U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

A family goes through immigration control at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.
Guess who may be checking you out on Facebook, Wikipedia and MySpace?

The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI are poring over non-verifiable profiles on the Web to help decide who should be allowed into the country and who may pose a threat to national security.

Information is even being collected through Google searches, DHS and FBI sources confirmed to FOXNews.com.

Sources say that immigration officials vetting applicants for citizenship or asylum scan personal profiles, looking for telling pictures or information to help confirm marriages, verify background details and see with whom they're chatting online.

Even U.S. citizens are having their Web profiles reviewed. People who buy one-way airline tickets, for example, are automatically flagged for security reasons, and authorities say a passenger’s name may be crosschecked against Facebook, YouTube or MySpace.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,419705,00.html

Good idea too bad they broadcasted it. I bet illegal aliens all over the internet are busy deleting their real identities and any other traceable admissions of criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Good idea too bad they broadcasted it. I bet illegal aliens all over the internet are busy deleting their real identities and any other traceable admissions of criminal activity.
I really don't think illegals worry too much about their identities, considering the number of aliases they use. Also, all they have to do is steal another identity. They'll find a way to circumvent this, just as with everything else. Never underestimate the guile of the criminal mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I really don't think illegals worry too much about their identities, considering the number of aliases they use. Also, all they have to do is steal another identity. They'll find a way to circumvent this, just as with everything else. Never underestimate the guile of the criminal mind.
Unfortunately, you make a very valid point. Some of them tend to actually use their real identities and discuss their illegal alien status and behavior on line. I guess that was the market I was hoping the feds would luck up on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Unfortunately, you make a very valid point. Some of them tend to actually use their real identities and discuss their illegal alien status and behavior on line. I guess that was the market I was hoping the feds would luck up on.
If they're anything like some of the illegals I have encountered online, it shouldn't be too difficult for the feds to catch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
yes all the illegals are deleting their myspace pages now.



i think i will delete mine right now. not because im an illegal. but because i dont want the feds onto me and my ray-khan-quest-uhhhhh.

oh the laughs never stop.

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Reputation: 22525
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes all the illegals are deleting their myspace pages now.



i think i will delete mine right now. not because im an illegal. but because i dont want the feds onto me and my ray-khan-quest-uhhhhh.

oh the laughs never stop.

thanks guys
Weren't you 'the one' just chastizing all the posters for immaturity on another thread? Do you not see the hypocrisy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Weren't you 'the one' just chastizing all the posters for immaturity on another thread? Do you not see the hypocrisy?
you confuse sarcasm with immaturity.

i keep on forgetting to put the "[sarcasm]" thingy. just in case you didnt get it. i was being sarcastic.

either way getting a laugh out of something is not immature.

how am i being immature by the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
I don't recommend that anyone divulge personal info on the internet. I was shocked to discover my son had a MySpace page and was even on YouTube. You wouldn’t believe the disgusting comments girls had made. I made him delete it. I don’t consider it cute at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If they're anything like some of the illegals I have encountered online, it shouldn't be too difficult for the feds to catch them.
Agreed. For all of their self aggrandizing they aren't as bright as they would like to think they are. (see DREAM ACT board)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Reputation: 22525
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you confuse sarcasm with immaturity.

i keep on forgetting to put the "[sarcasm]" thingy. just in case you didnt get it. i was being sarcastic.

either way getting a laugh out of something is not immature.

how am i being immature by the way?
Here is the exact quote you made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no, this goes for everyone incapable of carryin on intelligent discourse. not just the pro or anti illegals. everyone.
So are you going to claim that your comments in this thread are your best effort for "intelligent discourse"? Because then we'll know what your standards are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top