U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,085,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Here is the exact quote you made:

So are you going to claim that your comments in this thread are your best effort for "intelligent discourse"? Because then we'll know what your standards are.
this is a joke of a thread to begin with. how can i take this seriously? where is there room to discuss this, when people make assumptions about illegals, their computer use and the incidence of their personal profiles on the net.

their is nothing but conjecture here. there is no facts. nothing of substance.

what this does speak to is the fact that the gov't is becoming more and more of spy into our lives. if thats what we want to discuss, then lets place this in the controversies forum and have a go at it there. but here in immigration i cant take it seriously. and not after whats been said.

(sarcasm coming) so yes. now all the illegals will go delete their myspace pages...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 PM

13,071 posts, read 21,205,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is a joke of a thread to begin with. how can i take this seriously? where is there room to discuss this, when people make assumptions about illegals, their computer use and the incidence of their personal profiles on the net.

their is nothing but conjecture here. there is no facts. nothing of substance.

what this does speak to is the fact that the gov't is becoming more and more of spy into our lives. if thats what we want to discuss, then lets place this in the controversies forum and have a go at it there. but here in immigration i cant take it seriously. and not after whats been said.

(sarcasm coming) so yes. now all the illegals will go delete their myspace pages...

With all due respect, if you don't like the subject of this thread, then why did you bother to post? The comments you made about where this thread belongs is not for you to decide unless you're a mod. The comments you made about the nature of this thread are subjective and others may or may not agree. There is no need to call it a "joke" because that might appear to be intentionally hurtful to the person who started it.

I have read many of your posts and I even agree with some of your points - so I know you are capable of making useful contributions. If you think something is silly or wrong, then report it. Coming in and making equally silly or disparaging comments only lowers your stock, not theirs.

We should all be allowed to start threads on whatever subject we wish, and as long as the mods consider them appropriate then let them develop as they may. You are free to start threads of your own where you can make points that others agree or disagree with.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM

and we are all free to post where we wish.

if this thread is started here, i will post here. if i feel its misplaced i will say so.
a lot of articles posted by a particular person have very fragile links to immigration. this makes me think they have an unnatural fascination with the subject. not everything is about immigration.

here this is more about civil liberties, which would lead to a larger discussion of whether civil liberties are extended to non citizens.

but its laughable that most the of the leg work of raising the bar of discussion is not done by the OP's. they put it out there and just back and forth about meaningless proclamations and conjecture. its fluff. its not taken to that higher level. and sometimes i think it wouldnt be, save for other posters with original thoughts.
some posters are just interested in being a BULLEt PROOF MESSENGER.
im interested in actual original thoughts.

and as for offending the OP... if we want to talk about feelings, lets go to the relationships forum. feelings have been thrown out of these discussions long ago.

i am aware that i am inflecting my own feeling by calling this a joke. but next time i will be sure to explain why i think itsa joke. or why i cant have a serious conversation in the respective thread.
it just hasnt been take to that level. it is not yet a serious conversation.

should i be the one to take it there? maybe, but i think the impetus falls on whomever brought the subject to the table to provide some direction in the convo.

if i bring an article to the discuss, i will be sure to give my side of the story. i am opinionated. some people agree with those, others dont.

at this moment the back and forth is fun, but not very stimulating.

but lets talk about this then.

should the govt have the right to factor in online profiles when considering citizenship?

would illegals be exempt? would this only apply to citizens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
With all due respect, if you don't like the subject of this thread, then why did you bother to post? The comments you made about where this thread belongs is not for you to decide unless you're a mod. The comments you made about the nature of this thread are subjective and others may or may not agree. There is no need to call it a "joke" because that might appear to be intentionally hurtful to the person who started it.

I have read many of your posts and I even agree with some of your points - so I know you are capable of making useful contributions. If you think something is silly or wrong, then report it. Coming in and making equally silly or disparaging comments only lowers your stock, not theirs.

We should all be allowed to start threads on whatever subject we wish, and as long as the mods consider them appropriate then let them develop as they may. You are free to start threads of your own where you can make points that others agree or disagree with.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,313,673 times
I would like to know why it is that you whine so much.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
and we are all free to post where we wish.

if this thread is started here, i will post here. if i feel its misplaced i will say so.
a lot of articles posted by a particular person have very fragile links to immigration. this makes me think they have an unnatural fascination with the subject. not everything is about immigration.

here this is more about civil liberties, which would lead to a larger discussion of whether civil liberties are extended to non citizens.

but its laughable that most the of the leg work of raising the bar of discussion is not done by the OP's. they put it out there and just back and forth about meaningless proclamations and conjecture. its fluff. its not taken to that higher level. and sometimes i think it wouldnt be, save for other posters with original thoughts.
some posters are just interested in being a BULLEt PROOF MESSENGER.
im interested in actual original thoughts.

and as for offending the OP... if we want to talk about feelings, lets go to the relationships forum. feelings have been thrown out of these discussions long ago.

i am aware that i am inflecting my own feeling by calling this a joke. but next time i will be sure to explain why i think itsa joke. or why i cant have a serious conversation in the respective thread.
it just hasnt been take to that level. it is not yet a serious conversation.

should i be the one to take it there? maybe, but i think the impetus falls on whomever brought the subject to the table to provide some direction in the convo.

if i bring an article to the discuss, i will be sure to give my side of the story. i am opinionated. some people agree with those, others dont.

at this moment the back and forth is fun, but not very stimulating.

but lets talk about this then.

should the govt have the right to factor in online profiles when considering citizenship?

would illegals be exempt? would this only apply to citizens?
Bottom line:

If you have nothing to hide-------------you are not likely to be bothered by the authorities on a MySpace, etc. webpage.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,907,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I would like to know why it is that you whine so much.

It's what they do best. Whine, moan and complain. Because we are all aware things are so much better in Messyco.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM

how do i know what could get me in trouble? do immigration officials look down on drinking heavily? if some one has a pic posted of them with two bottles of vodka, could that be used against them?

where would it stop?
its a slippery slope when dealing with online communities.

can something said here get us in trouble?

i think we all post knowing this is a public forum, but do any of us expect what is said here to cause damage.

some posters, on this immigration forum, have advocated for war against other countries. they have also advocated for shooting people on sight.
could that be used against them in any way by our govt?

i dont have anything to hide. but how do i know what the gov'tthinks is acceptable or not.
it could become very arbitrary.
who decides whats acceptable behaviour for US citizens or people looking to become US citizens. what about provacative dancing?

could get a bit slippery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

If you have nothing to hide-------------you are not likely to be bothered by the authorities on a MySpace, etc. webpage.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,355,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
A family goes through immigration control at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.
Guess who may be checking you out on Facebook, Wikipedia and MySpace?

The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI are poring over non-verifiable profiles on the Web to help decide who should be allowed into the country and who may pose a threat to national security.

Information is even being collected through Google searches, DHS and FBI sources confirmed to FOXNews.com.

Sources say that immigration officials vetting applicants for citizenship or asylum scan personal profiles, looking for telling pictures or information to help confirm marriages, verify background details and see with whom they're chatting online.

Even U.S. citizens are having their Web profiles reviewed. People who buy one-way airline tickets, for example, are automatically flagged for security reasons, and authorities say a passenger’s name may be crosschecked against Facebook, YouTube or MySpace.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,419705,00.html

Good idea too bad they broadcasted it. I bet illegal aliens all over the internet are busy deleting their real identities and any other traceable admissions of criminal activity.
Nothing new... You guys who keep declaring war on everything are the ones who need to worry. Still got your guns ready?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:04 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,177,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Nothing new... You guys who keep declaring war on everything are the ones who need to worry. Still got your guns ready?
Not just 'Yeah!', but 'HELL YEAH!!' Why do you ask, you thinkin' about trying to TAKE one of 'em?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,907,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Just like you're still whining, we've still got our guns ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration