U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
Reputation: 1788

Advertisements

JDubsmom and Leilani, I am old enough to have witnessed firsthand the terrible segregation days in the Deep South, from visiting my family there in the 1950's. It was the worst aspects of human behavior, and I'm so glad that this nightmare of the past is well behind us all. This country worked very hard to quell centuries of archaic prejudices.

Having seen it firsthand, that's why I'm so appalled at the deja vu of seeing something so similar building here where I live in L.A. There are people who really think that One Race as spelled out by La Raza is superior to all, and not beholden to the laws set out in USA, A.D. 2008. They really think that illegals should be allowed to break all laws, and this mindset governs them here, not our law; furthermore that one subset of foreign national illegals should be granted carte blanche amnesty, instead of doing what every other legal immigrant has accomplished for the last hundred years. And the "gr-ngo" is everyone's natural enemy. Foreign nationals still spit on me (a middle-aged cauacasian female) as I walk by, an American citizen in my own country.

To refute a tired monologue, I am informed who is illegal by the police in their encounters with lawbreakers (Neighborhood Watch participant here, and lots of local crimes reported) and locals themselves. An egregious example to disbelievers: police question me about my next door neighbors. I tell them the parents and children are very nice people, and that their pets are nice as well, so that they won't be wrongly menaced. Police then say that one of their many brothers illegally in this country staying with them is the head of a car thief ring, and have I seen him lately from the following description?

And somewhat news-lite- most citizens here in Los Angeles, born or naturalized, rich or poor, have a, dare I say, somewhat stylish look about them however casual, as it is very, very easy to purchase stylish clothing here really cheaply. I am hoping even people of hispanic descent will back up the following almost-stereotype: a tiny pregnant woman with a huge braid with red yarn, and wearing a Mickey Mouse (TM-Walt Disney Corporation) t-shirt followed by six children, none of whom understanding any English whatsoever, standing in front of me at the market using WICstamps, may not be here legally, but can avail herself of our social services due to the anchor children born here, services that my fellow taxpaying citizens pay for but will never receive, no matter how hard the times.

The stores around my sector of L.A. frequently have no English speakers at all for miles, and that goes for store personnel. No signs with any English. I've given up trying to patronize businesses locally. This reflects a changeover within the last decade and half. Before, it was actually....diverse.

Lastly, no, children of illegals do NOT speak English fluently at least here in L.A. The compatriot teachers of my husband (they all teach in poor districts in Los Angeles, where 70% of the student body will be ESL) make a bad joke that Los Angeles is the place where neither English nor spanish is spoken very well. The accomplishments of a Leilani or Californio and their families would shine like a lighthouse beacon in the public schools of L.A.

 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:30 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
JDubsmom and Leilani, I am old enough to have witnessed firsthand the terrible segregation days in the Deep South, from visiting my family there in the 1950's. It was the worst aspects of human behavior, and I'm so glad that this nightmare of the past is well behind us all. This country worked very hard to quell centuries of archaic prejudices.

Having seen it firsthand, that's why I'm so appalled at the deja vu of seeing something so similar building here where I live in L.A. There are people who really think that One Race as spelled out by La Raza is superior to all, and not beholden to the laws set out in USA, A.D. 2008. They really think that illegals should be allowed to break all laws, and this mindset governs them here, not our law; furthermore that one subset of foreign national illegals should be granted carte blanche amnesty, instead of doing what every other legal immigrant has accomplished for the last hundred years. And the "gr-ngo" is everyone's natural enemy. Foreign nationals still spit on me (a middle-aged cauacasian female) as I walk by, an American citizen in my own country.

To refute a tired monologue, I am informed who is illegal by the police in their encounters with lawbreakers (Neighborhood Watch participant here, and lots of local crimes reported) and locals themselves. An egregious example to disbelievers: police question me about my next door neighbors. I tell them the parents and children are very nice people, and that their pets are nice as well, so that they won't be wrongly menaced. Police then say that one of their many brothers illegally in this country staying with them is the head of a car thief ring, and have I seen him lately from the following description?

And somewhat news-lite- most citizens here in Los Angeles, born or naturalized, rich or poor, have a, dare I say, somewhat stylish look about them however casual, as it is very, very easy to purchase stylish clothing here really cheaply. I am hoping even people of hispanic descent will back up the following almost-stereotype: a tiny pregnant woman with a huge braid with red yarn, and wearing a Mickey Mouse (TM-Walt Disney Corporation) t-shirt followed by six children, none of whom understanding any English whatsoever, standing in front of me at the market using WICstamps, may not be here legally, but can avail herself of our social services due to the anchor children born here, services that my fellow taxpaying citizens pay for but will never receive, no matter how hard the times.

The stores around my sector of L.A. frequently have no English speakers at all for miles, and that goes for store personnel. No signs with any English. I've given up trying to patronize businesses locally. This reflects a changeover within the last decade and half. Before, it was actually....diverse.

Lastly, no, children of illegals do NOT speak English fluently at least here in L.A. The compatriot teachers of my husband (they all teach in poor districts in Los Angeles, where 70% of the student body will be ESL) make a bad joke that Los Angeles is the place where neither English nor spanish is spoken very well. The accomplishments of a Leilani or Californio and their families would shine like a lighthouse beacon in the public schools of L.A.
Wow, I can only imagine what it must have been like for you in the deep south and the 50's to boot. I grew up in Chicago and to this day it is one of the most racist cities in America. While the current Mayor Daley is nowhere near as ethnically driven as his dad, the city is still very much a racially segregated/polarized enclave. I left there more than 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

I am fortunate that I do not live in an area populated by illegal aliens, however, it does not make me immune to sympathizing with people who tell stories such as yours.

I do agree with you that the LaRaza's, LuLac's, etc. have deliberately made this issue one of the superior ethnicity (aka hispanics) vs. Americans of all colors. Unfortunately, a large segment of that population has bought into the brainwashing tactics courtesy of our tax dollars. Then we have many in our government and corporate America forcing us to deal with this invasion. I, like you have plenty of anger to go around for those who are profitting from the misery of others at the expense of the demise of our country and our way of life.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Mexifornia, formerly California
31 posts, read 51,169 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Having seen it firsthand, that's why I'm so appalled at the deja vu of seeing something so similar building here where I live in L.A. There are people who really think that One Race as spelled out by La Raza is superior to all, and not beholden to the laws set out in USA, A.D. 2008. They really think that illegals should be allowed to break all laws, and this mindset governs them here, not our law; furthermore that one subset of foreign national illegals should be granted carte blanche amnesty, instead of doing what every other legal immigrant has accomplished for the last hundred years. And the "gr-ngo" is everyone's natural enemy. Foreign nationals still spit on me (a middle-aged cauacasian female) as I walk by, an American citizen in my own country.
That's one of the main reasons I left L.A. many years ago, I didn't want my kids growing up in that environment. Saved, Saved and saved and moved to a place in CA where the median home price was so high that you had a lot less problems like that. It's seems the higher the home prices and cost of living in certain areas, the less of the "La Raza is superior to all" type of people you have, thank god.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Whether you believe it or not for me and the majority of us who side against illegal immigration this is not about race. I don't see people in technicolor. I see good and bad, right and wrong.

I am very close to an American family of Mexican descent. Their oldest son and my son have been best friends since the 3rd grade, both are now in college. All 5 of their kids are my kids. My son is their son and we are a close knit family who participate and celebrate the events in each others' lives. I have friends and family of all races, some are biological family some aren't.

I dont think the illegal immigration issue is about race to everyone, but you yourself have made statements that would make someone think otherwise about you.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
That's one of the main reasons I left L.A. many years ago, I didn't want my kids growing up in that environment. Saved, Saved and saved and moved to a place in CA where the median home price was so high that you had a lot less problems like that. It's seems the higher the home prices and cost of living in certain areas, the less of the "La Raza is superior to all" type of people you have, thank god.
Quite the oxymoron isn't it? Some of us can escape living amongst those who have invaded this country illegally by paying with dollars, while those less fortunate pay with their lives.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
As a hispanic woman, i find this post offensive.

"More kids than they can afford and refuse to speak English." I beg your pardon!

I'm college educated, extremely hard working and the main language spoken in my home is English.
Then why are you so upset about the statements? I am Latino also and it doesn't bother me since I know it has nothing to do with me or my family.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
That's one of the main reasons I left L.A. many years ago, I didn't want my kids growing up in that environment. Saved, Saved and saved and moved to a place in CA where the median home price was so high that you had a lot less problems like that. It's seems the higher the home prices and cost of living in certain areas, the less of the "La Raza is superior to all" type of people you have, thank god.
And exactly the main reason I am moving my family out of the state of CA. I want my children to actually get an education and to be able to be around Americans.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont think the illegal immigration issue is about race to everyone, but you yourself have made statements that would make someone think otherwise about you.
I have to disagree with that. You all have chips on your shoulders and have become defensive and assume that I am racist because the majority of articles that I post are incriminating towards Mexicans. You all tend to associate yourselves with every member of your race. Sorry, but it is not my fault that you think in enclaves.

Notice I never get defensive and start raving at anyone (especially those in your group) who posts negative things about Blacks? Want to know why? Because I am an individual with my own identity beyond my race and ethnicity. Unlike you all I AM NOT my race and I will never let anyone lump me into an racial enclave.

I defy you to find one post attributed to me where I clearly state all ______________ are whatever.

I guarantee you won't find it because I've never said it. It's your perceptions of what I say that all of you feel justifies your accusations.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I have to disagree with that. You all have chips on your shoulders and have become defensive and assume that I am racist because the majority of articles that I post are incriminating towards Mexicans. I defy you to find one post attributed to me where I clearly state all ______________ are whatever.

I guarantee you won't find it because I've never said it. It's your perceptions of what I say that all of you feel justifies your accusations.
Racism seems to be a talking point. I guess that they didn't get the point that they are not a race. Mexican is a nationality.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I have to disagree with that. You all have chips on your shoulders and have become defensive and assume that I am racist because the majority of articles that I post are incriminating towards Mexicans. You all tend to associate yourselves with every member of your race. Sorry, but it is not my fault that you think in enclaves.

Notice I never get defensive and start raving at anyone (especially those in your group) who posts negative things about Blacks? Gues why that is? Because I am NOT my race and I will never let anyone lump me into an racial enclave.

I defy you to find one post attributed to me where I clearly state all ______________ are whatever.

I guarantee you won't find it because I've never said it. It's your perceptions of what I say that all of you feel justifies your accusations.

You post articles that make a point about crime because of illegal immigration, and thats okay.
But to blame it on Hispanic culture is insulting to the vast majority of Hispanics not committing crimes!

Crimes come in every race! No race more than others.
But the only difference is that certain races live in more poverty than others, and that leads to more crime.

I would never suggest the fact that Blacks commit the most crime in this country is because of African-American culture, or because of their race.
It's very offensive!


Crime Rates

* Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
* When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
* Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
* The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Source: FBI


How can you make those generalizations with the real information like this floating around?
If you say that about Mexicans, what does it say about Blacks?


I agree that crimes committed by illegals should never happen in this country, but to blame it on race or ethnicity is WRONG, and you should know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top