U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18579

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It was your point, you have to prove it. Maybe you should stop writing inflammatory statements. Then you wouldn't have to weasle out of them several posts later.
Oh give me a break... I never stated it as fact, and any intelligent person could see that. I'm a reference librarian, so don't give me any speeches about backing up sources - if there was such a source, I would provide it in a matter of minutes, but there is none. You know why? Because it's not a concept that is possible of being translated into statistics & numbers... how do you suggest one measure the amount of hard work one exerts in a day?? If you know of such a thing, please let me know! Sheesh, it's like arguing with my second-grade students... The fact remains that they do work, and I've seen with my own eyes just how much effort they can put in. Whether or not you believe me has no impact on what I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
 
178 posts, read 680,478 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, if the illegal immigrants were flooding in from, say, Sweden, working for below minimum wage, sucking off our welfare system, and getting free health care, there would be the same reaction. Do you get it yet? It's all about money. More money for business. Less money for working class Americans. With a third of Mexico's inhabitants now living here there is no need to generalize, it's a fact. That they happen to be from Mexico and Central America doesn't matter. The impact illegal aliens have on working class people does matter. So stop with the 'racist' stuff, it's c r a p.

Well, I would just be happier if people were blaming the farmers
who hire them, the landcapers and construction companies
who are making money off of them.. most likely white. Instead
the illegals are all to blame because most of the people in this
forum can't see past that. They aren't smart enough to realize
that the illegals are a symptom of America's greed. If you don't put the
milk out the neighborhood cat won't come to drink it. There .. a simple
analogy anyone can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
Well, I would just be happier if people were blaming the farmers
who hire them, the landcapers and construction companies
who are making money off of them.. most likely white. Instead
the illegals are all to blame because most of the people in this
forum can't see past that. They aren't smart enough to realize
that the illegals are a symptom of America's greed. If you don't put the
milk out the neighborhood cat won't come to drink it. There .. a simple
analogy anyone can understand.
Oh I blame both sides trust me, they are both to blame. The illegals KNOW what they are doing is wrong to americans and they dont care. The employers dont care because they get to keep more profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times
Reputation: 1703
I'm going to do my best to not down play anyone just say my part and be on my way.

First off, I don't know how easy it is to start a business anywhere, but where I live, and it is hard as heck. No one wants to help you, getting a tax license makes no sense here, and worst off, you have to go through so many background checks it's not funny. And no I'm not making this up, I want to start my own, but many people at my government offices don't want to help it's, "Not their job."

Landscaping, construction, and farming, yes they are physically demanding. Many people that would like a job would do them, no one can truly say they are the jobs Americans don't want to do. Go ask the homeless, the soon to be homeless, and so many other Americans that are trying to do what they can to get a job, but they can't because others don't want to pay Americans a livable wage. So what's the easy way out? Hire someone who will work for next to nothing, that'll show them Americans, hire people who will work for so much less. The employers are the reason this is going on. Boycott the employers who think it's okay to do this, then where will they be. SOL. You have to make the penalties much more harsh who think this practice is okay.

And for anyone who thinks I don't know physically demanding, I worked in a brass factory for 2 years, because I was getting money for school, I don't work there now because it was temporary. Everyday I would get brass in my fingers, hands, feet, other parts, not to mention the grease that I would get all over me, then smashing my hands with lead hammers because of pieces that were crooked. Burning my hands on valves that are well over 150 degrees because they have to be checked for defects. And after all that cleaning up all the excess on the floor to make sure my spot was clean. Yes, I know what hard work is. And in the summer, it only amplified the temperature. It got well over 120 degrees back there. So I know exhausting conditions. Would I continue to do it if it was full time? Heck yeah, it might not of paid well, but it was one of the best workouts I ever got! I'm big about exercise. And being a temp, I made 1/3 what the full time employees made, however that wouldn't stop me from doing the job. I did it to prove something to everyone, if you stick to it, anyone can do hard work. After I made it past the first week of getting up at 4 in the morning it was routine and it didn't bother me anymore. That's my only problem is getting up so early for the first couple days, but once I got past that, being up that early was fun.

I know what hard work is, I worked retail and all I got was an angry boss, mad customers, mad co-workers. I would much rather work in a factory than retail.

So far I haven't read it yet, but NO ONE can say Americans don't know what hard work is.

I'm done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Reputation: 16512
la quinta family -

I understand your opinions, but you say the same thing over and over. It's getting monotonous.

I guess you must either have illegal family's members here, or you house them. I don't understand why you're so bent on defending these people over and over with the same statements. It'd old

I know many Americans who struggle every day, they're not able to get assistance, or help.. Also, Most Americans do not shack up with 10 other families in one little house and combine stuff. I live in a town filled with illegals. The town has turned into nothing but a cesspool. Filth everywhere. Loud obnoxious trucks with illegal tires driving by with that HORRIBLE thump, thump from their radios. Gangs, etc.

I think most of the people on this forum are upset because these Illegals come into the country, not all of them are here for the right reasons. They just want to become citizens. Why can't they just abide by the laws, get in LINE WITH EVERYONE ELSE and wait it out. Tough luck it takes forever. If you wan't something bad enough you have to have patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 PM
 
178 posts, read 680,478 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
la quinta family -

I understand your opinions, but you say the same thing over and over. It's getting monotonous.

I guess you must either have illegal family's members here, or you house them. I don't understand why you're so bent on defending these people over and over with the same statements. It'd old

I know many Americans who struggle every day, they're not able to get assistance, or help.. Also, Most Americans do not shack up with 10 other families in one little house and combine stuff. I live in a town filled with illegals. The town has turned into nothing but a cesspool. Filth everywhere. Loud obnoxious trucks with illegal tires driving by with that HORRIBLE thump, thump from their radios. Gangs, etc.

I think most of the people on this forum are upset because these Illegals come into the country, not all of them are here for the right reasons. They just want to become citizens. Why can't they just abide by the laws, get in LINE WITH EVERYONE ELSE and wait it out. Tough luck it takes forever. If you wan't something bad enough you have to have patience.

You got me... I am a big corporate boss and have many illegals working
for me.. excuse me.. una cervasa por fa vor my little hispanics....or
however you Mexicans talk... oh, yeah back to our conversation.
Please don't ruin it for me and other business owners who are bleeding
every ounce of work we can out of the illegals. Quit your bitching or
I might have to hire white folk american's who will want more money and then who would
bring me my beer's and good old taco's plates. If I bore you stop reading
my posts and go out and pick a damn tomatoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 869,846 times
Reputation: 462
[quote=la quinta family;338665]None.. I never said anything about kids getting paid alot of money.
What I'm saying is ...... and my daughter just answered my question
was to her. Where would you rather work... blockbuster or
a job that requires intense physical labor for the same or less pay.
Of course she said Blockbuster...[quote]

Maybe, it's the way you said it!! Rather how would you like to work at block busters or pick strawberries for the summer and we can go swimming when you get off and have strawberry shortcake!! These are kids not needing much to live on if still at home. These are great jobs for kids just out of the house and trying to go to collage.

You just can't fill all the low paying seasonal jobs with other people from other countries and boot our American citizens aside. We are not saying that we don't need any but, NOW they don't even want just our seasonal jobs ,now they want your and anyone else's job!!

A lot of American parnets are to blame for the work ethic thinking that their kids shouldn't have to start at a low end job and teaching their children through life about supporting their selves. But, there are a lot of American kids willing to work short season work for spending money and making a living if given a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
 
178 posts, read 680,478 times
Reputation: 62
[quote=wildberries61;338939][quote=la quinta family;338665]None.. I never said anything about kids getting paid alot of money.
What I'm saying is ...... and my daughter just answered my question
was to her. Where would you rather work... blockbuster or
a job that requires intense physical labor for the same or less pay.
Of course she said Blockbuster...
Quote:

Maybe, it's the way you said it!! Rather how would you like to work at block busters or pick strawberries for the summer and we can go swimming when you get off and have strawberry shortcake!! These are kids not needing much to live on if still at home. These are great jobs for kids just out of the house and trying to go to collage.

You just can't fill all the low paying seasonal jobs with other people from other countries and boot our American citizens aside. We are not saying that we don't need any but, NOW they don't even want just our seasonal jobs ,now they want your and anyone else's job!!

A lot of American parnets are to blame for the work ethic thinking that their kids shouldn't have to start at a low end job and teaching their children through life about supporting their selves. But, there are a lot of American kids willing to work short season work for spending money and making a living if given a chance.

Well, then maybe you should be telling all the business's those
very same things. If you came to me and said that I would
definitly hire you over an illegal or your kid. No question.
Personally I wouldn't hire an illegal. Wouldn't you believe
most American's would feel the same way... wouldn't you
pay an American more and not even hire an illegal given the
choice. So where is the problem. Either people aren't
really trying or we've got some greedy people out there.
But I still don't blame the illegals... they are a symptom
of the problem. Like if you have sore tonsils it's not your
tonsils.. it's the infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
 
Location: CA Coast
1,900 posts, read 1,707,816 times
Reputation: 350
I think this is a bit bizaare. Mexicans don't work in the field because they were brought here to take jobs away from Americans. They, like the Japanese and filipinoes before them are doing jobs whites don't want to do. Japanese were brought in at the turn of the century to do field work. Whites did work in the fields but with the onset of WWII the bracero program was instituted, Mexican workers brought in as guest workers. That program ended in 1962, workers were still needed, Whites did not fill the gap, thus the illegals came in, housed and fed at employer expense. The need grew greater, still no guest worker program, and still no whites stepped in. With the unionization of the fields, wages sky rocketed which made the work much more attractive, still no whites stepped in. Mexicans stepped in.

Simple economics, crops to be gathered, workers needed. Check the fields these days, the cars parked alongside the fields are no longer carcachitas but good cars and trucks, the pay is fine, Whites still won't work the fields.

This idea that the illegals work cheaper does not always work. Field work is piece work, you get paid by what you produce, since the Mexicans have a better work ethic, they make more money than a white would working in the fields.

Got a problem with illegals, look at yourself, each time you buy fruit or vegies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
Well, then maybe you should be telling all the business's those
very same things. If you came to me and said that I would
definitly hire you over an illegal or your kid. No question.
Personally I wouldn't hire an illegal. Wouldn't you believe
most American's would feel the same way... wouldn't you
pay an American more and not even hire an illegal given the
choice. So where is the problem. Either people aren't
really trying or we've got some greedy people out there.
But I still don't blame the illegals... they are a symptom
of the problem. Like if you have sore tonsils it's not your
tonsils.. it's the infection.
It is the greed. Because the less someone has to pay in money, and benefits, the more the employer gets to pay themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top