Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous989 View Post
sorry, seeing as i am indeed an illegal immigrant, english is my second language. </sarcasm>
You're the one telling someone else to go check a dictionary. You just need to cool it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 05:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
Yes, I think a lot work as maids in hotels and picking fruit in the fields. I also believe a lot work in daycare centers that don't have high standards of who they are hiring. They also work as nannies ... a lot! But they get paid under the table and therefore say they don't work.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM

63 posts, read 149,490 times
do they work? of course they work, making lots of more immigrants that our tax dollars are spent to feed, doctor, educate, house in prisions, and then to send back accross the border to be put in the ground of their "mother land". now i dont know about all of you but i do think that our tax money can and should be spent on better things

Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

14 posts, read 5,952 times
Pay less attention to my spelling errors, and please pay more attention to my arguments. I'm not here to be attacked, I am here to express my opinion. Thank you.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I think this is a bit bizaare. Mexicans don't work in the field because they were brought here to take jobs away from Americans. They, like the Japanese and filipinoes before them are doing jobs whites don't want to do. Japanese were brought in at the turn of the century to do field work. Whites did work in the fields but with the onset of WWII the bracero program was instituted, Mexican workers brought in as guest workers. That program ended in 1962, workers were still needed, Whites did not fill the gap, thus the illegals came in, housed and fed at employer expense. The need grew greater, still no guest worker program, and still no whites stepped in. With the unionization of the fields, wages sky rocketed which made the work much more attractive, still no whites stepped in. Mexicans stepped in.

Simple economics, crops to be gathered, workers needed. Check the fields these days, the cars parked alongside the fields are no longer carcachitas but good cars and trucks, the pay is fine, Whites still won't work the fields.

This idea that the illegals work cheaper does not always work. Field work is piece work, you get paid by what you produce, since the Mexicans have a better work ethic, they make more money than a white would working in the fields.

Got a problem with illegals, look at yourself, each time you buy fruit or vegies.
Good post... another example is the Chinese immigrants in the 19th century, who were brought west to build railroad tracks & help the gold miners. That's how our Asian population originally "boomed", and why it's remained a popular place for them to immigrate. I personally thank them for that hard work, and embrace their presence in our current culture.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous989 View Post
Pay less attention to my spelling errors, and please pay more attention to my arguments. I'm not here to be attacked, I am here to express my opinion. Thank you.
Oh believe me I'm reading your posts.

I'm reading all the posts. And so far I can't really put my finger on it, but some of these posts are starting to overlap. And they are beginning to sound like people that were once here arguing, but not now.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good post... another example is the Chinese immigrants in the 19th century, who were brought west to build railroad tracks & help the gold miners. That's how our Asian population originally "boomed", and why it's remained a popular place for them to immigrate. I personally thank them for that hard work, and embrace their presence in our current culture.
The Irish that worked on the railroads.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Since the 'Mexicans have a better work ethic' than we Americans, Mexico must indeed be a sight to behold- neat, tidy houses no matter how humble the dwelling, streets as clean as the streets of Singapore, a powerhouse economy surpassed only by places like Japan and Korea, the belief that hard work pays instilled in Mexican youth from an early age so that they have no desire to join 'gangs' or anything like that. We should be thankful that Mexicans have come here to teach us their ways so that we too can live in a place like Mexico.
I'm curious as to where you live?? I'm currently in a town that's almost 70% Latino (no, I have no clue as to how many are illegal), and most take pride in their homes and surroundings. Our neighborhood might not be Beverly Hills, but it's hardly a cesspool of filth either... the streets are clean enough, there's no grafitti on the buildings, and the homes I've been inside are usually cleaner than my own. Since you're trying to get me to prove opinions, do you have statistics to show how dirty Mexicans are??

P.S. I notice you didn't call them "illegals" or even immigrants... so don't try to pretend you're not prejudiced toward the Mexican people in general.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
The Irish that worked on the railroads.
yep I have family that died building the railroad!!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:59 PM

14 posts, read 5,952 times
But during chinese immigration, it was the same as now, but more extreme. Violence against Chinese immigrants, and the Chinese exclusion act, banning all "useless" Chinese, and the Gentlemen's agreement to limit emigration of the unskilled from Japan to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration