U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
*illegals.
A Mexican is a citizen of Mexico-----------and, I am not referring to Mexico, Missouri either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
In my many visits to Mexico, where a previous company I worked for had many offices, I was always shocked by the poverty and passive nature of its citizens. I liked many aspects of the Mexican culture but strongly believed that the country will never have the prosperity of the United States, Canada or Western Europe.

Many people tell us that if only America would work with the Mexicans on their economy and send them billions of dollars in economic aide, their economy would boom and they would no longer need to send huge numbers of immigrants into America.

If only it were so easy. I see the main problem with Mexico is the Mexican Culture. People live for their families and live for the day. Education and infrastructure development are not considered that important. What can be done tommorrow will wait. Being on time is not that important or is efficency or a sense of urgency.

Agree or disagree?
It's no accident that the countries everyone wants to live in are the English speaking nations. In the Western hemisphere, the top three nations as far as standard of living, that is -- a middle class lifestyle for the majority are the USA, Canada, and Barbados, all English speaking countries.

Much has to do with culture. It seems one of the best things for a country is to have been part of the former British empire, a former British colony because of the culture and language that bestowed.

In our culture, "all men are created equal" means that we don't believe you are locked in by your class or caste, we believe that hard work, education, should allow you to move up from poverty into middle class, or more up from poverty or middle class into upper class.

In the hispanic cultures, people traditionally are going to remain in the class they were born into. If they are born to servants, then they will be servants, if they are born to the pampered elite, then that's how they will remain. Hard work has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
For quite awhile I did not understand why so many countries disliked us so much, I think they got tired of telling them what is wrong with their country, when we do not have a lot to brag about at the time being. We are not better than everyone else, we have no right to push how we think things should be done, religion, culture.
If we have an invasion here like we did in Iraq, we Americans might
climb off of our high horse and realize we are not the most perfect,
know it all, like is going on now.
When a particular nation has decided to use us as the dumping ground for all it's problems and insists that we must take in whatever excess population they wish to rid themselves of, then we have every right to look at how that nation is running itself.

If Americans were running into Mexico by the millions and demanding this and that, and insisting that they must leave the USA or they'll surely starve to death, then the reverse would be true.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,998,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
First and foremost, for more than a century, we have done everything humanly and humanely possible and are currently at risk of surrending our soverneignty all in the name of propping up Mexico.

For decades we have provided their government and its citizens: economically, socially, emotionally, militarily and now politically. You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink.

It's time to seal our borders, get rid of their illegal aliens, wash our hands of this cesspool and get our own house in order.
Amen to that!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Despite what the above people are assuming, Mexico is improving. It has a pretty good economy due to all the foreign corporations(including American) investing in Mexico.

To understand whats wrong with Mexico, you have to understand its past of bad leadership.

But as the economy in Mexico improves, there is now a growing middle class. What Mexico needs to do right now is clean house, put a stop to the corruption that is so deeply rooted in the military/government/police.

Mexico is adjacent to the country with the biggest demand for drugs. It is also in between the United States and a lot of places that make those drugs. Mexico's unique location makes it vulnerable to all kinds of corruption. Transporting drugs into the United States is BIG business.

People say a lot of bad things about Calderon(or any other Hispanic in power), but I see him shaking up the cartels.
Also, I read about a "legal revolution", a number of young lawyer types who are determined to end the corruption of the Mexican legal system.
Like I said before ,I think its up to the youth of Mexico to put an end to the cycle of corruption.

I dont think the cartels will ever go away(Americans are always going to need their drugs!), but I think that the Mexicans will want change in the coming years/decades.

I only see Mexico improving in the future. Theres more than enough money to go around. Little by little, I think the status quo will break. People have been protesting a lot lately in Mexico. I think people know what they want, and thats the most important thing.
You can't be totally oblivious to Mexico's growing drug addiction problem.

Trying to blame the USA for all of Mexico's problems is absurd. If the USA were so horrible, then why is Canada quite well off? You don't see Canada tearing itself up over drug cartels and trafficking.

Where is your proof that any of the recently massacred in Mexico brought drugs into the USA ever, and that their drug dealing had anything to do with any Americans?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
Thank you that is what I believe in. Mexico should be like Puerto Rico an American colony with it's own identity yet supported by America.

America get's labor legally and Mexico has better things. Both countries win with America gaining the most.
An awful lot of Mexicans do not want to be an American colony.

What's so wrong with having separate nations because we are a very different people, Mexicans can have their own way of life and language and history in Mexico, the Americans should have the same in the USA.

Each people should work to improve their countries, the living conditions for their people.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,040,251 times
The problems of Mexico are the fault of their corrupt governments over the years.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
I like your post AMC and I too have seen a shift and drugs are big business and with the US begging for it too.Not to mention their involvment in it.
I am hoping that the future of Mexico gets brighter. They are artistic loving people. Their craftsmanship is wonderful.
They still need help and I think the US needs to set up more trade with them and continue to help like we do everywhere else so maybe they will not feel the need to come.
The recent beheaded going on there is sickening and I wish we knew who the perpetrators were.
I understand the thoughts of some of those other posters but some hate Mexico so much they refer to it as a cesspool. I do not think anyone should put anothers country down and they should remember they too are immigrants to our country our good old USA.

I believe we have to look at root causes. Drug trafficking problems such as Mexico has don't just pop up out of nowhere.

What leads to so many people turning to organized crime and drug dealing? Is it lack of opportunity? Does crime provide the only upward social mobility?

Is there actually social instability brought on by the mass exodus out of villages and rural areas? Families are uprooted, traditional ties and safety nets are destroyed. Parents leave children behind when they decide to go after American dollars, children need parents in the home helping raise them much more than they need a remittance check to buy cell phones and designer clothes.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When a particular nation has decided to use us as the dumping ground for all it's problems and insists that we must take in whatever excess population they wish to rid themselves of, then we have every right to look at how that nation is running itself.

If Americans were running into Mexico by the millions and demanding this and that, and insisting that they must leave the USA or they'll surely starve to death, then the reverse would be true.
I guess we cannot say never. It would be a real eye opener if WE
AMERICANS were ever put in that situation. You mentioned in your post under certain circumstances, we would have the right to look at how that nation is running itself. How do you think OUR country is running itself?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can't be totally oblivious to Mexico's growing drug addiction problem.

Trying to blame the USA for all of Mexico's problems is absurd. If the USA were so horrible, then why is Canada quite well off? You don't see Canada tearing itself up over drug cartels and trafficking.

Where is your proof that any of the recently massacred in Mexico brought drugs into the USA ever, and that their drug dealing had anything to do with any Americans?
What are you basing Mexico's "growing" drug addiction problem on? Personal experience? From what you see?

And why do you guys EVERY TIME, without fail, see what I say as "blaming USA for all of Mexico's problems"?

Do you think it's coincidence that before all the drugs went through Mexico, they use to go through Cuba?
What do those two places have in common?
Besides brown people that is..

Get it?? They are RIGHT NEXT to AMERICA. I'm not "blaming it" on America, its just the way it is. America DOES have a big drug problem. Supply and Demand.

Why doesn't Canada have the same problem as Mexico? Since they are both at America's border?
Last time I checked, Canada wasn't in between the United States and the jungles where drugs are produced.
Last time I checked, Mexico IS.

The direct route for drug traffic to get to the United States is through Mexico. Criminals in Mexico saw that as an opportunity to make profit off it.
And they did. They make A LOT of money out of it. But where theres a lot of money, theres competition. And then you have conflict.

With so much money in the drug traffic that flows HEAVILY to the United States consumers..youre going to have corruption.

Believe me..if there was nothing but snow south of Mexico, and lush, remote jungles north of Canada, the drugs would be coming through the north. Why? Because people WANT TO BUY THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration