U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Public enemy number one in the war for our children?
Good thing 3 27.27%
Bad thing 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times

Advertisements

If anyone wants to talk about being savage, at points in history the Europeans were savage. It was the Moors of North Africa and the Jews who brought the "learning". Guess who were the "Barbarians with red beards"? The indians were also indeed savages. Remember the Comanches ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
There you go with your argument of the savagery of non-Europeans.
I'm starting to become curious about your actual beliefs. Do you think Europe should take over the world, and bring civilization to all these savages?
Absolutely not. I'm not European anyway. I've never been to Europe, and am unlikely to ever go there. But I'd say its up to each group to bring civilization to itself. It's not something that can be 'brought'. Do you disagree?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,006,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
(1) Preferring violent revenge over the legal system in cases of disputes..

(2) Killing of religious rivals, burning their places of worship, rather than 'accepting' their presence..

(3) Promoting the right of husbands to physically discipline wives, who are seen as 'property'....

(4) Teaching children that the police and government officials are the 'natural enemy' of the people..

(5) Eating of cats and dogs...sex with barnyard animals...

(6) Forced submission of young girls to genital mutilation, because that's 'the way we do it'...

(7) Forced marriage of underage girls to strangers in their 30's....

(8) Ritual 'gang rape' of promiscuous teenage girls to 'put them in their place', and 'teach them purity'.

(9) Cannibalism

These any MANY other things are parts of people's cultures around the world. Some are illegal in MOST places, but this is of little importance, because the very concept of 'illegality' makes little difference in those cultures. Many OTHERS are actually legal, in MANY places.

ALL of these are cultural attributes that would undoubtedly cause MAJOR friction with the 'neighbors', when and if they were introduced into the average American neighborhood.
Lucky for us our neighbors to the south don't share any of those cultural ideals. Although I know that some of them are afraid of their police force.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. I'm not European anyway. I've never been to Europe, and am unlikely to ever go there. But I'd say its up to each group to bring civilization to itself. It's not something that can be 'brought'. Do you disagree?
I don't.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
If anyone wants to talk about being savage, at points in history the Europeans were savage. It was the Moors of North Africa and the Jews who brought the "learning". Guess who were the "Barbarians with red beards"? The indians were also indeed savages. Remember the Comanches ?
This is a good point, and often comes up in regards to the west's "war on Islam"....but ALL human groups have been guilty of savagery in the PAST. That's a huge difference with continuing to behave as savages TODAY. It's like the difference between a 'clean' ex-drug addict, and an 'active' drug addict. BIG difference.

What YOU do, and what your GREAT GRANDPARENTS did, are two VERY different things.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Lucky for us our neighbors to the south don't share any of those cultural ideals. Although I know that some of them are afraid of their police force.
I was talking more about general open-ended multiculturalism, not specifically our 'next door neighbors'. But my post holds true...if Mexican illegals are "OK", and it's morally wrong to 'stop' them, isn't it EQUALLY wrong to stop anyone ELSE? Food for thought, at least, it seems to me..

Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
This is a good point, and often comes up in regards to the west's "war on Islam"....but ALL human groups have been guilty of savagery in the PAST. That's a huge difference with continuing to behave as savages TODAY. It's like the difference between a 'clean' ex-drug addict, and an 'active' drug addict. BIG difference.

What YOU do, and what your GREAT GRANDPARENTS did, are two VERY different things.
So why does certain people coming to this country equal ethnic war?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
Quote:
The difficult part of all of this is our freedoms. We preach freedom of speech, religion, etc. But at the same time, we want to preserve the English-speaking, Christian religion that this nation was founded with. It's going to become a problem for us at some point I would bet. The very freedoms we feel are vital will cause us the most pain - we can't have it both ways.

Again, I'm all for a common language, but you have to admit, there's a thin line we're playing with here when you take freedoms into consideration.
There also exists the freedom to go back to their home countries if they are unable or unwilling to assimiliate.
So, here you have a country where you can worship who, what, where and how you please - as long as noone is harmed. Here is a country where you can live where, how and with whom you please - as long as noone is harmed. Do you see the trend? If someone decides their dd crossed the line by dating a man not of the families choosing, that family cannot bury her up to her neck, gather all the friends and family around and stone her to death at the local soccer park under the guise of religious or cultural freedom. Doesn't work like that.
On a less extreme example, there are immigrants mostly from sob who tend to live in neighborhoods and surround themselves with spanish only signs and stores. There is no law against that. But are they helping themselves by doing this or are they limiting themselves? And their children? Freedom comes with choices, choices comes with consequences. The father who honor kills his dd chose his cultural beliefs over the laws of his new country -- he goes to prison. An immigrant from mexico, hondorus, guatamala etc.. chooses to live, work and shop with other immigrants thus not learning english and not becoming assimiliated into americas mainstream...hurts himself and his family. Choices.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
So why does certain people coming to this country equal ethnic war?
If you're speaking of Latinos in general or Mexicans specifically, it's not about them coming to this country, it's about them coming to this country BY THE MILLIONS and doing it WITHOUT PERMISSION!

When are you going to see that it's just WRONG!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The difficult part of all of this is our freedoms. We preach freedom of speech, religion, etc. But at the same time, we want to preserve the English-speaking, Christian religion that this nation was founded with. It's going to become a problem for us at some point I would bet. The very freedoms we feel are vital will cause us the most pain - we can't have it both ways.

Again, I'm all for a common language, but you have to admit, there's a thin line we're playing with here when you take freedoms into consideration.
Your post touches on the central conundrum faced by ALL thoughtful people on this very subject...the seemingly intractable problem of running a 'tolerant' society, when 'tolerance', in its truest sense, demands that you "Tolerate the Intolerable"...Exactly !....How do you 'include" people who don't want to include YOU?....how do you extend 'equal rights' to those who don't advocate equal rights for anyone but themselves?....How do you practice 'friendly, non-violent acceptance' for those who are NOT friendly, and ARE violent, and are NOT 'accepting'?

The answer, of course, is you can't. Even the most tolerant, open society must, at some point, draw a line and say, "Most things we'll tolerate...but THESE things we WON'T". Otherwise, our 'tolerant' society will no longer exist, and tolerance or intolerance will become a 'moot point'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or