U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, it is new. The opposition today is not directed at legal immigrants, or even a million illegal aliens. The growing opposition is to MASSIVE illegal immigration -- people who have NO legal right to be here -- people who are not entitled to the same rights and privileges as legal citizens. We have never in the history of this country had 20-30 million people residing in this country in violation of our immigration laws. You must understand this IS a new phenomenon.

It is still an apples to oranges comparison. Let's say you're having a dinner party and invited 50 guests. Would you feel obligated to provide food for 10 interlopers who happened to be in the neighborhood, heard music, saw lots of cars, so decided to join the festivities? That’s precisely what the citizens of this country are expected to do. We’re not only expected to welcome the 10 strangers into our house, but to arrange for the caterer to provide 10 additional meals and everything that entails.
no we have never had this many people in the history of the US, but we have never had this FEW immigrants in comparison to the larger population. at the turn of the century immigrants were a very large percentage of this country. moreso than now. so we have seen this before.
back then they were also seen as a drain on the economy and the solution was not very different from now. send them back on the boat they came.

this is not new guys.
everything you guys say has already been said. about the irish. about the italians. about the chinese.

they dont want to speak english.
they dress funny.
they are forcing their customs on us.
they have too many babies.

its all recylced.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
You forgot to mention that they would be demanding their own songs from the dj and pushing you out of the house and into the garage to make room for their next 200 of kin.

wow this thread is getting just blatantly rascist, im going to have the moderator shut it down, its ridiculous, what you gys are allowed to say in the immigration post!
Why are you quoting my post and using the word rascist[sic]? What did I say that specifically offends any race at all? Now that's ridiculous - your cockamamie allegations.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no we have never had this many people in the history of the US, but we have never had this FEW immigrants in comparison to the larger population.

its all recylced.
Sorry, but this is not true at ALL. While a FEW times in history we've had lots of immigrants (like in 1777, when every citizen over the age of ONE was an immigrant...AND, as you say, around the turn of the (previous) century, when 1/4 the population of New York City was foreign-born, I think you'll find we've now reached the point that we have FAR more immigrants, in number AND by 'percentage', than at just about any time in history...and now, we're in a high-tech society that's hard pressed to put people to work in manual-labor jobs...AND at a time (now) when the social pressure to 'assimilate' is largely a thing of the past.

Whereas before it was "come, seek your citizenship, abide by the rules, assimilate, and 'fit in', or suffer the scorn of your fellow citizens", today the message is more like "Come one, come all, it's all here for the 'taking'. Don't let ANYONE tell you to 'change', unless you want to. Don't feel that being a 'citizen' is important either..just SHOW UP...and don't worry about 'doing anything' for US....the idea is that WE are here to do things for YOU...WELCOME ABOARD !"....

It's just a LITTLE bit different now, than it was during previous periods of high immigration.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Quote:
no we have never had this many people in the history of the US, but we have never had this FEW immigrants in comparison to the larger population. at the turn of the century immigrants were a very large percentage of this country. moreso than now. so we have seen this before.
back then they were also seen as a drain on the economy and the solution was not very different from now. send them back on the boat they came.

this is not new guys.
everything you guys say has already been said. about the irish. about the italians. about the chinese.

they dress funny.

its all recylced.
Recycled but true and that seems to be what scares you so much. For some reason you do not like the truth.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:

this is not new guys.

its all recylced.
I have to disagree with you. We had many immigrants 'back then' because we needed more people to help 'build' our nation. Our needs have changed. I repeat, we have never in the history of this country had 20-30 million ILLEGAL ALIENS. We do not need to become more tolerant of people who should not be here.

Furthermore, the previous immigrants did not receive WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, etc. They also did not receive ‘free’ prenatal/postnatal care. They were not a “drain” on society, as illegals are today. They had to work to earn a living.

You keep comparing legal immigrants to illegal aliens. They are not the same.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have to disagree with you. We had many immigrants 'back then' because we needed more people to help 'build' our nation. Our needs have changed. I repeat, we have never in the history of this country had 20-30 million ILLEGAL ALIENS. We do not need to become more tolerant of people who should not be here.

Furthermore, the previous immigrants did not receive WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, etc. They also did not receive ‘free’ prenatal/postnatal care. They were not a “drain” on society, as illegals are today. They had to work to earn a living.

You keep comparing legal immigrants to illegal aliens. They are not the same.
How right you are. Those immigrants had to work or starve. That is the way it still should be and of course no illegal should be allowed to work in this country at any job.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:09 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:

this is not new guys.

they dress funny.

its all recylced.
The pillaging of tax payer funded social services is unprecedented. If you can't see it please take a ride to the local wic, ER or school. If you still can't see it then you choose to ignore the problem the same way the wife of an alcoholic refuses to admit her old man is a drunk.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
I had to read 6 pages of schlock before I quoted a post and replied. Now, I just don't think I have it in me to go back and find the original post I was going to reply to.

But I will say this...

LEVOW, you sound like almost every other racist La Raza puke I've had the misfortune to peruse on this forum. "We're the best workers!" We're going to be the majority!" You're all RACISTS!"

You sir, are about 6 bricks short of a load...

Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
You forgot to mention that they would be demanding their own songs from the dj and pushing you out of the house and into the garage to make room for their next 200 of kin.

wow this thread is getting just blatantly rascist, im going to have the moderator shut it down, its ridiculous, what you gys are allowed to say in the immigration post!
Who is being 'racist'?

I have no use for illegal immigrants either---------------no matter their race/ethnicity.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The pillaging of tax payer funded social services is unprecedented. If you can't see it please take a ride to the local wic, ER or school. If you still can't see it then you choose to ignore the problem the same way the wife of an alcoholic refuses to admit her old man is a drunk.
Great analogy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration