have put this on Univision instead for that cesspool Mexico??

Thanks god most people in the US are intelligent and rather normal, hispanics on TV is the norm because hispanics represent the largest ethnic group in this country, and the fastest growing one, alos the fastest upwardly moving group, we need many mre Doras on TV

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
These illegals never quit. Public enemy number one in the battle for the American children's souls!

Dora the Explorer

The nerve! Have you seen this show? Teaching kids how to speak Spanish?!?!?!?! And appreciation and tolerance of cultures that ARENT American?! Why Spanish and a Latina? Why should they get their own show and special privileges? Why not a character from Africa teaching kids how to speak Zulu? Or a British character teaching Cockney English? Its clear that Mecha and the MSM have joined forces to force Latino culture on our impressionable children!
Does she teach our children how to burn American flags and get welfare in between teaching the alphabet and number system in MEXICAN!?!?

Thanks god most people in the US are intelligent and rather normal, hispanics on TV is the norm because hispanics represent the largest ethnic group in this country, and the fastest growing one, alos the fastest upwardly moving group, we need many mre Doras on TV
Enjoy your fantasy: if anything; English is becoming more dominant at the expense of many other languages------------including Spanish.

Face it: outside of Spain/Latin America; Spanish is not an important language.

Too: if my personal observations are any guide; the use of Spanish is declining here in Arizona as the illegal aliens are fleeing.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 AM

194 posts, read 400,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
These illegals never quit. Public enemy number one in the battle for the American children's souls!

Dora the Explorer

Well, Im in need of a laugh. How do you guys feel about this Dora the Explorer teaching Spanish to kids on Nick Jr? Good thing or bad thing? Expanding the children's horizons and teaching them to appreciate a culture that is very present in our country, or insidious plan to make our children more susceptible to the Hispanic cultural invasion. The beginning stages of multiculturalism and the precursor to "balkanization" of the US of A.
When I was a kid in Arizona, Sesame Street used to teach me numbers and words in Spanish, back in the 70's. then when I was a little bit older, in Detroit, the same skits were dubbed in french, I was so stupid not to see this was all a big anti-american conspiracy. And to think I have all three of my kids taking spanish, and my son is even trying to learn Polish and German,too And the little girl next door taught my daughter some words in Chinese, oh my God, I must hate my country and my children heaven help me!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 AM

812 posts, read 2,079,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSouthDakota View Post
Extremely wrong, i refuse to let my daughter watch that filth! She will watch the cartoons i grew up on, tom and jerry,bugs bunny,looney toons, not this politically correct garbage we have now a days.
and those cartoons were violent and made it petty. it made getting run over and dropping off of cliffs, being hit and hitting fun and acceptable. especially if it was someone else. laugh at another's expense, make fun. objectify. oh look at that person running around like a crazy person on fire! hahahaha...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 AM

um, i don't know what american "culture" is. is it baseball and hotdogs? i never really knew honestly. what do white americans think america is?

i don't want to speak spanish because i'm not interested but then i don't care for tacos or burritos. i think its normal to not want influences that you don't identify with.

that's the problem, you have to define what american culture is before you can decide what is acceptable or not.

is it dress, religion, looks, house, how you walk, what you eat?

what is an american? i thnk an american is someone who speaks english and happens to live in america. that's what i see because there is so many different types of people unless you want to consider some mainstream culture american. so..

also, a lot of americans that hold themselves up as the icon of americanism actually hold some very unconstitutional beliefs and opinions. that's the absurdity and reality of it. which means, there are some that are technically more american than those who traditionally may assume they are the "real" americans. and like most people, they are hypocritical regarding the constitution and apply it favorably to themselves and negatively to others they want to marginalize.

just like religion. haha

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
That's like saying "Do you speak Mexican".

No Cantonese? I can cuss in Cantonese
americans speak american. the brits speak english

Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
(1) Preferring violent revenge over the legal system in cases of disputes..

(2) Killing of religious rivals, burning their places of worship, rather than 'accepting' their presence..

(3) Promoting the right of husbands to physically discipline wives, who are seen as 'property'....

(4) Teaching children that the police and government officials are the 'natural enemy' of the people..

(5) Eating of cats and dogs...sex with barnyard animals...

(6) Forced submission of young girls to genital mutilation, because that's 'the way we do it'...

(7) Forced marriage of underage girls to strangers in their 30's....

(8) Ritual 'gang rape' of promiscuous teenage girls to 'put them in their place', and 'teach them purity'.

(9) Cannibalism

These and MANY other things are parts of people's cultures around the world. Some are illegal in MOST places, but this is of little importance, because the very concept of 'illegality' makes little difference in those cultures. Many OTHERS are actually legal, in MANY places.

ALL of these are cultural attributes that would undoubtedly cause MAJOR friction with the 'neighbors', when and if they were introduced into the average American neighborhood.
and hardly any of that is done in america. there are people who just simply don't want to be around, live, or associate with anyone outside of their chosen group. end of story.

you can have the most perfect citizen that minds their own business, works, doesn't commit crime, keeps their home and neighborhood clean and safe and there would still be those who would be prejudice simply because they are the "other" and taking jobs, taking up "their" space, thier country, having access to their education. they simply see it as a "stranger" in their home. they are not white, are not black, are not hispanic etc and vice versa.

it's understandable to some extent but not in america. that's what's bizarre.

it's understandable in europe but not america. that i just can't excuse it. there have been too many different types of people here from the beginning for them to have such an unrealistic attitude.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
um, i don't know what american "culture" is. is it baseball and hotdogs? i never really knew honestly. what do white americans think america is?

i don't want to speak spanish because i'm not interested but then i don't care for tacos or burritos. i think its normal to not want influences that you don't identify with.

that's the problem, you have to define what american culture is before you can decide what is acceptable or not.

is it dress, religion, looks, house, how you walk, what you eat?

what is an american? i thnk an american is someone who speaks english and happens to live in america. that's what i see because there is so many different types of people unless you want to consider some mainstream culture american. so..

also, a lot of americans that hold themselves up as the icon of americanism actually hold some very unconstitutional beliefs and opinions. that's the absurdity and reality of it. which means, there are some that are technically more american than those who traditionally may assume they are the "real" americans. and like most people, they are hypocritical regarding the constitution and apply it favorably to themselves and negatively to others they want to marginalize.

just like religion. haha
Let me put it this way: I visited Europe with my family back in 1973 (age 15) and; despite my father being from Europe (Hungary), I felt little or no kinship with the Euros. It is the 'little' cultural differences that set us apart from one another.

Bottom line: I was sooooooooo grateful to get back on US soil where I felt at 'home'

Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
americans speak american. the brits speak english
Well, technically no.....

There is no such language as "American." Which style of "American" English would be the country's norm? The type of English spoken in the Bronx? The surfer speak of So Cal? The melodic tones of Atlanta, Georgia? The flattened tones of the midwest?

Sorry--it's all English. Our grammatical structures are based upon the King's English. The difference is merely regionally dialectal--from here in the U.S. to those across the pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or