U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,638,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
It doesn't upset me, it offends me.

I've worked extremely hard to get to where i am today. People tend to generalize and type-cast hispanics as a whole. I just happen to have an extremely strong opinion as all. I reside in a community with a heavy latino population and we're often looked down upon.
It IS sad and I feel your frustration. However, "typecasting" of Hispanics and many OTHER groups occurs at many levels...some of them within the 'community' itself.

I think it's pretty obvious that nearly ALL political leaders these days are reluctant to openly discuss illegal immigration...(I can't think of any who do). And it's pretty obvious that MUCH of this is because they're "pandering to the Hispanic community". What this REALLY means is that these politicians are "afraid" of angering Hispanics....and if they're "afraid" of Hispanic anger, it's obvious that they're thinking about LEGAL Hispanic-Americans. (They CAN'T be afraid of illegals..because illegals have no vote).

So WHY are these American politicians so concerned about "angering Hispanics" by criticizing illegal immigrants? It can only be because In their minds, ALL HISPANICS..including LEGAL, VOTING HISPANIC-AMERICANS...are ASSUMED to be 'in sympathy' with ILLEGALS..and that an 'attack on illegals' will be seen as an "attack on Hispanics and, SADLY, these politicians MAY be correct. Such a position COULD cost them some of "the Hispanic vote", and they have the 'studies' to prove it.

I share your frustration. I have MANY Hispanic relatives and family...almost NONE of whom are in favor of illegal immigration....but try telling this to "our" politicians.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,066,638 times
The reason we get upset, is because out grandparents or parents at 1 point were all illegals, just like the rest of america!!! The majority of these people, are just trying to feed their families, we are the hardest working people out there!!!! Who do you think is doing the majority of the work in New Orleans!!!The biggest problem i have, is why only us? Why does everybody only have a problem with hispanic/mexican immigrants, what about puerto ricans, chinese, germans, japanese, cubans, cubans can just catch a boat, step on american land, and bam!!!!their us citizens, how fair is that!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,948,476 times
Rest of America?Most immigration to this country in the past required a screening..
Process,Family sponsorship,etc My ancestors werent Illegal.
I dont any know any illegal germans,last time i called customer service i didnt hear..
Please press 2 for german.Cubans shouldnt be given automatic citizenship. Just because we had large numbers of immigrants in the past doesnt mean we HAVE to keep doing so.Thats what Illegals dont get!!You are not entitled to..
Citizenship,Healthcare,Benefits..You are entitled to nada! We should decide who gets in...
If our government wasnt looking the either way!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM

327 posts, read 670,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
The reason we get upset, is because out grandparents or parents at 1 point were all illegals, just like the rest of america!!! The majority of these people, are just trying to feed their families, we are the hardest working people out there!!!! Who do you think is doing the majority of the work in New Orleans!!!The biggest problem i have, is why only us? Why does everybody only have a problem with hispanic/mexican immigrants, what about puerto ricans, chinese, germans, japanese, cubans, cubans can just catch a boat, step on american land, and bam!!!!their us citizens, how fair is that!
You'd better be careful using common sense in the immigration section of this forum.

Don't you know? If you're not foaming at the mouth with anger and hatred towards a bunch of poor [mainly] Mexicans, you won't fit in.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Since when did it become cool or politically correct to "diss" and "dismiss" all hispanic illegals, if the things that are said about my race would be said about blacks, their would be a major uproar, all across the u.s., sort of what happened with the don imus situation! Long story short, like it or not, we are going to become the majority, so might as well get used to it!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM

32,936 posts, read 30,188,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
It doesn't upset me, it offends me.

I've worked extremely hard to get to where i am today. People tend to generalize and type-cast hispanics as a whole. I just happen to have an extremely strong opinion as all. I reside in a community with a heavy latino population and we're often looked down upon.

First, you have to understand why so many people have that opinion. In a large part of the Country the only Hispanics people have contact with are Illegal Immigrants. This portion of the population lives quite differently than Americans that are Latino. Pretty much their only link is that they are all Hispanic. I lived around a part of this peasant population as a kid for about 10 years before I moved to a larger City. Some of my best friends were/are Hispanic and even they looked at these migrant workers with disgust while I was in Junior High and High School. They lived in the abandoned houses in the area with no running water, electricity or toilets while they worked in the fields removing weeds. The kids didn't go to school but just lived in the abandoned houses with the Mother who stayed home in most cases with a large number of them. We didn't view it in shock or pity but disgust. If something came up missing most of the time the Sheriffs knew where it would be. At night you would see them sitting around campfires getting drunk and singing.

So just remember that there are large parts of the Nation that deal with Illegal Immigrants, their behavior and culture. In a lot of cases their only exposure to Hispanics are these Ilegal Aliens. It is what it is. My ex didn't worry about it as she had the same feelings and emotions concerning Illegals as I did even though she is Hispanic.
So, you can either differentiate and not be offended or feel you have close ties to people only because you are the same color. What's it worth?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
You'd better be careful using common sense in the immigration section of this forum.

Don't you know? If you're not foaming at the mouth with anger and hatred towards a bunch of poor [mainly] Mexicans, you won't fit in.

lol ive noticed!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Long story short, like it or not, we are going to become the majority, so might as well get used to it!
Making statements like this do ALL Hispanics a dis-service. You do realize that don't you?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM

i do angry tax payer, but its pretty east to detect everybodys hidden agendas when it comes to his immigration issue, and bottom line, is that, we are going to become the majority and all this b*tching and complaining, is not going to help matters! Everybody treats us, like were not human, like our families are not important as yours, i have the privilidge of living in america, but i guarantee you, if i would have been born in mexico, and had a family to support, i wuld be trying to cross the river too!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i do angry tax payer, but its pretty east to detect everybodys hidden agendas when it comes to his immigration issue, and bottom line, is that, we are going to become the majority and all this b*tching and complaining, is not going to help matters! Everybody treats us, like were not human, like our families are not important as yours, i have the privilege of living in America, but i guarantee you, if i would have been born in Mexico, and had a family to support, i wuld be trying to cross the river too!!!!
You do understand what most people are angry about? The draining of Social Services 1st followed by the dramatic change of culture 2nd.

If there weren't so many I really don't think it would be such a huge deal. As they are desperate to come here Americans have been forced to be just as desperate to keep them out due the problems they have created by their presence. Please understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration