U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times

Advertisements

Do you believe the term "anchor baby" dehumanizes children born to illegal aliens in this country?

Quote:
Those who use the term are dead-set against a key provision of the Constitution.

Nativists try to make this seem like an abomination, but challenging this is an afront to the very concept of U.S. citizenship. To oppose it, is the difference between the philosophical concepts of "jus soli" and "jus sanguinis", or the "the right of soil" vs. "the right of blood".

What is most disgraceful about congresmman like Virgil Goode is that when they rail against anchor babies, they are dehumanizing the very people that they were elected to represent. Even if they succeed in the radical reordoring of the concept of U.S. citizenship and the U.S. constitution, they cannot very well retroactively deny citizenship to the "anchor babies" that were already born in the U.S. Like it or not they are here to stay. Like it or not, congressman is elected to represent those "anchor babies".
The Dehumanizing Term "Anchor Baby" Part of a Reactionary Assault on American Values | | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,386,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you believe the term "anchor baby" dehumanizes children born to illegal aliens in this country?
No

Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
I don't see it as anything more than a 'catch phrase', used in a rather 'hot-button' debate. I don't see it as any more dehumanizing than "anti-immigrants"...or "nativists"...or "gun nuts"...or being "pro life" or "pro choice". An 'anchor baby' can be used to 'guarantee' a 'foot in the door' for a whole family....similar to the concept of 'chain migration'. But 'dehumanizing'? I don't see that.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times
IMO, it’s a fitting description, because it provides illegal aliens with a foothold. As long as an illegal has an “anchor” they have a connection to this country, and it improves their chances for eventual citizenship via sponsorship by the anchor.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,903,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't see it as anything more than a 'catch phrase', used in a rather 'hot-button' debate. I don't see it as any more dehumanizing than "anti-immigrants"...or "nativists"...or "gun nuts"...or being "pro life" or "pro choice". An 'anchor baby' can be used to 'guarantee' a 'foot in the door' for a whole family....similar to the concept of 'chain migration'. But 'dehumanizing'? I don't see that.

Agreed. I find the term totally appropriate. When a child is deliberately bred for the sole purpose of obtaining the benefits of chain migration and abusing the social services and other taxpayer financed freebies, it is indeed the illegal aliens anchor to this country.

The racists that keep denying their criminal motives need to stop trying to convince Americans that their actions are not calculated or disgusting. They are the ones birthing children as a source of income to fulfill their selfish, evil, deceitful goals.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM

9,310 posts, read 25,691,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sadly, Benicar . . . individuals searching to be "dehumanized" and/or insulted are usually able to find a term to do so.

To answer your question . . . NO!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
So long as they are on the free ride program while still hiding in the community, no.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,311,802 times
I find the term Anchor Baby quite inappropriate. I prefer Ballast Bambino!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Look harder.

The term anchor baby says a lot. It says "other than American". It has negative connotations. Its pretty much synonymous with 'illegal'.

The so called "anchor baby", by American law, is an American.

You guys don't like that they are American, you guys dont want them to be American, but they are by law, and legally, officially American.
Calling them anchor baby is a stab at that, because it suggests that there is a 100 percent chance that the baby was given life to keep the parent from being deported.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. I find the term totally appropriate. When a child is deliberately bred for the sole purpose of obtaining the benefits of chain migration and abusing the social services and other taxpayer financed freebies, it is indeed the illegal aliens anchor to this country.

The racists that keep denying their criminal motives need to stop trying to convince Americans that their actions are not calculated or disgusting. They are the ones birthing children as a source of income to fulfill their selfish, evil, deceitful goals.

THe racists? So everyone immigrating here illegally is also racist? That doesnt even make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration