Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
UMMMMM!! I don't believe I mentioned illegals in my post!! You must have MONEY not, too many single people can afford $900.00 a month and yes, I do know Tahoe must be why people moved back to the Sacramento area when they couldn't afford Tahoe. The cost of living is high. But, what would people who can afford to live in San Fransico know.
For the most part the resorts import immigrants in and supply them with housing so, that they do have low wage and plenty of workers. I live in a resort town that is building now and see how they are getting the job done fast and cheap.
If the shoe fits wear it!!!
Most single people and kids starting out would find it hard to make a living in parts of California.
First of all, I shared that house with 2 other girls, so my share was only $300/mo... hardly a fortune. I'm not poor by any stretch, but that's due to my hard work & education. I've had my share of minimum-wage jobs, as mentioned in my last post, so it's not like I magically got a high salary from nowhere. And FYI, I recently accepted a job in San Francisco which pays very well, but I still won't be able to afford anything nice in the city itself - so what makes you assume I can? My location says "Bay Area", not "San Francisco"! Anyway, it shouldn't matter what my financial status is, because the point remains the same... you're scapegoating people without any basis, which is unfair. And yeah, you may not have mentioned illegals in that post, but we all know your opinions on that.

P.S. I'm also single, as are many of my friends who manage to live around here... and I currently pay $900/mo in rent by myself, so yes plenty of single people can afford that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, I shared that house with 2 other girls, so my share was only $300/mo... hardly a fortune. I'm not poor by any stretch, but that's due to my hard work & education. I've had my share of minimum-wage jobs, as mentioned in my last post, so it's not like I magically got a high salary from nowhere. And FYI, I recently accepted a job in San Francisco which pays very well, but I still won't be able to afford anything nice in the city itself - so what makes you assume I can? My location says "Bay Area", not "San Francisco"! Anyway, it shouldn't matter what my financial status is, because the point remains the same... you're scapegoating people without any basis, which is unfair. And yeah, you may not have mentioned illegals in that post, but we all know your opinions on that.

P.S. I'm also single, as are many of my friends who manage to live around here... and I currently pay $900/mo in rent by myself, so yes plenty of single people can afford that!
This has nothing to do with an argument, but..

I wish I lived in an apartment with 2 ladies! TEE-HEE!

Okay everyone can go back to arguing now. lol.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
UMMMMM!! I don't believe I mentioned illegals in my post!! You must have MONEY not, too many single people can afford $900.00 a month and yes, I do know Tahoe must be why people moved back to the Sacramento area when they couldn't afford Tahoe. The cost of living is high.
Oh yeah, and most parts of Sacramento are still more expensive than Lake Tahoe... maybe not Incline Village, but South Lake & Truckee are still pretty cheap. Do you live in Northern California?? If not, what makes you think you know more than a local? I've been here since 1983, so I know perfectly well what things cost around here...

Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
This has nothing to do with an argument, but..

I wish I lived in an apartment with 2 ladies! TEE-HEE!

Okay everyone can go back to arguing now. lol.
LOL... well, since I'm a straight woman, it really wasn't that exciting. But just to humor you, we had pillow fights in our PJ's every night....

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
LOL... well, since I'm a straight woman, it really wasn't that exciting. But just to humor you, we had pillow fights in our PJ's every night....
AWWWW MANNN!!!! lol.

Gosh I need to move. lol.

I'm done butting in! Until I see more posts like that! lol! JK!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
AWWWW MANNN!!!! lol.

Gosh I need to move. lol.

I'm done butting in! Until I see more posts like that! lol! JK!
Go ahead and butt in all you'd like... this discussion is pointless anyway, and exactly the reason I try to avoid this part of the forum (unsuccessfully sometimes ).

Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Quote:
but South Lake & Truckee are still pretty cheap. Do you live in Northern California?? If not, what makes you think you know more than a local? I've been here since 1983, so I know perfectly well what things cost around here...
Uh oh,, best check Truckee Real Estate prices before posting.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and butt in all you'd like... this discussion is pointless anyway, and exactly the reason I try to avoid this part of the forum (unsuccessfully sometimes ).
haha, oh well, everyone should say their part!

Even if it does make people like me lose their train of thought, because what's better than a house full of ladies!

Well. Me living in a house full of ladies...

Dang that Hugh Hefner...

Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM

63 posts, read 149,485 times
we in this country want lower prices for everything we by, wal- marts, when you ask for lower prices you must and will be paid a lower wage, therefore employers are looking to find people that will work for less money. illegals will work for less and can afford to work for less because when you have 20 or 30 living in the same house it dont take a lot to servive. truckers can not deliver goods into mexico because their government will not allow it, they on the other hand can come up here with trucks that are one tire blow-out from being in a salvage yard. the motoring public of this country should be scared to death to be on the roads with these trucks. seems kind of sad to me that a bunch of lawyers sued a tire manufacture for "defective tires" that killed a few people when there are millions of families out there at risk from mexican trucking industry

Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
PrairieHog, you said it!! WHen I take my 2 boys out every day, I'm afraid to get hit by these people, who carry no insurance, no drivers license, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration