U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil leftist dogma View Post
What illegal immigrant from Mexico is stopping you from getting a good job? I don't see very many illegal doctors, lawyers, tax auditors, bankers, etc.

Do you consider picking oranges in south-west Florida a "good job"?
sorry i cant buy that, everybody in the electricians shack at SDGE speaks spanish (me too) they are not pickin oranges they be pickin 30 bucks an hour plus OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM

122 posts, read 131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sorry i cant buy that, everybody in the electricians shack at SDGE speaks spanish (me too) they are not pickin oranges they be pickin 30 bucks an hour plus OT.
Maybe some of them have better jobs, but the ones who I see around Florida who are probably not documented (poor housing, nasty jobs, speak very little English) generally work in agriculture. I don't even see many in construction- all the contract workers I know were born here.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<<it suggests that there is a 100 percent chance that the baby was given life to keep the parent from being deported.>>

Unfortunately that is why some illegal aliens have children What do you say about those who wait until they go into labor to cross the border? How about those who, as one doctor said, "drive around in the parking lot of the hospital until labor is too far advanced to turn them away"? The goal is obviously to have the child born in this country. Wouldn't you say that's a pretty good description of an anchor baby?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,499,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you believe the term "anchor baby" dehumanizes children born to illegal aliens in this country?

The Dehumanizing Term "Anchor Baby" Part of a Reactionary Assault on American Values | | AlterNet

Born to illegals???

An "Anchor baby" is any child born to NON-U.S. citizens in this country.

The children born to legal and illegal immigrants are "anchor babies", regardless of the immigration status of the parents.

Anchor baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When it comes to our laws, Anchor babies are as Americans as the very same founding fathers.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Born to illegals???

The children born to legal and illegal immigrants are "anchor babies", regardless of the immigration status of the parents.

When it comes to our laws, Anchor babies are as Americans as the very same founding fathers.
In practice: an Anchor Baby is one born here in the USA with both of its parents being here illegally.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,499,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In practice: an Anchor Baby is one born here in the USA with both of its parents being here illegally.
If you believe you are right, Wikipedia should modify the "Anchor baby" meaning then... why don`t you write them a letter. I am sure they made a study about the use of that term in our country before they posted it on their website.

Weren`t you born to Non-U.S citizen Hungarian immigrants? the current "anchor baby" definiton is related to you...

In Practice: Anchor babies are rightfully U.S. citizens (that included you when you were born). They could even get to be presidents in the future, and legally speaking there is no difference between an anchor baby and the children born to U.S. citizens. They are both U.S. citizens.

I think that our laws should me modified... the country is getting overpopulated.

U.S. citizenship should not be recognized to any individual born in our country. U.S. nationality should be determined by having an ancestor who is a national of the U.S. (It should be based on blood).

Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
If you believe you are right, Wikipedia should modify the "Anchor baby" meaning then... why don`t you write them a letter. I am sure they made a study about the use of that term in our country before they posted it on their website.

Weren`t you born to Non-U.S citizen Hungarian immigrants? the current "anchor baby" definiton is related to you...

In Practice: Anchor babies are rightfully U.S. citizens (that included you when you were born). They could even get to be presidents in the future, and legally speaking there is no difference between an anchor baby and the children born to U.S. citizens. They are both U.S. citizens.

I think that our laws should me modified... the country is getting overpopulated.

U.S. citizenship should not be recognized to any individual born in our country. U.S. nationality should be determined by having an ancestor who is a national of the U.S. (It should be based on blood).
One parent (legally) immigrated from Hungary and I am 99% sure that my father received his US citizenship prior to my being born.

My mom's family has been here since at least the 18th Century, she is of (probably) English/Irish lineage.

Needless to say: by any definition, I would not count as an Anchor Baby

PS: I too agree that our immigration laws need to be tightened---------especially in this vicious recession/depression. Although; legal immigrants from any nation should be welcome here.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
our economy is bad and guna get worse, illegal immigration once winked at, is no longer welcome.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Born to illegals???

If you are going to quote a source, at least make it credible. Apparently you don’t realize anyone can modify Wikipedia content.

Quote:
Anyone can distribute and even modify Wikipedia content in compliance with its license, called the GNU Free Documentation License. Besides attribution, the license requires that modifications are made available under the same conditions, a principle known as "copyleft" and most frequently applied to computer software such as the free operating system Linux.
Google offers to help Wikipedia - Wikinews, the free news source

Anchor babies are the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens; not the U.S.-born children of legal immigrants. Only illegal aliens need their children to “anchor” them to this country, and scam the system.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
our economy is bad and guna get worse, illegal immigration once winked at, is no longer welcome.
If my personal income is any indication: you may be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration