U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I looked it up 2 years ago and found ALL their statistics. I can't find them now, but what I've said is true, about 90% of arrests at ALL borders are Mexican nationals.
I'll believe you when I see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:40 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I'll believe you when I see it
I don't care WHAT you believe, go find it for yourself.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 PM

TIP: When ever you provide factual data, actually provide a credible source.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The Internet is full of appeals calling for loosened immigration from Haiti. The country is in chaos and with the damage from the last few hurricanes we need to allow a significant number of Haitians to come to America.

Would you support significantly increasing immigration from Haiti?
No. Haiti needs it's people to rebuild from the Hurricanes and to build the kind of country they can live in.

I think the people of Haiti need to look at a country like Barbados which actually has the 3rd highest standard of living in the Western hemisphere. The people of Barbados don't make their race an excuse, they have high literacy rates and low crime rates.

Immigration to the USA should be reserved only for those people who desire to be American in language and culture and attitude. We're not the flop house of the world, we can't take in over 2 billion people simply because they're impoverished. At some point, other countries have to be made liveable.

Now a Haitian who learns English, learns useful job skills, and accepts there must be a legal process to immigrate here simply because there are so many throughout the world who wish to come here, may make a very great American.

That's why immigration should not be too heavy from just one nation, it should be fair and orderly and balanced, someone from Haiti should have as much chance as someone from another country in similar straits. Massive family chain migration for that reason is unfair. Too many immigrants brought in by extended family members are coming because they want a USA taxpayer subsidized retirement and are not worthy in their own right.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 PM

What happens when all the Haitians leave Haiti and come to America? Haiti becomes a ghost town. Conditions in that country would get even worse.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
TIP: When ever you provide factual data, actually provide a credible source.
Practice what you preach, HYPOCRITE!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Practice what you preach, HYPOCRITE!
Again with the labeling? When does this madness end! . I do provide sources thank you very much

Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No. Haiti needs it's people to rebuild from the Hurricanes and to build the kind of country they can live in.

I think the people of Haiti need to look at a country like Barbados which actually has the 3rd highest standard of living in the Western hemisphere. The people of Barbados don't make their race an excuse, they have high literacy rates and low crime rates.
And how about this for Bermuda

Quote:
March 12, 2007. Government announced that newly-arrived foreign workers will soon have to pass an English test or face being booted out, Labour and Immigration Minister Derrick Burgess has revealed. The test will apply to foreigners from non-English speaking countries. He told the House of Assembly on Friday: "You have heard the Bermudians in the news media, on talk radio and in this very House complaining of their experience, in restaurants in particular, when they have encountered a non-Bermudian waiter who cannot speak enough English to take their order and they end up getting a dish that they did not order. This does not bode well for our tourist industry. "Another downside to the language barrier is that persons cannot assimilate into our society and learn our culture when they cannot speak our language. This then causes conflict between Bermudians and non-Bermudians in the workplace." Mr. Burgess said he understood the challenges employers faced in recruiting from English-speaking countries. But he added: "It is unacceptable to have foreigners serving persons, whether it is in a restaurant, a hotel or a rest home, who cannot communicate effectively in English." And he said it was dangerous in a job where the employee has to also read prescriptions or the labels of dangerous chemicals. "Therefore I will be introducing a policy where work permits for persons from countries where English is not the primary language will only be approved subject to that person demonstrating to the Department of Immigration that he or she has a working knowledge of the English language." Once that person arrives they will be required to attend the Department to take a short test to demonstrate they understand English. "If he or she does not pass the test, the work permit will be withdrawn." The new policy could prove costly for employers who got it wrong, admitted Mr. Burgess. But he added: "I can assure employers we will work with their representative organizations to identify the job categories where speaking English is necessary and arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution. [SIZE=2]"But, ultimately, the onus is on the employer to ensure the persons they hire and bring to Bermuda can speak English."[/
Bermuda Work Permits for Employment of all non-citizens

Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I wish the US had similar policies...

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
And I am waiting for some 'minority' to try to pull the race card in Bermuda-----------being that Bermuda is majority Black, said minority would be laughed it.

Quote:
Non Bermudians (non nationals) include

* Any person born in Bermuda but with neither parent being Bermudian by birth or status. Illegitimate children born outside Bermuda with American or other non-Bermudian mothers, or of American military men or Bermudian men not in Bermuda.
* A person born in Bermuda without a parent having been born here as well and who never got status.
* Any person not on The Bermuda Status by Grant or Register list under The Bermuda Status by Birth or Register Act 1992.
* Someone born in Bermuda but whose father was based in Bermuda because he was in the military forces of Canada or United Kingdom or USA or any other country outside Bermuda
* Someone not born in Bermuda who acquired Bermuda Status by residence but lost it by residing overseas for beyond the maximum stipulated period and does not appear on the current Bermuda Voters List with a bona fide local residence.
* All foreign born spouses of Bermudians who do not have Bermuda Status because they are not yet deemed to be entitled to it under Bermuda law. (To qualify, this includes constant domicile in Bermuda, being of good character and law-abiding, being non-controversial, living constantly for at least 10 years with the same Bermudian spouse, his or per permission in writing, and having an application published in the newspapers showing the applicants, full name and address.
* All foreign born or Bermuda-born children or stepchildren of non-Bermudians who may be of sterling character and may have been residing and domiciled in Bermuda for 30 or more years but do not have Bermuda Status because they are not deemed to be entitled to it under Bermuda law.
* Otherwise, citizenship opportunities for newly arriving non-Bermudians are zero unless they marry and live constantly in Bermuda in a marital union with that same Bermudian and wait at least 10 years.
Talk about hard core rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or