U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
I thought you had changed your name for a minute. but I guess we just have more bears.
I as you know am hoping for a good solution to this problem. waiting and watching for those solutions.
To set the record straight: I have never stated that all (legal) immigration needs to be stopped--------and, I am as much of a hardass towards illegals from, say Sweden as from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
That is good to know I did not realize it was daily. good to hear. Have they gotten anywhere with the building?
Yes they have, and they also have a doctor that will treat and also give the shots they need. I think it will help a lot, especially helping the people help themselves. You do know that the coffee they are selling is helping the people and besides that it is darn good coffee, I should know, I drink enough of it.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM

638 posts, read 1,637,959 times
Any illegal alien attempting to vote is committing voter fraud.

End the ignorance.

Contact your local FBI Office to report voter fraud :
Federal Bureau of Investigation - Your Local FBI Office

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
One last comment...if you've ever seen the kind of poverty that exists in parts of the world first hand (including Mexico) you may better understand why people risk their lives to come here. LIfe is a crap shoot and some of us are lucky to be born in the US. Others are born in horribly corrupt, violent and poverty stricken places. So they're there, barely getting by and wanting a better life. It's easy to see how people would not want better for themselves and their children. It's human nature. Living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 8 other people in the US and working 7 days a week for 10 hours a day and having running water, a toilet and food is better than living in many other parts of the world, including many parts of Mexico.
I have seen this sort of poverty and it saddens me to no end. That is why, even though I am a student on limited income, I support "Feed the Children" an organization which assists ALL the world's children, including those here in the U.S.

Life is a crap shoot indeed but even those who were lucky enough to be born here aren't always lucky enough to have been born into a family that makes enough money to feed them. The poverty in Appalachia makes some of the tar paper shacks along our southern border look like luxury hotels.

In some areas of Appalachia, as many as 26.8 percent of the homes are classified as substandard. That is, it has more people than rooms and is without indoor plumbing. Rates of poverty among children under the age of 18 in Appalachian Kentucky range from 17 percent in some counties to as high as 56.4 percent in others. Almost 59 percent of the children living in the Appalachians are eligible to receive free or reduced-priced lunches. In one area, over 90 percent of the children are eligible. Almost two-thirds of the Kentuckians who left the welfare roles in 1999 are working at jobs that pay less than $8 an hour. These demographics represent only a part of the Appalachian poverty.

The poverty rates and illiteracy rates are very high in the West Virginia part of the Appalachians. In McDowell County, WV, the poverty rate is 33% with 49.4% of the children living in poverty. Unemployment is over 30%. The number of disabled persons over the age of 5 is between 40% and 45%. The percentage of high school grads among folks age 25 and over is 50% or less.

Sixty seven percent of the households have no wastewater treatment, allowing 314,000 gallons of untreated waste per day to enter streams and rivers.That's 13 ˝ gallons per resident. EPA statistics indicate that 558 persons in McDowell are drinking untreated groundwater. They also concede that the number is under reported.

This is just a very small portion of the poverty here within our own borders. Yet, it is overlooked or cast to one side in favor of importing the poor from south of the border.

These are AMERICA'S children. Do you think that their parents want any less for their children than the parents of Mexican children? I understand that people are desperate, but the people of Appalachia are just as desperate if not more so. They are born and raised in the land of plenty, but their needs are shunted to the end of the line so that we may subsidize the poverty stricken from the 16th richest country in the world! Don't you think that the parents of the 2,500 children who die each day in Africa of hunger and its related diseases are any less desperate than the parents of Mexico's children? Where is the empathy for them?

Why do we continue to allow our government to import poor from south of the border when America's children are going to bed hungry every night? It simply galls me beyond belief. Instead of enabling Mexico to dump its unwanted citizens on the United States, there should be an uprising of angry Americans demanding that Mexico care for its own citizens. American tax dollars and American aid should rectify our own problems before we take on the task of caring for someone else's problems.

Personally, I'm sick to freaking death of this particular part of the debate. When the children of our citizens no longer go bed hungry at night, when they have clean water to drink, and shoes on their feet, then we can begin to worry about everybody else's children.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM

:::::tick, tick, tick:::::

Still waiting for some sort of response from the "they just come here for a better life" gallery......

Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Still waiting for some sort of response from the "they just come here for a better life" gallery......
OK, I HATE to keep you waiting, so here goes.."Actually, Kele, it's true...they DO come for a better life".....and if we could just end the discussion THERE, instead of getting into all that 'legalese' mumbo-jumbo, and all those side issues, I think we'd ALL be happier. Just keep thinking, "better life"...and leave the "legal" stuff to the Government to handle. After all, that's what we PAY them for.

How am I doing?....

Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, I HATE to keep you waiting, so here goes.."Actually, Kele, it's true...they DO come for a better life".....and if we could just end the discussion THERE, instead of getting into all that 'legalese' mumbo-jumbo, and all those side issues, I think we'd ALL be happier. Just keep thinking, "better life"...and leave the "legal" stuff to the Government to handle. After all, that's what we PAY them for.

How am I doing?....
That was great Mac!

You completely and totally ignored the desperate poverty inside of our own borders! You've crossed over to the enlightened!

Hey, do the enlightened have cookies?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
That was great Mac!

You completely and totally ignored the desperate poverty inside of our own borders! You've crossed over to the enlightened!

Hey, do the enlightened have cookies?
There you go...I THOUGHT we weren't going to bring up all these 'side issues'. Well, I TRIED...right?...

Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,921,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
They kill them many killed daily shot and robbed by police and military and I think that is horrible and disgusting.
too bad they don't get'em all before they slither across to OUR country to take
whatever they can!

LEGAL immigrants who have gone thru the proper channels are MORE than welcome!
Those who slither over in the dead of night should all be given a one-way ticket in
a pine box! That old OLD line about how they only are taking the jobs Americans
won't do is worn-out, and such bull! They are using/buying false documents to get
ALL-KINDS of jobs these days.. TAKING AWAY jobs from college kids to Seniors!
They are taking away all the lower housing rentals from AMERICANS who can't afford
much! Everywhere we go... you see some mexican working behind the counter,
STEALING another AMERICANS job! They bring with them the same lifestyle they
had in mexico... they move into neighborhoods that were once CLEAN, NICE and free of
junk cars and trash... only to turn them into pray painted gangbanging filth!
Sure.. mommy and daddy illegal try to send the little bandits to school at OUR expense..
but by the time they reach the 7th grade, they find it waay easier to drop out and become thugs! We have enough of our own criminals to deal with... we don't need some
illegal to slither over only to keep popping out more future criminals!
There are MANY Americans who are fed up with the abuse!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I had a feeling that this home truth regarding poverty in the U.S. would be completely ignored. After all, we are the land of plenty and if we won't give our resources up willingly to other country's inhabitants, we should be guilted into it at the very least, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or