Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
While living in Mexico City, I was told more then once that any person of mexican parents who is raised in the US is NOT considered a mexican because they have been Americanized for a use of a better word. Dual citizenship or not, they ar considered Americans. What else can I say, thats what they told me. The poor girl would have a hard time in their schools. The role could be reversed if a 13 yr old mexican girl was dropped into a 7th grade junior high school in the states. It would be very rough for her. Stefhen
-------------

Same with Miami . Cubans like myself though born in Cuba who have lived up North and not blind lemmings who vote on race are not considered Cuban lol kidding but some truth to that.

When you are born in USA REGARDLESS of which Hispanic group you "belong to" your not considered a "real Mcoy" (Puerto Rico is different) now add her limited Spanish and she is a real outsider an "exchange student" and not welcomed.

She will have lots of problems from not only students but administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
-------------

Same with Miami . Cubans like myself though born in Cuba who have lived up North and not blind lemmings who vote on race are not considered Cuban lol kidding but some truth to that.

When you are born in USA REGARDLESS of which Hispanic group you "belong to" your not considered a "real Mcoy" (Puerto Rico is different) now add her limited Spanish and she is a real outsider an "exchange student" and not welcomed.

She will have lots of problems from not only students but administration.
As a person I feel compassion for her, as a PATRIOT of my Country I feel much less. It just shows a glaring issue in Mexico not here.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:38 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
While living in Mexico City, I was told more then once that any person of mexican parents who is raised in the US is NOT considered a mexican because they have been Americanized for a use of a better word. Dual citizenship or not, they ar considered Americans. What else can I say, thats what they told me. The poor girl would have a hard time in their schools. The role could be reversed if a 13 yr old mexican girl was dropped into a 7th grade junior high school in the states. It would be very rough for her. Stefhen
I don't agree with this - at least not from my own personal experience. As a female, who attended public school in the LA area in the 70s/80s, with a son in public school right now in the same area, that is just not true.

When a 13 y.o. Mexican girl is dropped into a 7th grade classroom around here, it would not even cause a blip on the radar. It was true back in the 80s, and it is true today. I suppose it has to do with what area of the U.S.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The comparison that I was referring too was that in Mexico she would be the only English speaking person (student). Reverse the situation to a student that speaks only spanish exposed to a 99% English speaking class and she would be under the same conditions. Difference is that today, there are so many hispanic teens that would be conversing in spanish any 13 yr old from mexico would be like in old cumpa home week in mexico. They would assimilate (dual language) quickly. Pista Basci

Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The comparison that I was referring too was that in Mexico she would be the only English speaking person (student). Reverse the situation to a student that speaks only spanish exposed to a 99% English speaking class and she would be under the same conditions. Difference is that today, there are so many hispanic teens that would be conversing in spanish any 13 yr old from mexico would be like in old cumpa home week in mexico. They would assimilate (dual language) quickly. Pista Basci
Only if they use it at home which in a lot of cases they don't because the parents won't. I see it every day from the parents picking up their kids at my school. The kids are speaking English until they speak to their parents or older siblings.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
What I find ironic is despite Julie being an Anchor Baby-----her illegal immigrant Mexican mother did not teach her Spanish. Odd.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Either that or they are using it as another tool to try and drum up compassion for the horde like the woman who holed up in the Church. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say she probably heard Spanish enough to figure it out.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Either that or they are using it as another tool to try and drum up compassion for the horde like the woman who holed up in the Church. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say she probably heard Spanish enough to figure it out.
I tend to think your analogy is accurate. I doubt that her mother spoke any other language. That being the case, it would be hard for them to communicate. I smell a rat.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Absolutely! Her mom spoke Spanish. If the girl only understood English, she wouldn't have been able to communicate with her mom. Furthermore, Spanish would have been her first language. Don't we develop our language skills first from our parents? I know I did.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! Her mom spoke Spanish. If the girl only understood English, she wouldn't have been able to communicate with her mom. Furthermore, Spanish would have been her first language. Don't we develop our language skills first from our parents? I know I did.
So did I. Additionally, according to the article the "mother" brought 2 of her brothers with them and went on to birth an anchor. I have no doubt that prior to coming here they only conversed in Spanish. You titled it correctly "Sob Alert".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration