U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,900,435 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

The veteran officer told only a few trusted aides about the tunnel. Later that day, the officers went into the U.S. and traversed the length of the passageway to an empty building, where they found computers, ledgers and other key evidence.

For U.S. authorities, it was an encouraging example of cross-border cooperation in the drug war. For Mexico's crime bosses, it was a police victory that could not go unpunished.

That night last December, while Soriano slept with his wife and baby daughter, two heavily armed men broke into his house and shot him 45 times. The 35-year-old father of three young daughters died in his bedroom. He had lasted two days as the second-in-command of the department.

The death of a police officer is generally greeted in Mexico with a knowing smirk. All too often, it is assumed the cop in question was playing for both sides in the raging drug war that has claimed at least 2,000 lives in Mexico this year.

But all indications, from U.S. and Mexican sources, suggest that Soriano was among the good ones, poorly paid but somehow immune to the lure of big money and the threat of deadly firepower from Mexico's violent drug gangs.


richard.marosi@latimes.com
In Mexico, a police victory against smuggling brings deadly revenge - Los Angeles Times

Wow, my heart goes out to his family. Further proof that Mexico's culture of corruption still reigns supreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times
Reputation: 332
Move this to the Mexico forum with the other one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,900,435 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Move this to the Mexico forum with the other one.
Still stalking me? Who died and made you moderator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Still stalking me? Who died and made you moderator?
Still stalking? Youre making a post in a public forum that I happen to be a member of. In fact, you make hundreds a week, theyre kind of hard to miss. Lets try to stay on topic, huh?
Go ahead and move it before they move it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,787 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The veteran officer told only a few trusted aides about the tunnel. Later that day, the officers went into the U.S. and traversed the length of the passageway to an empty building, where they found computers, ledgers and other key evidence.

For U.S. authorities, it was an encouraging example of cross-border cooperation in the drug war. For Mexico's crime bosses, it was a police victory that could not go unpunished.

That night last December, while Soriano slept with his wife and baby daughter, two heavily armed men broke into his house and shot him 45 times. The 35-year-old father of three young daughters died in his bedroom. He had lasted two days as the second-in-command of the department.

The death of a police officer is generally greeted in Mexico with a knowing smirk. All too often, it is assumed the cop in question was playing for both sides in the raging drug war that has claimed at least 2,000 lives in Mexico this year.

But all indications, from U.S. and Mexican sources, suggest that Soriano was among the good ones, poorly paid but somehow immune to the lure of big money and the threat of deadly firepower from Mexico's violent drug gangs.


richard.marosi@latimes.com
In Mexico, a police victory against smuggling brings deadly revenge - Los Angeles Times

Wow, my heart goes out to his family. Further proof that Mexico's culture of corruption still reigns supreme.
-----------------
There is no room in ANY Latin American country for good ethical police . They usually wind up dead .

Like I said in an old post you do have them but they are looking over their shoulder and live in fear not only of the drug cartels,etc but also of the politician's who get kick backs from the Cartels.

Good police have 2 enemies and both powerfull enemies usually working together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,900,435 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
-----------------
There is no room in ANY Latin American country for good ethical police . They usually wind up dead .

Like I said in an old post you do have them but they are looking over their shoulder and live in fear not only of the drug cartels,etc but also of the politician's who get kick backs from the Cartels.

Good police have 2 enemies and both powerfull enemies usually working together.
I do recall that Luiso. I am happy that you managed to get out and I applaud you for coming here legally.

It's sad isn't it? Yet you have many on this board who deny that culturally embedded corruption, rape and murder is a part of the culture of Mexico and Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,787 times
Reputation: 343
The politically active Mexican American woman that work's at same building told me that Calderon is brilliant. Brilliant at stealing.

He knows that by letting the border drug war go one USA will give him financial aid that he will pocket . While at same time pocketing drug revenue kick back.

He burn's the candle at both ends and in time like all Mexican Pres will leave Mexico and live a lavish retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Still stalking me? Who died and made you moderator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The politically active Mexican American woman that work's at same building told me that Calderon is brilliant. Brilliant at stealing.

He knows that by letting the border drug war go one USA will give him financial aid that he will pocket . While at same time pocketing drug revenue kick back.

He burn's the candle at both ends and in time like all Mexican Pres will leave Mexico and live a lavish retirement.
Hasnt he been effective in completely disrupting the Arellano-Felix organization?
All this violence is a power play because the cartels are really getting shook.
I think Mexico is going to be going through some changes in the coming years. It might get a little crazy before then, but things are changing.

The Mexican people have been taken advantage of for hundreds of years, and theyre getting tired of it. Ive been keeping up on the news, and its pretty evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,912 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I do recall that Luiso. I am happy that you managed to get out and I applaud you for coming here legally.

It's sad isn't it? Yet you have many on this board who deny that culturally embedded corruption, rape and murder is a part of the culture of Mexico and Latin America.
It's sad that many people think that rape and murder is apart of Mexican culture. I'd say the media has done its job with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It's sad that many people think that rape and murder is apart of Mexican culture. I'd say the media has done its job with you.
Its not really people. Its Jdubs moms, and others who are terrified of the illegal immigration.

I think in a mainstream conversation, if you suggested something like that, you'd be laughed out the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top