U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I wish the US had similar policies...
Why not right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
I dont know about increased immigration, but I think we should work with the UN to increase aid to Haiti.
Its terrible that we have people living like that in our neck of the woods.
People there are relying on eating clay just to ease their hunger.
Theres problems all over the world, but Haiti is very close to us.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont know about increased immigration, but I think we should work with the UN to increase aid to Haiti.
That I am with you there..............

Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Bermuda Attempts to Put Brakes On Illegal Immigration

Quote:
AP, Jan. 3, 2007
Foreigners who overstay their visas in Bermuda will soon become wanted fugitives, as the wealthy enclave adopts new measures to capture and deport them amid growing public anger over illegal immigration.
The Immigration Ministry has announced it will begin sharing photos of visa violators with a local anti-crime group, which will post the images on the Internet and publicize rewards for their capture.

“Anybody who overstays their time is a problem as far as we are concerned because of the importance we attach to the adherence to the law,” said Robert Horton, the administrative head of the Immigration Ministry in the British territory.

Crime Stoppers Bermuda said that within days it will publish the first photos, of two Jamaican construction workers, on a Web site that will also feature suspects for other criminal offenses.
The group, which is supported by private donations, said it would pay rewards of up to $1,000 to anyone who provides information leading to the capture of the illegal immigrants. Those who provide the tips can remain anonymous, said the group’s chairman, Sean Pitcher.
{snip}
The government is also considering other measures against illegal immigration, including greater penalties for those caught employing or sheltering them.
Undocumented residents make up a tiny fraction of Bermuda’s 65,000 people, but there have been increased complaints that illegal workers have become a drain on public resources and are taking jobs, especially in the construction sector.
{snip}
Bermuda, a chain of tiny Atlantic Ocean islands 640 miles east of the U.S., is one of the wealthiest places in the world.
ImmigrateUSA.us - World News: Bermuda Attempts to Put Brakes On Illegal Immigration (http://www.immigrateusa.us/content/view/587/69/ - broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Are you kidding?!

Yeah, because what we need are MORE poor people to be "settled" in the US.

Then we can look at studies showing a widening gap between rich and poor and say, "Oh my god! Why are the numbers of poor people rising? Why are the rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer?!"

Look, I live very close to an area with a lot of Haitian immigration. Most are hardworking people, but there is a contingent that has turned areas of the sleepy little beach town of Lake Worth into a third world hellhole plagued by Haitian gang activity and crime. So much so, that OTHER Haitian families are fleeing the area to escape it into other parts of Florida.

Instead of "re-settling" the Haitians, why don't we just take over the damn Island and administer it? It's amazing the difference between the Dominican Republic, on one side of Hispanola, and Haiti, on the other. The difference is a result of the people in charge.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What century are we living in? You forget about the people who come here that come from wealthy families.
People from wealthy families rarely come here illegally.

Remember, according to your own ideology, "They're just coming here to work and support their families..." <insert pathetic sob here>.

As far as increased immigration from Haiti is concerned, while I feel for the people there who are suffering, my heart also goes out to the populace of the other poorest countries in the world. How many huddled masses is the U.S.A. supposed to care for? How many more poor and wretched can we accept before we are completely overwhelmed and unable to care for ourselves? I think we're getting pretty close to the breaking point.

However, I think that the AngryTaxPayer had a reasonable suggestion. I'd rather accept grateful Haitians, whose country is among the top ten poorest in the world, and who would likely be thrilled to assimilate and become Americans than ungrateful illegal aliens from anywhere else who feel that they have the right to invade, set up residence, and refuse to become a part of this country.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
How in the World should it matter how close or far they are from the US? The only thing we should be doing with these Countries is dropping shipments of birth control. Better yet, let's invent a pill that causes sterilization so that these Countries can stabilize their populations. These Countries breed like lemmings.
The rest should be handled by agencies like the Red Cross, ie volunteered money vs ripping it out of our wallets via taxes.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
That's a smart policy. Bermuda will gain, we will become more and more fragmented a society.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How in the World should it matter how close or far they are from the US? The only thing we should be doing with these Countries is dropping shipments of birth control. Better yet, let's invent a pill that causes sterilization so that these Countries can stabilize their populations. These Countries breed like lemmings.
The rest should be handled by agencies like the Red Cross, ie volunteered money vs ripping it out of our wallets via taxes.

Unfortunately I think that's true. You don't need a lot of brains to figure out if you're starving to death and feeding your children clay to stave off hunger pains, that it might not be the best time to bring more children into the world.

That's why many of the third world country's problems are cultural, people don't have children because they want to raise them with love and provide for them, they have them to prove their manliness, or to hold onto a man or whatever other reason you'd have children you have no way to feed.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Are you kidding?!

Yeah, because what we need are MORE poor people to be "settled" in the US.

Then we can look at studies showing a widening gap between rich and poor and say, "Oh my god! Why are the numbers of poor people rising? Why are the rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer?!"

Look, I live very close to an area with a lot of Haitian immigration. Most are hardworking people, but there is a contingent that has turned areas of the sleepy little beach town of Lake Worth into a third world hellhole plagued by Haitian gang activity and crime. So much so, that OTHER Haitian families are fleeing the area to escape it into other parts of Florida.

Instead of "re-settling" the Haitians, why don't we just take over the damn Island and administer it? It's amazing the difference between the Dominican Republic, on one side of Hispanola, and Haiti, on the other. The difference is a result of the people in charge.

That's too often the case -- and face it -- the ones we would want to bring here are the very people their own countries should be trying to keep.

Brain drains are a big problem to the third world, how can you develop when your best minds are being lured away?

We should want to bring stability and prosperity to more countries than just our own. It's not helpful to us to take the welfare classes of the third world, but it's also not helpful to take all their best potential out either. We simply cannot hold the entire world's population in the USA so it's time to realize that there needs to be other countries for people to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or