U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,924,028 times

Advertisements

Tougher enforcement turns up heat on illegal immigrants
Sunday, September 7, 2008 1:32 AM
By Jill Riepenhoff and Stephanie Czekalinski

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Doral Chenoweth III | DISPATCH
Maria, an immigrant from El Salvador, lives, drives and works in the shadows of Columbus. Last year, she entered the United States illegally.
Doral Chenoweth III | DISPATCH
Maria, who lives here illegally, works double shifts at a restaurant, earning $3.50 an hour before taxes.
Series: Day 1

The young woman climbed into a van with a man she had paid $6,500 to take her out of El Salvador and smuggle her into the United States.
Destination? Columbus, where her brothers settled a few years ago to work.
Maria's journey began just after immigration reform imploded in Congress.
She crossed undetected in July 2007 and quickly learned that her new way of life is full of contradictions.
She and others working here illegally can pay into Social Security but can't collect benefits if they are disabled, retire or die.
They can collect workers' compensation benefits if they are injured on the job but can't legally work.
They can play the lottery but can't collect jackpots.
They can open a bank account but can't take out a home mortgage without valid identification.
They can buy a car and register it but can't have a driver's license.
"I knew it would be that way before I came," Maria said. "But one comes with the hope that she can find a way to enter the world of opportunities."

The Columbus Dispatch : Backlash in the heartland

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,012,289 times
I dont get the point of this article, or your point in posting it.

The article seems sympathetic to illegals. And your only commentary is an "eye rolling" smiley.
Slow news day?

And the Pew Hispanic Center needs to update their info.
How is 18 million roughly the population of California?

And even I think there might be more illegal immigrants here than 9 million.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont get the point of this article, or your point in posting it.

The article seems sympathetic to illegals. And your only commentary is an "eye rolling" smiley.
Slow news day?

And the Pew Hispanic Center needs to update their info.
How is 18 million roughly the population of California?

And even I think there might be more illegal immigrants here than 9 million.
Gee, here's a suggestion: Stop reading them. See how easy that was? It's not like I email them to you. Frankly, I don't care what you think.

The incessant whining and childish sarcasm doesn't affect me. It merely serves to confirm how immature you really are.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-07-2008 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM

1,417 posts, read 857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Gee, here's a suggestion: Stop reading them. See how easy that was? It's not like I email them to you. Frankly, who cares what you think?

The incessant whining and childish sarcasm doesn't affect me. It merely serves to confirm how immature you really are.
If you're talking about people who don't care what you think listen to this. The Government says: Who cares what you think. In that matter, who cares what I think. If they really cared, they would of vamped up border enforcement. Truth hurts sometimes.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
If you're talking about people who don't care what you think listen to this. The Government says: Who cares what you think. In that matter, who cares what I think. If they really cared, they would of vamped up border enforcement. Truth hurts sometimes.
Go take your Lithium child and stay out of grown folks business.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Go take your Lithium child and stay out of grown folks business.

The old folks had their chance at running the country-- look at what happened. Up to us younger folks to make things right.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,182,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
The old folks had their chance at running the country-- look at what happened. Up to us younger folks to make things right.
Somehow I think you're less qualified Than B.H. Obama...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Somehow I think you're less qualified Than B.H. Obama...
There is absolutely no comparison there.

That's the least of the reasons why californio or any of his ilk are no where near being qualified to do anything beyond volunteering to bag groceries.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM

You think your insults are hurting my feelings Jorge?Hah! Think again!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,706,675 times
9 million living illegaly in USA is a complete 100% total lie.

That is not even the tip of the iceberg .
Yrs ago Hispanic media with pride said over 25 million and that was yrs ago. It has increased . Maybe now slight decrease but the increase makes 20 mill look like a joke.

9 mill might be the census report but not the actual numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration