U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:08 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Yeah, I have five computers in my house. They all have different IP addresses. Big freakin' whoop. That means absolutely nada.

I have to admit, this split personality thing is nothing if not amusing. At least you "two" are good for a giggle.
Oh then by means just go on believing what you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Oh then by means just go on believing what you want
By what means?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
By what means?
I guess it was supposed to read by all means . . .

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I guess you cannot attack the topic, you have to try and shoot the messenger. I guess you have not read tos on the forum, try gleening it sometime.
Oh no, not gleening....that's more painful than a paper cut.

Under no circumstance should any of us attempt to gleen anything. I hear gleening is illegal in 13 states.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Oh no, not gleening....that's more painful than a paper cut.

Under no circumstance should any of us attempt to gleen anything. I hear gleening is illegal in 13 states.
Whats with you and being a grammar nazi on an internet forum? Seriously. This is an internet forum...as informal as it gets. Get a life.
Im sure theres better and more productive ways to make yourself feel smart.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Whats with you and being a grammar nazi on an internet forum? Seriously. This is an internet forum...as informal as it gets. Get a life.
Im sure theres better and more productive ways to make yourself feel smart.
Informality does not excuse sloppiness, lazy grammar, mispelled words (in this age of spell check) lack of punctuation or improper capitalization.

Is it sheer indolence or do people just not care that all of the above shoots down their credibility? Is the appearance of ignorance and illiteracy some sort of badge of honor amongst the internet set?

Grammar nazi I may be, but at least my posts are literate, articulate, and grammatically correct. I don't need to correct you or anyone else to "make myself feel smart." I practice exactly what I preach.

I refuse to take seriously any person who cannot form a cohesive sentence. It's not rocket science. Most of us learned this stuff in junior high. Why would you even countenance any semblance of inerudition? It doesn't count as actual writing because it's an internet forum, therefore one may write like a six year old? How can you expect to garner any sort of plausibility at all?

When a person claims to have a Master's degree in Education, yet cannot punctuate a sentence consisting of no more than a subject and a predicate, then they, by the very nature of their professed profession, had better expect to catch major flack and I am more than happy to provide it.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Informality does not excuse sloppiness, lazy grammar, mispelled words (in this age of spell check) lack of punctuation or improper capitalization.

Is it sheer indolence or do people just not care that all of the above shoots down their credibility? Is the appearance of ignorance and illiteracy some sort of badge of honor amongst the internet set?

Grammar nazi I may be, but at least my posts are literate, articulate, and grammatically correct. I don't need to correct you or anyone else to "make myself feel smart." I practice exactly what I preach.

I refuse to take seriously any person who cannot form a cohesive sentence. It's not rocket science. Most of us learned this stuff in junior high. Why would you even countenance any semblance of inerudition? It doesn't count as actual writing because it's an internet forum, therefore one may write like a six year old? How can you expect to garner any sort of plausibility at all?

When a person claims to have a Master's degree in Education, yet cannot punctuate a sentence consisting of no more than a subject and a predicate, then they, by the very nature of their professed profession, had better expect to catch major flack and I am more than happy to provide it.

cRediBility? N dis FoRum?? HAH!

Even though plenty of people in here use internet lingo all the time. Thats not really acceptable grammar. Example: frequent use of terms such as "ITA".

Well, I guess it only matters when someone on the other side has a typo, or doesn't bother with punctuation.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Even though plenty of people in here use internet lingo all the time. Thats not really acceptable grammar. Example: frequent use of terms such as "ITA".

Well, I guess it only matters when someone on the other side has a typo, or doesn't bother with punctuation.
I am an equal opportunity grammar nazi. Yet there are many people on this forum who seem to have no need of "internet speak" to get their point across. They do quite well with proper English.

I have no idea what ITA is and if I did, I still wouldn't use it.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:

Oh please.......you’re comparing a few online abbreviations with those lacking even the most rudimentary grammar skills? Does ITA (I totally agree) -- BTW (by the way) -- OTOH (on the other hand) -- LOL (laughing out loud) -- ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing) actually epitomize ignorance? I guess you never use an abbreviation. Give me a break!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh please.......you’re comparing a few online abbreviations with those lacking even the most rudimentary grammar skills? Does ITA (I totally agree) -- BTW (by the way) -- OTOH (on the other hand) -- LOL (laughing out loud) -- ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing) actually epitomize ignorance? I guess you never use an abbreviation. Give me a break!

Nothing more than the usual bait and switch, petty squabbling to avoid dealing with the real issues. You and Kele know how they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or