U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
The Irish that worked on the railroads.
Out west, it was mostly Chinese immigrants... (10,000 according to that second article)

http://cprr.org/Museum/Chinese.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/20619/Chinese.html

Not to discount the Irish people's contribution, but we also can't forget the others who helped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm curious as to where you live?? I'm currently in a town that's almost 70% Latino (no, I have no clue as to how many are illegal), and most take pride in their homes and surroundings. Our neighborhood might not be Beverly Hills, but it's hardly a cesspool of filth either... the streets are clean enough, there's no grafitti on the buildings, and the homes I've been inside are usually cleaner than my own. Since you're trying to get me to prove opinions, do you have statistics to show how dirty Mexicans are??

P.S. I notice you didn't call them "illegals" or even immigrants... so don't try to pretend you're not prejudiced toward the Mexican people in general.
Lord I wish I could drive through a latino neighborhood here and find nice. Here they care complete dumps.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:04 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Quote:
Lord I wish I could drive through a latino neighborhood here and find nice. Here they care complete dumps.
Here too. I don't know where everyone lives - I'm In SW Kansas, they're flocking here like roaches, spew their garbage all over the place.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 4,360 times
This topic is turning less from illegal immigrants, and more into blunt racism.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Here too. I don't know where everyone lives - I'm In SW Kansas, they're flocking here like roaches, spew their garbage all over the place.
I am in Phoenix AZ, it isnt just Phoenix but all the surrounding areas as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous989 View Post
This topic is turning less from illegal immigrants, and more into blunt racism.
That happened a long time ago, unfortunately... why do I bother??

Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times
I'm going to make this my last post regarding immigration.

All the new accounts popping up overlapping previous arguments are really making me wonder who is joining up. I never wanted to get involved in this argument for the fact that it's on going, someone will say it's bad here then someone else will say, oh eff you, it's not like that at all.

Well one person can not speak for what others do in the other areas, if it's nice where you live, that's groovy. If it's not nice where you live, that's not groovy. Someone is going to have to tell the ones that are making it bad, "Hey, we like our neighborhood being clean, please do not contribute to littering please." I really don't know. But if it is really going that bad, you have to do something about it, not if it's just anyone specific "group", but if anyone that trashes a neighborhood regardless who they are. I don't like where I live, but we try really hard to keep our little city nice. And when people trash it, that's just not groovy with me. I have the habit of picking up others trash even not knowing what is on it. Or what it was used for.

So anyways, those that are all for more immigration, at least provide a real stance on it, just don't say oh they work hard, or oh they do all the work others don't. We all know that's a box full of poopy poo. Lots of people work hard, and lots of people do the work others don't want to do.

And those are against immigration, don't just say, oh they do this, they join gangs and this, other people join gangs and ruin neighborhoods too.

My main argument with this is, I've been denied student aide every dang year, because I don't qualify. Why? Because they choose to search through the "minorities" first. Thats a load of bs. They need to see who needs it more. Not oh because they are a minority. When it comes to money for schooling, a lot of people are a minority. Not just in ethnic senses.

I'm over and out with this discussion.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM

What exactly are we saying that is racist? We say the same thing about so called white trash neighborhoods. How would you like us to word it so not to offend but still get the point across?

Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 4,360 times
Moreso it was Sammie's post that bothered me. Referring to Latinos as roaches spewing garbage all of the place. If that isn't racist, then I don't know what is.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Like I said, it's no Beverly Hills, but it's not the dump you all describe either! And not to bring blame on another race, but this town used to be mostly black, and it was 100 times worse... crime was ridiculous (it was named "murder capital of the US two years in a row), grafitti was everywhere, and it was much like you all describe when speaking of Latino neighborhoods. In the last 5-10 years, the demographics have changed significantly, and things have actually improved... part of that has to do with government efforts, like building some new businesses, but I also believe it has to do with the shift in people. Once again, I don't want to blame anything on the black population, since there are nice black neighborhoods too - but in this particular town, that's what happened.

Btw, my town's called East Palo Alto, and it's about 30 miles south of San Francisco.... but since I just accepted a job in SF, I'll be moving north soon (after 2 years here). Here you can see a few pictures, and how it's not the most filthy town in the world; fyi, the graffiti you see in that one picture is "commissioned artwork", which has been in place for many years.
http://www.city-data.com/city/East-P...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or