U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:19 AM

494 posts, read 648,164 times

Advertisements

While Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has been very secretive about his stance on illegal immigration during the campaign, he gave us a peek into what he really thinks about it at a black-tie dinner capping the end of a Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute gathering in Washington.

Link.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,101,099 times
so he does not believe in freedom of speech?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 AM

3,081 posts, read 3,343,163 times
Bingo! American citizens will be paying and paying and paying for them to live here free of charge, and we just have to buck up and like it. No way no Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so he does not believe in freedom of speech?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times
As much as I HATE racism, xenophobia, unkindness, and "mean-spiritedness", this link disturbs me. ANY attempt to curb SPEECH, or IDEAS, by censoring public discussion should concern everyone. It's 'creepy', it's '1984-like', and it's simply unacceptable. Americans have always had access to ALL ideas, bounded only by a few norms inthe area of obscenity and incitement to violence. Otherwise, this is AMERICA..and if you don't LIKE someone's idea, you rebut it, or you walk away...you DON'T take away his right to speak.

BAD BAD idea, with no possible end in sight. Once again, what I find PARTICULARLY disturbing is hearing this from a candidate for President.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As much as I HATE racism, xenophobia, unkindness, and "mean-spiritedness", this link disturbs me. ANY attempt to curb SPEECH, or IDEAS, by censoring public discussion should concern everyone. It's 'creepy', it's '1984-like', and it's simply unacceptable. Americans have always had access to ALL ideas, bounded only by a few norms inthe area of obscenity and incitement to violence. Otherwise, this is AMERICA..and if you don't LIKE someone's idea, you rebut it, or you walk away...you DON'T take away his right to speak.

BAD BAD idea, with no possible end in sight. Once again, what I find PARTICULARLY disturbing is hearing this from a candidate for President.
My sentiments exactly! No doubt, Janet Murguia and her minions at La Raza, are pressuring Obama to “stop the hate”. Any speech La Raza, et al. consider anti-illegal is automatically labeled “hate” speech. We must fight this infringement on our constitutional rights.

The sheeple are so busy arguing over ‘he said, she said’ nonsense, they are oblivious to the ‘real’ issues. People had better get their heads out of the sand, and realize what’s happening to this country, before we lose all of our rights as Americans.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM

638 posts, read 1,640,148 times
Rip apart the legal-speak of this paragraph, and it clearly shows Obama does represent the people of this country.

There is only one purpose of anyone elected to any office, and that is to serve; whether it is the country, the state, or the community, it is we, the people, who the elected representatives are responsible for, and they answer to. You can not have two masters.

Remove Obama from the stage.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,142,855 times
You know what? He was speaking to a Hispanic group. How many politicians pander in front of a crowd then do the opposite when they're in office? All of them.

Take this with a grain of salt.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,545,533 times
Silliness. He is going to stop the demagoguery by passing immigration reform. McCain is going to do the same thing.

Any rational government is going to do the same thing.

There simply is no other way to gain control of illegal immigration.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Silliness. He is going to stop the demagoguery by passing immigration reform. McCain is going to do the same thing.

Any rational government is going to do the same thing.

There simply is no other way to gain control of illegal immigration.
Watch the economy: if it continues to tank.............there will be more emphasis on deportations, etc. Hell; many of the illegals will continue to self deport if no one hires 'em----------especially with the multiplying laws against said illegals.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,545,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Watch the economy: if it continues to tank.............there will be more emphasis on deportations, etc. Hell; many of the illegals will continue to self deport if no one hires 'em----------especially with the multiplying laws against said illegals.

We agree that the economy is a big motivator. But it is selective. Those with roots will stay while the young single guys will go home.

I can even see it cutting the illegal population by 20 or 25% but that is likely it. And that will turn around real fast if the economy picks up in a year or so.

I am skeptical that the local laws have much impact. I think Vegas is losing hispanics quicker than Phoenix though the Vegas legal climate is much friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration