U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,038,627 times

Advertisements

I have no desire to flame a child for the sins of their parents. Thanks for the pointing that out - I didn't think of it in those terms before.

So - what should we call illegal immigrants who wish to bear children in the US for benefits and future legalization? Criminals? Manipulators? Welfare fraud perpetrators?
Do tell.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,038,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil leftist dogma View Post
Maybe some of them have better jobs, but the ones who I see around Florida who are probably not documented (poor housing, nasty jobs, speak very little English) generally work in agriculture. I don't even see many in construction- all the contract workers I know were born here.
Those in my areas are employed greatly in construction, sanitation and in packing houses. Both areas make good money and in these professions there are citizens and legal immigrants who are willing and able to take those jobs. Just not at crap wages with no benefits and in needlessly dangerous working conditions.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,500,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One parent (legally) immigrated from Hungary and I am 99% sure that my father received his US citizenship prior to my being born.

My mom's family has been here since at least the 18th Century, she is of (probably) English/Irish lineage.

Needless to say: by any definition, I would not count as an Anchor Baby

PS: I too agree that our immigration laws need to be tightened---------especially in this vicious recession/depression. Although; legal immigrants from any nation should be welcome here.
In case we need foreign workers for some reason, our immigration system should put great emphasis on finding highly skilled workers. (Doctors, experienced engineers, nurses, etc etc.)

A points based system should be used to determine who is elegible.

- Work Experience
- Criminal background
- Medical history

In addition to this point based system, we should build a wall in the southern border.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM

60,278 posts, read 30,643,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
In case we need foreign workers for some reason, our immigration system should put great emphasis on finding highly skilled workers. (Doctors, experienced engineers, nurses, etc etc.)

There are a lot of Doctors and Nurses being sponsored to come here now. I have met a lot of people from the UK here, in the nursing field and a couple 3 or 4 doctors.
Engineers are coming from India of all places.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,793,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you are going to quote a source, at least make it credible. Apparently you don’t realize anyone can modify Wikipedia content.

Google offers to help Wikipedia - Wikinews, the free news source

Anchor babies are the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens; not the U.S.-born children of legal immigrants. Only illegal aliens need their children to “anchor” them to this country, and scam the system.
At least he provided a source for his definition of anchor baby. Where are you getting your definition from and what makes it more credible than his ?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
At least he provided a source for his definition of anchor baby. Where are you getting your definition from and what makes it more credible than his ?
Anchor Baby Power

Quote:
La Voz de Aztlan has produced a video in honor of the millions of babies that have been born as US citizens to Mexican undocumented parents.
'undocumented parents' AKA illegal alien criminal losers.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,793,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Anchor Baby Power

'undocumented parents' AKA illegal alien criminal losers.
Yea that source is really credible. I got this definition from one of the main anti- immigrant groups who coined the term.

Quote:
The term “anchor baby” may be unfamiliar to most Americans but it succinctly describes a troubling aspect of American immigration.
An anchor baby is defined as an offspring of an illegal immigrant or other non-citizen, who under current legal interpretation becomes a United States citizen at birth

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...suecenters4608

Seems eduardo was right in his definition.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 AM

122 posts, read 131,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post

A points based system should be used to determine who is elegible.

- Work Experience
- Criminal background
- Medical history

In addition to this point based system, we should build a wall in the southern border.
Agree, except the wall on the southern border. They'll just save up enough money to fly to Canada and come south through there.

Also, age/work experience don't matter. In fact, they can be a hindrance if you are a doctor. The system in the US is different than in the UK, Canada, and most of the world... just as an example, the US uses the imperial system as opposed to the metric system. There is less of a problem if one hasn't had metric ingrained into their brains... I know it took some getting used to when I came here and had to re-learn measurements. It's easier to re-tool if you don't have experience in certain aspects (just on a practical level- the science is the same but the measurements are not). And pharmaceuticals? Fegh, their names are different no matter where you go. The sooner you get used to certain protocols, the more efficient you are in the lab or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Yea that source is really credible. I got this definition from one of the main anti- immigrant groups who coined the term.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR): Anchor Babies: The Children of Illegal Aliens

Seems eduardo was right in his definition.
Do you not understand the definition of illegal alien and non-citizen? How is Eduardo “right?” The source you referenced, does not mention “legal” immigrants, which is the definition provided by Eduardo. Try again.

I really don’t know why this is even being debated. We all know that “anchor babies” are the offspring of illegal aliens, aka non-citizens.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,884 times
was there ever an export trade deficit anyone should have corrected in time?

hooking up and anchoring with proper ing skills. not all that easy, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration