U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK..that's it. I give up, and you win. There's no way I can possibly penetrate that thinking. "They" come here illegally, and "they" proceed to set up housekeeping. The fact that "they" now LIVE here (illegally), means that when "they" use the local emergency room, they're now considered "locals" (by virtue of their local address)..Therefore, by virtue of their BEING here, "they" are now "us", and "WE" are ALL overloading our emergency rooms, because "WE" (some of us, who live here illegally) can't pay the costs.
So it's NOT like anyone's COMING HERE to take advantage...it's just some of US who are taking advantage...because ALL OF US now live here...(those of US who are legal, and those of US who aren't.). Got it.

You win...I give up. I'm going to go lie down now.
I second that motion.

Banging my head against a brick wall is giving me a headache.

Olecapt wins. He knows all. We know squat. He reigns supreme. We are lowly know-nothings. He is right. We all are wrong.

Mexican nationals (AKA illegal aliens) coming here for healthcare, living in this country no longer have Mexican addresses.

Consequently, that means that NO Mexican nationals are coming to the U.S. for healthcare. They all have U.S. addresses now, thus they are residents of the U.S., thus they are U.S. residents sucking the life out of the U.S. healthcare system by virtue of their non-U.S. residency.

Is that clear to the rest of you now?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I think that you and most of us know the answer to that question.
Yeppers:

Mexico wants our Southwest that us Gringoes (of any race/ethnicity) built up from virtually nothing yet Guatemala which is still a poor, dysfunctional dump does not appeal to Mexico---------never mind it too broke free from Mx after 1821.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I second that motion.

Banging my head against a brick wall is giving me a headache.

Olecapt wins. He knows all. We know squat. He reigns supreme. We are lowly know-nothings. He is right. We all are wrong.

Mexican nationals (AKA illegal aliens) coming here for healthcare, living in this country no longer have Mexican addresses.

Consequently, that means that NO Mexican nationals are coming to the U.S. for healthcare. They all have U.S. addresses now, thus they are residents of the U.S., thus they are U.S. residents sucking the life out of the U.S. healthcare system by virtue of their non-U.S. residency.

Is that clear to the rest of you now?
Not a problem: I keep calling out olecapt and his ilk as I see fit

Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK..that's it. I give up, and you win. There's no way I can possibly penetrate that thinking. "They" come here illegally, and "they" proceed to set up housekeeping. The fact that "they" now LIVE here (illegally), means that when "they" use the local emergency room, they're now considered "locals" (by virtue of their local address)..Therefore, by virtue of their BEING here, "they" are now "us", and "WE" are ALL overloading our emergency rooms, because "WE" (some of us, who live here illegally) can't pay the costs.
So it's NOT like anyone's COMING HERE to take advantage...it's just some of US who are taking advantage...because ALL OF US now live here...(those of US who are legal, and those of US who aren't.). Got it.

You win...I give up. I'm going to go lie down now.
Mac sorry you might have missed this excerpt from Fred Reed I posted the other day. Maybe this will help clear things up.

Quote:
Mexicans seem to regard laws as interesting concepts that might merit thought at some later date. There is much to be said for this. The governmental attitude seems to be that if a thing doesn’t need regulating, then don’t regulate it. Life is much easier that way.

If a law doesn’t make sense in a particular instance, a Mexican will ignore it. Where I live it is common to see a driver go the wrong way on a one-way street to avoid a lengthy circumnavigation. Since speeds are about five miles an hour, it isn’t dangerous. The police don’t patrol because there isn’t enough crime (in my town: the big cities are as bad as ours) to justify it. It works. Everybody is happy, which isn’t a crime in Mexico.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Mac sorry you might have missed this excerpt from Fred Reed I posted the other day. Maybe this will help clear things up.

Quote:
Mexicans seem to regard laws as interesting concepts that might merit thought at some later date. There is much to be said for this. The governmental attitude seems to be that if a thing doesn’t need regulating, then don’t regulate it. Life is much easier that way.

If a law doesn’t make sense in a particular instance, a Mexican will ignore it. Where I live it is common to see a driver go the wrong way on a one-way street to avoid a lengthy circumnavigation. Since speeds are about five miles an hour, it isn’t dangerous. The police don’t patrol because there isn’t enough crime (in my town: the big cities are as bad as ours) to justify it. It works. Everybody is happy, which isn’t a crime in Mexico.
I wish we could make this a sticky. It summarizes the situation very nicely. And this is why there is not going to be a peaceful resolution to the invasion. The two cultures are simply too different and the invading culture sees no reason to change.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I wish we could make this a sticky. It summarizes the situation very nicely. And this is why there is not going to be a peaceful resolution to the invasion. The two cultures are simply too different and the invading culture sees no reason to change.
I'd like to make this a sticky .

Quote:
Mexico is radically, substantively, ferociously different from the United States," Jorge Castañeda, formerly Mexico's foreign minister, observed in 1995.

Rural Mexicans have dominated the migrant wave, bringing a country-style sense of time and priorities. For Americans, a transfer of Mexican rural culture to our neighborhoods leaves many feeling overwhelmed.

"Certain Mexicans can subscribe to a series of rules, from traffic regulations to work discipline and punctuality; others can decide, consciously or otherwise, that they prefer not to," Dr. Castañeda wrote.
Illegal immigration exacerbates the natural tension in American society by injecting more change than can be absorbed – and by defying laws designed to control the rate of change. When immigration restrictionists protest defiance of "law and order," they reveal anger at the cultural revolution Latino immigrants bring – a revolution many U.S. citizens feel powerless to stop

Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,373,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so he does not believe in freedom of speech?
Only if you agree with him, otherwise no.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Thanks. I've known and been associated with illegal Mexicans for forty years now, and my gripe isn't against "them", as people, it's against this "new" idea that they don't need to assimilate, because "All of us", and "all our cultures" are "just the same"..THAT'S what really 'chaps my hide'. It's nonsense.

I totally agree that if ONE WORD had to be applied to the culture of recent illegals, vs the culture of middle-class America, that word would be "Country"...these folks are by-and-large "country people", and when they bring their "country values" to the big city, the results are often not good. In LA County, in recent years, the Sherriff's Department always makes public service announcements on TV and radio, around Christmas time, reminding "all of us" that It Is Against The Law To Fire Our Rifles And Pistols Into The Air At Midnight on New Year's Eve..and that this can HURT people, and that whoever does it CAN be prosecuted. It's pretty obvious that this message is aimed at SOME of us....though just WHO, is never EXACTLY spelled out.

"Country people" is a pretty good description. For better or for worse, the values one lived by "back on the ranch" don't ALWAYS fit in when you move to middle class America. Lots of misunderstandings are the predictable result. And if you're illegal, you're even FARTHER from 'fitting in', because theoretically, you can't even 'ask'.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Do you understand that simply having an address in the US does not make someone an American? An illegal alien with a TX address is still an illegal alien.
It makes them a resident of TX. TX emergency rooms serve TX residents.

When I am in Mexico and need Medical attention I go to a Mexican Quick care or a Mexican Emergency Room. What do you folk do? Fly home to have your heart attack?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It makes them a resident of TX. TX emergency rooms serve TX residents.

When I am in Mexico and need Medical attention I go to a Mexican Quick care or a Mexican Emergency Room. What do you folk do? Fly home to have your heart attack?
Do you pay for your healthcare or do you leave the Mexican taxpayer holding the bag? If you require healthcare while in Mexico, does the fact that you are not on U.S. soil automatically make you a resident of Mexico?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration